Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#49977 - 07/25/00 02:57 PM What is it about Spain?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Why do people love Spain so much?

I got weepy at the airport when I left after my first trip. I went back and lived there 13 years, very happily. I miss it now I'm in the US again. But I can't put my finger on just what it is that makes me, and apparently an awful lot of other people, love it so much.

Sometimes I think it's just that the dust settled in my bones. I also love the ever-present mountainous horizon and the big Spanish sky.

Any ideas?

#49978 - 07/25/00 03:34 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Spain is in my bones, too. Here's some of the reasons: totally different cultural climates in so many regions; the idea that the afternoon begins at 2 and ends at, oh, 10 or 11; the kindness of lots of folk, and the general ok attitude of most; kids in the plazas at midnight; menu del dia with wine; the smell of cafe con leche. I also think for north americans, being around a culture that is thousands of years old appeals to us. The "new" cathedral in Salamanca is older than any bldg in the U.S.!!
rgf

#49979 - 07/25/00 03:50 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
i definitely have to agree, i want to rush over there so bad right now!

------------------
San Lorenzo del El Escorial Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#49980 - 07/25/00 04:44 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
GREAT thread idea, Diana! rgf, I agree with you too. The "age" of Spain appeals to me too. Plus, knowing that it's because of this country that my own [continent] was discovered in 1492 is BIG in my mind.

I also think we (or at least I) admire a social system/culture that binds children with parents and parents with parents all in one very very close nuclear/extended family and is something most would like in our own families.

The pace of life. Spaniards have told me that they're not as "slow paced" as the world thinks, but still, I believe they're more calm, more fulfilled, less stressed than us here in the USA at least.

The general safety of the Spain is also something I think we all appreciate, knowing we can walk through a big city at 3am and feel comfortable that you won't be attacked by a gang of thugs looking to do whatever they want just for fun because there's no one else on the street.

But like any country, Spain has their share of problems. So what is it? It's a smell. It's an attitude. It's family. It's THE FOOD. It's the passion. It's age and beauty of architecture. It's public transportation. It's "riding the rails" (trains). It's history. It's SO many things and I love it. I LOVE SPAIN!!!!!!

Muchos Saludos, MadridMan

----------------------------
See Madrid & Sevilla with all their golden, Spanish magic through MadridMan's Madrid & Sevilla Videos .

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 07-25-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#49981 - 07/25/00 06:30 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Madridman is right on all counts! One more thing, though: to love Spain you MUST love the language. You must want to try to know how to express yourself, even if basically. The thrill of asking for a bocadillo de calamares y una cana, and then asking cuanto es? cannot compare to the English-only method some visitors try. So... learn some Spanish, and the doors will open very wide. Another thing to love about Spain: the cities are exciting and the small towns are quaint. So take your pick. If you are in a small town and go back to the same bar or restaurant two times, you are a REGULAR! Those of you who are in Spain right now: raise a cana and pincho de tortilla to those of us who wish we were still there. rgf

#49982 - 07/25/00 08:46 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
Spain has enchanted my heart, and warmed my soul. I feel at home in Spain, people tell me that perhaps I was from there in my former life, and I don't doubt it. Everytime I return I feel at home, I also feel happy, a happy feeling along with rested shoudlers. I have been dancing flamenco since last year and go several times a week to classes and rehearsals and started performing this year. I feel the connection, I feel the music, I feel Spain. And it is hard for people to understand me and why I feel this way. There are even some people that I have gone with and don't feel the same way. Like I have taken some friends with me to show them this magical place, but their experience was not the same as mine, then I understood, not everone will have the feeling I have, and I can't force that either, I wanted them to have the fun I had, and like the things about it, and some people are just not into it. But me, it's my Nirvana, it's my home. When I went to Spain the first time I went by myself for a month, it saved my sanity and gave me a new life within me. It opened doors in my heart that I never knew were there to be opened. I discovered a whole new world I never knew was out there. When I go there I feel great and alive. And I know there are people in this forum that understand that! That's why I am moving there, i'm going back home, where I belong! Que Vive Espana en mi corazon siempre!

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#49983 - 07/26/00 09:21 AM Re: What is it about Spain?
Brian Goldthorp Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes, yes, yes to all your comments, except.....
MadridMan - "discovered" in 1492! Being a Canadian, I can't resist telling you that Newfoundland is celebrating the 1000th anniversary this year of the Viking landings at L'Anse aux Meadows in northern Newfoundland. Nearly 500 years earlier, and actually on the continent rather than islands in the Caribbean! Check it out at http://www.gov.nf.ca/vikings . On the other hand...I'm betting all of us would rather be spending time in Spain than in Norway, so three cheers for "Los Reyes Catolicos" and that Italian they sent across the Atlantic!

[sorry Brian. I had to "fix" your URL to make it clickable]

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 07-26-2000).]

#49984 - 07/26/00 09:43 AM Re: What is it about Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Sorry Brian. I should have been more specific. I meant that it was in 1492 that "The New World" was discovered by civilized people. DOH! Hehehee.. Just kidding. I'm sure the American Indians who were living on the American continent didn't even know they were "lost" before they were "discovered". hehhehehehee...

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#49985 - 07/28/00 11:53 AM Re: What is it about Spain?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Thanks, everyone - I can really relate to everything you've all said. I thought it was really interesting that people brought up the age of things in Spain. I always thought that was something weird I felt. I get great comfort out of ancient buildings. It's as if they say -hey, we've been around a long time, and we're still here for your enjoyment. Very comforting. I'm also always impressed at how old and ancient peoples in Spain picked the most beautiful spots to build! Last year I visited Ullastret, in the Costa Brava region, where Iberian people built a city 4,000 years ago, in a truly stunning location. I guess even back then people were crazy about Spain!

I totally agree with the importance of family in Spain. Not only is family important within a family, but I find Spaniards respect others' families just as much.

There is something no one mentioned, and I wonder if any of you ever felt this way. I feel a much greater level of personal freedom in Spain than in the US. With very few exceptions, Spaniards are very accepting of people, regardless of their race, religion, sexual orientation, or opinions. Here in the States you have to be very careful of stepping on people's toes. Yes, you can say whatever you want here - freedom of speech, and all that, - but what about the consequences? Why, I can't even do some healthy waving-of-the-arms at other drivers when I'm on the road! I put my life in danger doing that! (That was one of the hardest habits I had to break when I came back here!) And in Spain, you can walk just about anywhere that looks interesting. Here everything seems to be personal property, and you BETTER respect that! So many restrictions, regulations, societal expectations...

Also, reading about Madridman's lady friend's feelings about signing papers - I can relate. There's a real respect for personal beliefs, and a right to privacy when it comes to sharing personal information in Spain. It rubbed off on me during my many years in Spain. I find it very disturbing that everyone in the States seems to want to know my name, address, phone number, social security number, personal shopping habits, income level, etc., etc. Just posting information on this board has been a huge hurdle for me to overcome! But at least it's my decision in this case, and not something someone needs for their own marketing purpose...(at least I hope so! I'm trusting you on this one, Madridman!)

[This message has been edited by Diana (edited 07-28-2000).]

#49986 - 07/28/00 12:38 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Diana, your personal secrets are safe with me......and, I'm sure, with the other 1,000+ telemarketers to whom I gave your social security number, income level, home address and telelphone number. YES!!! I'm kidding!! I know nothing more about you than you have posted in your public profile. But no, I don't do anything with anyone's email address. I'm a STRONG advocate of email address privacy.

Also, I agree with you about the sensation of one's personal safety/freedom in Spain compared to that in places like (here) the USA. As you said, we have TONS of rights to do almost anything we want, but my goodness! Say the wrong thing to the wrong person and BLAMMO!, you're swimming in your own blood. You don't have this worry at all in Spain. Thank God!

Saludos, MadridMan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments