MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 13 >
Topic Options
#50094 - 08/24/00 10:51 AM Re: Black in Spain
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
rgf-
that really makes sense given our Puritan background. How many times have our mothers told us that it's not polite to stare!!

#50095 - 08/24/00 11:14 AM Re: Black in Spain
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I guess that it is not polite to stare because the people who is being stared feels uncomfortable, thinking if she/he has something on his teeth or face or something like that. But in Spain I guess you don't feel uncomfortable becasue you know there is not something wrong with you, it is just people like to stare.

#50096 - 08/24/00 11:50 AM Re: Black in Spain
Jen Offline

Nuria-
Are you saying that Spaniards never get anything caught in their teeth? (While rowing a boat at the Retiro, while watching the storks, while wearing gym shoes?)

#50097 - 08/24/00 02:51 PM Re: Black in Spain
Nuria Offline

Mmmmmmmmm, I don't know, let me think... That never happened to me but... Okay, I have it, there is another think that Spaniard do. We use those small wooden sticks that I don't know the name (MADRIDMAN, WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO PUT A DICTIONARY HERE FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME?????????????? ) and they clean between your teeth (se llaman palillos). I think here is rude to use them so I have to be extra-carefull when I go to a restaurant.

#50098 - 08/24/00 02:57 PM Re: Black in Spain
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
toothpicks nuria

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#50099 - 08/24/00 04:52 PM Re: Black in Spain
Nuria Offline

Gracias!!!!!!!

#50100 - 08/24/00 08:04 PM Re: Black in Spain
Wendy E Offline

#50101 - 08/24/00 09:45 PM Re: Black in Spain
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
Thanks to all who replied to my query. I really appreciate all of the advice and just wanted you all to know that I feel much better now.

Also, my copy of Richard Wright's "Pagan Spain" is on its way. Madrid Man was right when he stated that the book is out of print, but I found out-of-print copies for sale on the juggernaut (and some in the book business would say evil) empire of barnesandnoble.com.

As for the state of staring. I was also taught not to stare at people when I was a child, mostly out of respect for the personal space. But it was also because staring can be interpreted as a come on, an insult, or a voyeuristic leaning.

I suppose the logic is that you do not stare at other people so that they feel that they have complete freedom to go about the business of living without an audience. Since the majority of us are not trained to walk around as actors in our everyday, this logic has merit.

Still, I have become quite comfortable with being stared at and when I am irritated by it, I stare back (not rudely, but just to let the person know I know they are staring).

#50102 - 08/25/00 10:55 AM Re: Black in Spain
Jen Offline

Sheba-
I wouldn't count out Lisbon. I was there twice so far and didn't exactly have the best of luck while there, but it is a beautiful and interesting city. Even if things may not turn out as we plan them, it really helps to have a sense of humor about everything and just roll with it. Have fun.

#50103 - 08/25/00 12:48 PM Re: Black in Spain
Angela Offline

Ok, this has nothing to do with the "black in Spain" subject. It's an answer to the toothpick/palillo question and Nuria's request for a dictionary. www.vox.es has an online dictionary.
Now that I think about it...if you get a piece of calamar en su tinta or a black olive caught between your theeth while you are in Spain...

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 13 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments