Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5006 - 01/16/03 11:05 AM Hostals are NOT just for the budget-minded
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Hostals are not just for "budget-minded travelers"!!! A GOOD hostal offers the traveler a more authentic view point of the country as well as a friendly, helpful, personal touch. The fact that they cost less is just a bonus!! When we travel to new places, we tend to spend very little time in our hotel room. I do appreciate a high quality bed and clean facilities, but a high price does not always guarantee a good stay!!

Many STILL relate the word hostal to flea bag youth places, forgetting that many of Spain's hostals are like our B&B's without the breakfast. :p Yes, some are dives, but thankfully we have this website to keep us away from those!!!

#5007 - 01/16/03 11:47 AM Re: Hostals are NOT just for the budget-minded
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
sel, I couldn't have said it all better myself!! Thanks! I too prefer hostales because of that personal touch, you do business with real, hard-working people, often families, and you can get a peak into their daily lives. For many, this is the ONLY glimpse a tourist has into the deep culture of the Spanish people themselves.

I don't mind having a small room and smaller bathroom and I love the added bonus of a balcony facing the busy street. TV is fine but rarely watched. Cleanliness is a must and I've yet to find one which wasn't but am sure some exist. I also like the old, LARGE street-level entries with their HUGE wooden doors and wide, old, wooden staircases and antique elevators (when they have them). Some of the woodwork can be very beautiful too.

PRO-hostel, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5008 - 01/20/03 04:50 PM Re: Hostals are NOT just for the budget-minded
totil@totil.com Offline

Loc: Reykjavik
Totaly agree. Only bad places we stayed in last time were the big, multistorey cheepo Hotels. Hostals are more personal. People live there. They want you to have a good impression of their home.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments