Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#50235 - 09/08/00 07:35 PM Don't speak Spanish -- travel to Spain???
Karir0703 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I am planning on going to Spain, flying into Madrid but I don't speak Spanish. I have the "tourist" phase book and don't mind looking stupid to try and speak it but I'm worried about getting around.

Should I be worried or do a lot of people speak English?

Thanks for any advise,

#50236 - 09/08/00 08:17 PM Re: Don't speak Spanish -- travel to Spain???
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
You can get by with minimal tourist book Spanish. People in hotels, even modest ones, usually have some English sort of speaking someone; in hostales, less so. Do you know another Romance lang? (french, italian) many words will look familiar if so. Lots of non-spanish speakers go to spain, and i wouldnt be at all afraid of it. I would, however, bring a good phrase book and try out some basic stuff. donde esta... por favor, you know!

#50237 - 09/09/00 05:44 AM Re: Don't speak Spanish -- travel to Spain???
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
not to worry, you'll be just fine. what i would recommend is an excellent phrase book. to my friends i've always told them that lonely planet's phrase book is by far the best i've seen. do remember that you will be under restrictions even with a phrase book. not to fret though, people will be very accomodating to you. i've personally never seen someone who doesn't speak spanish be terribly berated or ignored. i'm not saying this doesn't happen, but don't worry. between what little you can muster in spanish, the little english they may or may not possess, and a bit of patience...you'll have a great time.
in regards to how widely english is spoken...honestly, not that much. in the large cities' hotels and museums you'll find those that do. however, around most of town, on the street and in the countryside you're guaranteed 9 times out of 10 you will not.

#50238 - 09/09/00 07:18 AM Re: Don't speak Spanish -- travel to Spain???
steveaqui Offline

Loc: Inglaterra
You should be able to manage with:

Hola! hello

QUIERO: I want. Then use sign language or point to the name in a book etc.

Donde esta (said as Donday) Where is? then the place you want.

and finally

Gracias with the c as th.

Good luck

#50239 - 09/09/00 08:12 AM Re: Don't speak Spanish -- travel to Spain???
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Don't worry, you'll be fine. I remember once that I was in Atocha (in Madrid) and I saw a big group of people there. I went becasue I was vry curious, in the middle was a chinese girl that didn't speak any Spanish (or other language except Chinese). The people there tried to understand her question (she was lost). They tried with English, French and German. Finally someone went to a hotel near to get a map of Madrid. They show her the map and with signs thay asked her where she wanted to go. Finally we were able to help her. Even if you don't speak Spanish people will try to help you (most of the people) you won't look stupid at all.

#50240 - 09/11/00 12:24 PM Re: Don't speak Spanish -- travel to Spain???
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
The spanish people are so very helpful and even if you don't speak spanish they will try to work with you like Nuria said, you will be fine, good luck!!!

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#50241 - 09/12/00 03:15 AM Re: Don't speak Spanish -- travel to Spain???
francisco Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hello,

Sadly, there´s not too many people that speak English in Spain. But if you speak slow to someone under 30, I don´t think you have to look for too much before you find someone who can help you.

(Although his/her English probably will be as bad as mine ;-)

Saludos.

#50242 - 10/04/00 07:32 AM Re: Don't speak Spanish -- travel to Spain???
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
In my many years of mutilating the Spanish language in Spain I have never been laughed at or made to feel uncomfortable for my inadequate speaking skills. The Spaniards are undoubtedly among the world's most gracious people in accommodating those who speak their language poorly, or not at all--unlike natives of some other countries I might mention.

I think it has to with pride. My feeling is that Spaniards are so relieved to escape the potential embarrassment of speaking English imperfectly (if that is the case) that they will welcome and accommodate any effort on your part to speak Spanish. Just my little theory. So use whatever Spanish you have fearlessly.
Cantabene

#50243 - 10/04/00 06:15 PM Re: Don't speak Spanish -- travel to Spain???
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
All of the above posts are valid IF you plan on staying in the "tourist" areas. In other parts of the city and in the pueblos it's very easy to be ignored. Try standing in line at the local Dia meat counter where you´ll be ignored and old ladies in black clothes will step on your toes to get in front of you. Or bartering for anything at the local rastro for that matter. As with anything though. The more you practice the better experience you´ll have.

Leche

#50244 - 10/04/00 06:31 PM Re: Don't speak Spanish -- travel to Spain???
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Don't worry, Be Happy! You are going to Spain!
I just returned from Spain and it was apparent to me that most tourist orientated establishments did a pretty nice job accomadating English speakers. You will run into countless English speakers on holiday (or vaccation depending on their origin). These anglophones can help steer you in the right direction. BTW, most large tourist sites offer tours in Spanish, and English so don't fret. A good phrase book and the willingness to try it out will endear you to the non-English speakers, and will enable you to see the nation away from the tourist herd.

Buen Viaje!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments