Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#50174 - 12/10/00 12:59 PM Re: Black in Spain
MarkB Offline

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
CaliBasco, you've never met a more Anti-Minnite than me No, seriously, my problems with MN aren't race-based (hey, it isn't anyone's fault they were born someplace almost entirely made up of a single ethnic group (twin cities excepted, of course). My problem is more with the Creator- who in the hell would make a place so damn cold?! It just ain't right.

Sheba- I just returned from Spain, and I'll have to say, based on my conversations and observations, racism isn't going to be a problem there. I wish you well and much luck on your trip there.

#50175 - 12/11/00 02:20 PM Re: Black in Spain
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
ok, how many people clicked on stickupforminnesota.com just to see if it really was a link!?

#50176 - 12/11/00 02:27 PM Re: Black in Spain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Calibasco caught me with that trick before on another post. I felt like a total dork, but I've figured out his game. Can't fool me now buddy!

#50177 - 12/14/00 08:09 PM Re: Black in Spain
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
Oh my gosh! (That's a Minnesota thing, doncha know). I've been studying for finals and decided to take a break, maybe check in with my Spanophile friends, and lo and behold! You guys have really been talking. Thanks to everyone for all the comments, reassurances, opinions, disagreements and general all around things said to think about. You know, I get all warm and fuzzy when I read them and I sort of cried from so much...giving.

I am especially interested in flowergirl's trip. Please tell me, flowergirl, all about it when you get back, or if you have internet access, I'd be so happy to receive e-mails from you while you are in Spain.

And Calisbasco...you are so...ay...what do we do with you cuando esta muy loco. You made me laugh, now I must carry you in my heart everywhere.

And yes, MarkB, you are right about Minnesota. The other morning I woke up to the determinedly cheerful weather man telling me that it was going to be -32 windchill and a high of 0 degrees. Needless to say, I wish someone would take away my land too and send me to Spain.

#50178 - 12/15/00 10:47 AM Re: Black in Spain
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Sheba-
Welcome "back". I think of all my Minnesota friends every morning when I log on to start the day and I have www.wcco.com (this is a real link, Nicole :P) as my homepage...11º degrees and a winter storm warning today! Stay warm, Sheba, with thoughts of the tideless Mediterranean lapping on the shores of Denia, while sipping a drink and soaking in the warm "Spanish Riviera" sun...aaahhh!

#50179 - 12/21/00 01:25 PM Re: Black in Spain
Bunny Offline

Wow, I can't believe I didn't know about this site before I went to Spain and now that I've come back home I see it! Aargh!

Anyway, for Sheba, I wanted to give you my first-hand experiences about being black in Spain. I am a 23-year-old black woman who just ended a three-month internship in Madrid. I went to work everyday and lived with a Spanish woman who took in people from all over the world. (by the way, she has a contract with NYU so I lived with two students in that NYU in Madrid program.)

I was worried, like you, that there might be a certain unique set of problems that I would face being black in Spain. It is true that there isn't a large minority (of any type) population in Madrid, but you will see various people of all races and colors there.

Everyone is right about the staring, but my two white male roommates said they got stares for wearing baggy jeans and sweatshirts instead of the typical sweater/tight pants combo Spanish men seem to prefer . I think the Spanish just stare at something that's different. It's not hatred or dislike.

This is not to say that the society is perfect. Spain's unemployment level is growing, and some blame "foreigners" of all types for causing this. You might hear certain people blaming Latin Americans or Moroccans for crime, etc., but that seems to be true in all countries dealing with an influx of newcomers (Switzerland, for example. I was just there...)

However, no one follows you around in stores, looks at you oddly if you walk into a bar/club/social gathering, cab drivers do stop for you and everyone is very friendly. The fact that I was black was never mentioned by any of the Spaniards I had regular contact with. I was seen more as an American and was seen as having more in common with my white American roommates than the African immigrant down the street. (which is true) This was unlike in the U.S., where people seem to lump people together by race only, instead of class, background, geographical area, etc... (which can often be more determinant of a person's background than skin color!)

The key to survival (no matter what race you are) is... speak Spanish!!! I went there knowing some Spanish, so I survived in the beginning, and then when I learned more I was able to talk with the people. I got many compliments for "speaking great Spanish for an American," which I guess was a compliment.

As for men... I must say, I got more dates and attracted more interest than I ever did in the USA! Sure, I wondered if it was a black fetish thing, but I honestly don't think so in most cases. I just don't think race was an issue for them like it might have been at home in the USA. In fact, I might be back in Spain for a week next summer as I have been invited by a relative of the lady of the house to visit Las Canarias... yes, he offered to pay for my ticket.

Enjoy yourself Sheba! We can e-mail personally if you have further questions. I've only been back for 2 weeks, so my memories of Spain are still fresh and I'd love to share!

Love,
Bunny

#50180 - 12/21/00 01:40 PM Re: Black in Spain
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
NURIA, LECHE AND SEVILLE
YOU SEE, BUNNY'S WHITE FRIEND WAS WEARING BAGGY PANTS. NURIA WOULD YOU BE SCARED OF HIM?

#50181 - 12/21/00 01:43 PM Re: Black in Spain
Bunny Offline

P.S.

I also went to Lisbon for a weekend with a blond, blue-eyed white female friend and we loved it. Yes, it is a bit less developed than Spain, France, etc., but we found the people to be very friendly and GENUINELY excited to meet Americans. They said they learned English in school but never got to use it.

I was nervous at first about people approaching us like this, but they really just wanted to talk. I think everyone can have good or bad experiences in a city/country/etc., but if you do want to go to Portugal and have the opportunity, go for it!!!!

Oh, and there are tons of black people in Portugal, most from places like Angola and Mozambique, the former Portuguese colonies in Africa. (just keeping with the theme of the topic!)

#50182 - 12/21/00 03:17 PM Re: Black in Spain
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Bunny,
I am glad you found MM's site and gladly shared your experience "Black in Spain". My daughter who is mixed black is in Madrid doing a semester and just like you basically have the same experiences. I totaly agreed with you "unlike in the U.S., where people seem to lump people together by race only, instead of class, background, geographical area, etc... (which can often be more determinant of a person's background than skin color!)". She found the Spaniards very accepting of her and the willingness to know who is she.
Happy Holidays & a Prosperous New Year!

#50183 - 12/21/00 04:23 PM Re: Black in Spain
Bunny Offline

Dear Mclarke,

I have read many of your posts on this site and am happy for you and your daughter! My parents came to visit me in Spain for Thanksgiving and had a wonderful time. Even though they spoke no Spanish and had to have me do all the talking/translating for them! It was also great that they got to go to my house and meet the senora and my roommates. Now they really understand what a study-abroad program is like.

I wish I could have been able to meet your daughter. There might have only been 2-3 degrees of separation between us, as many Americans I met knew other Americans in various study abroad programs over there.

I am glad to be back in the U.S., just because I miss some of the "creature comforts" I'm used to. But I also miss the hustle and bustle of the Madrid streets and walking down the street at midnight if I pleased!

Perhaps I'll go back for a longer period in the future, but since I'm now done with school, I have to settle down and get a job! But in two years or so, I think I might do some evaluations...

In the meantime, I look forward to going to the Canary Islands this summer and I hope to also get in a trip to Pais Vasco and maybe Valencia... I'll keep you all posted!

Happy holidays and have fun in Spain! I can't wait to hear your stories!

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments