Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#49941 - 06/22/00 04:43 PM Re: totally different culture
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Although I think Ann has a few good points, I tend to disagree with her abut Spain.
When plannign a foriegn trip, you should expect things to be different.
Compared to America's southern states, Spain may well be a fast paced place to be. However, being from the south, I can tell you that it wasnt' that difficult getting around.
As for the food, yes it was different. Many aren't used to finding the hoof on the order of roast suckling pig, but hey, everyone's different. But, there's always something to eat. I went to the Hard Rock Cafe in Madrid as well and I can honestly say that I found a lot of other places with better food. (and they weren't American chain eateries.)
But, just like cultures, everyone in this world is different. Sorry you didnt' enjoy your trip Ann. Maybe America is more your style after all.

#49942 - 07/04/00 09:11 AM Re: totally different culture
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Ann, I am so sorry that you didn't like Madrid. I am from Madrid and I think it is a wonderful place. I am living in New Jersey right now and I can understand you because I didn't like this at first. But you get used to it and you start to appreciate things that are different from your own culture. About driving in Madrid...well, go to New York and tell me about your experience. Only one more thing, next time you write try to choose better words, because I felt insulted when you called "maniacs" to people from Madrid, I bet you didn't mean to insult nobody but anyway you did it.
Good luck next time you travel to a foreigner country.

#49943 - 07/04/00 10:04 PM Re: totally different culture
Mari99 Offline

Loc: Livonia MI USA
Ann,
I am so surprised you didn't like Spain. I didn't want to leave it. The food sometimes is bad, although that can happen anywhere. I think the pace of life in Spain is much slower than here in the USA, although most of the time I was in Andalucia studying and it is a little different than MAdrid although I thought the pace of life was slow there too. I am from the north of the USA though, Detroit. Try Andalucia next time if you didn't get to go there. It is wonderful. I was studying in Sevilla and it was great!!! Good luck traveling!!!

#49944 - 07/08/00 01:33 PM Re: totally different culture
davej Offline

Loc: Nerja, Málaga, Spain
I haven't been around for a few days after a computer crash (don't ask ..!) and have been saddened to see this thread.

Sure, there will be people who don't like Madrid - or any other city / country you could name. The Spanish are a very individual, proud race and this is reflected in their culture. While the US fast food chains have made inroads (but luckily not where I live in Andalucia), there is always a desire to maintain tradition and support the local culture - stemming (I believe) from the importance of the family and its values in this country.

It is a wonderful country for anyone who takes the trouble to find out about it - and importantly, it's not like what you're used to at home ...

... which is why I like it.

If you have never been here, don't be put off. Try it.

#49945 - 07/24/00 10:39 AM Re: totally different culture
Mr. International Offline

Loc: Denmark - Scandinavia
Hi Ann,

Look - Europe in generel is different from the US. The north and south of Europe are VERY different from one another.

The spanish kitchen is not any famous, like the french is.

You did not like it - ok not a big deal, but make sure you have an open mind :-)

#49946 - 07/25/00 05:34 AM Re: totally different culture
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Hello,Mr International:
You wrote: "The spanish kitchen is not any famous, like the french is." If your comment refers to the Spanish cuisine, you couldn't be more mistaken. The Spanish cuisine is different from the French and IMHO healthier and better overall than French cuisine. Mine may be the first response you get in defense of Spanish cooking, but if this comment were on the proper thread (Food, Drink & Entertainment) it would draw many objections.

#49947 - 07/25/00 11:07 AM Re: totally different culture
Mr. International Offline

Loc: Denmark - Scandinavia
Hi Eddie,

Well, that is just my experience and oppinion as an european. If I should point something out that would make it special it would be the tapas.

I have have lived in spain for 2 years.

I'm not stating this lines to offend anybody.

regards
Mr.I

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments