Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#49952 - 07/19/00 04:23 PM Getting married...in Madrid!!!
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi,
Well, maybe this is a long silly story but I think it is kind of cute. My brother (from Spain) met my sister in law (from NJ) they felt in love, married and went to live to Madrid. Then they went back to NJ and had a beautiful baby so I came here to met my nephew. But...I met my sister-in-law's brother we felt in love and we got married last year. The ceremony was in Spain and I had many problems with the Church because they asked me for millions of certificates. Actually 2 days before the wedding we didn't know if we were getting married, but we did. After that I had to get my visa and I have to say that it was so easy (thanks to my sister-in-law) and I got it in a week. Someone stole our wedding pictures at the hostal so we only have some pictures that our family took. We couldn't go to a real honeymoon because we had to go to the American Embassy almost every day but we went to Marbella for a weekend. Now that I look back I think that my wedding was small and weird (a lot of funny things happened that day), my honeymoon was short, I don't have wedding pictures, I spent a week in the American Ambassy and I left my dear country I cannot believe that Michael (my husband) and I went throught all that, but I am the happiest girl in the world. We don't have any problem for the difference of the cultures and this country (USA) is being so good to me that I think I am starting to love it as much as I love Spain.
Well, that is my story I hope I didn't bore you too much.
By the way, if someone is getting married in Spain I have many information about what documentation you need to get married, how can you get your visa within a week, customs, bachelor parties, etc.

#49953 - 07/19/00 07:43 PM Re: Getting married...in Madrid!!!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
< Someone stole our wedding pictures at the hostal >
You stayed at a 'hostal' on your wedding night? If I had done that when I got married many years ago in Madrid, I would still be hearing about it from my wife. We honeymooned in Benidorm - way back when.
We had a story similar to yours; but rather than hermanos, it involved my wife's prima hermana (first cousin). She married an American Engineer (civilian) who worked for the U.S. Air Force at Torrejon AB. He and I were friends in the 'States.'

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 07-20-2000).]

#49954 - 07/20/00 09:17 AM Re: Getting married...in Madrid!!!
Nuria Offline

No, I didn't stay at a hostal in my wedding night! My mother-in-law stayed there and since she is a proffesional photographer she took the pictures at the wedding. The cameras and the films were at the hostal room when they stole them
Where did you get married? Did you have any problem with the Church?

#49955 - 07/26/00 12:40 PM Re: Getting married...in Madrid!!!
Angela Offline

Hey Nuria! Your story sounds familiar. My sister (a spaniard) married an american. They lived in spain for a couple of years, then move to the states. I came to visit, and met my brother in
law's best friend. We've been married 13 years.
By the way, I live in Jersey too.

#49956 - 07/26/00 03:22 PM Re: Getting married...in Madrid!!!
Nuria Offline

Finally!!!! I was looking for Spaniards is Jersey for a long time. I found one girl from Barcelona who is living is South Jersey and another one (from Barcelona too) who is living in Queens, NY. I only have been married for a year, but what an experience!!! Please, tell me how things are here for you, if you plan to go back to "La Madre Patria"...

#49957 - 07/27/00 05:57 AM Re: Getting married...in Madrid!!!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Nuria:
In reply to your question: We got married in Nuestra Sra del Pilar, my wife's parish Church en el barrio de Salamanca. I had to bring proof of my Baptism & Confirmation and someone to attest to my estado civil.

And here's something that might amuse you: As my Novia and I stopped outside the Church after the wedding ceremony, a friend of mine bolted out of the crowd toward the bride, he fell to one knee and kissed her hand. Was this Pepe's way of telling us he approved? I didn't know what to think - Ana Maria was quite flustered. It was the first time her hand had been kissed by a caballero. At the time one did not kiss the hand of a Senorita in Spain; now she was married and that made it all right.
I'll have to look up Pepe the next time I am in Madrid. His family used to have an appliance store just off the Plaza Mayor.

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 08-11-2000).]

#49958 - 08/11/00 12:48 AM Re: Getting married...in Madrid!!!
Rubia66 Offline

Loc: Webb City, Missouri USA
Just a little funny. I grew up in Spain, although I am American, we lived as Spaniards (my father is Colombian)I married an American military man at a large monistary outside of Madrid. There was a mountain of paperwork for the government, but from the Spanish side we got a Libro de Familia. Since my husband's Spanish ends with ordering a beer and asking where the bathroom is located, he is always telling people that he isn't even certain that we're really married! I tell him he has NO idea what he signed his name to!!!

#49959 - 08/14/00 01:45 AM Re: Getting married...in Madrid!!!
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Oh my gosh! I love this webpage. I just found it yesterday and I've already posted like 4 times. Nuria, tengo una pregunta par ti! Como conseguiste el visado en una semana? Me caso este ano con una Canaria. We are going to be married in San Diego but plan on living here for the first few years. I would definitely love any info or tips you could give me on getting a visa for my novia. Muchisimas gracias mi nina!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments