Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4929 - 12/17/02 11:23 PM Estepona in February/March
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I have found a couple large resort type hotels in Estepona, but has anyone ever stayed at a smaller place?

I will be in Málaga for 2 weeks beginning the 24th of February. Since the 28th is a holiday, I will have a long weekend to explore new areas.

I suppose this could even be a day trip....

What is it like in February in Estepona????

#4930 - 12/18/02 08:29 AM Re: Estepona in February/March
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
It's my town, sel. It takes me less than an hour to go to the centre of Malaga from Estepona, so it certainly can be a day trip, although I think it deserves spending a couple of days there, but I may be baised. wink Where exactly are you staying - in the city or along the coast?

Weatherwise it could be freezing (relatively!), wet and windy.... but it could equally be gloriously warm and sunny too - it's the luck of the draw in winter. This morning was grey, dark, wet and miserable on my way to work and four hours later its a very pleasant day indeed, with not many clouds visible as I look out the window.

What hotels in Estepona are you looking at? The larger ones tend to be out of town, spread out on the coast road and I would think that the smaller hostales in the town centre are a better bet if you want to get the feel of the place. Contact Puna for advice, as she has stayed in a nice little place overlooking a pretty square in the centre of town.

It is a really, really nice Spanish town, with surprisingly few foreign accents to be heard in the streets, unlike neighbouring places along the coast such as Torremolinos, Fuengirola etc.

Enjoy your stay! smile

#4931 - 01/02/03 12:46 PM Re: Estepona in February/March
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Did Puna ever make a suggestion for a hostal in Estepona? I think that we, too, will include it on our itinerary as we have many fond memories of weeks/months spent near there (rental villa in an urbanizacion west of town). But I remember the main plaza. It seems there are two (maybe more?) hostales there. The other choice is on the main road near the promenade and quite noisy, I believe.

#4932 - 01/02/03 10:50 PM Re: Estepona in February/March
Gloria_dup1 Offline

Loc: Casper, Wyoming
Can you tell us more about Estepona and the beach?
How far is it from the city center? If one stayed in one of the hostals there, is the beach within walking distance? Would it be a nice place for people traveling with their kids? Are there nice, reasonable places to eat?

Thanks,

Gloria

#4933 - 01/04/03 06:02 AM Re: Estepona in February/March
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

You're right Carole. There are a couple of hostels in the little square and Puna stayed at one of them, which could have been called Hostal La Peña, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll check next time I pass by and confirm it. Try sending her a private message as I know she will respond when chiringuitos she gets a minute, because she's been a bit busy of late!

Everywhere is within a few minutes walk of the beach, which is clean and sandy, although a few little stones at the water's edge in some places. Lots of chiringuitos or beach bars on the promenade too, which offer some good seafood.

There have been many improvements to the town in recent years, but it retains its unspoilt charm in a big way. Read more here http://www.infoestepona.com/infoestepona_eng/index.shtml or here http://www.andalucia.com/estepona/home.htm

Incidentally, the andalucia.com site is so, so good. I just got sidetracked looking at different pages. The what's on guide is really comprehensive and bang up to date and you can find virtually everything you want to know about this region here. And no, MM, I don't know them!! wink

#4934 - 01/04/03 11:39 AM Re: Estepona in February/March
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Anchovy Front wrote:
Quote:
Incidentally, the andalucia.com site is so, so good. I just got sidetracked looking at different pages. The what's on guide is really comprehensive and bang up to date and you can find virtually everything you want to know about this region here. And no, MM, I don't know them!!
Well, I know the fine folks who own/operate Andalucia.com . (bragging? Hmmm...) In fact, I spent two nights at the owner's flat with him and his wife (both British) in Estepona and my room had a view of the Rock of Gibraltar!! (this was in 1999) (more braggin?? hmmm.. rolleyes ) Great people and yes, they have a 1st class website - DEFINITELY the best online for Andalucía.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#4935 - 01/05/03 01:18 PM Re: Estepona in February/March
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Was/is there a hostal called Los Naranjos, on the plaza, of course? Apparently not as I looked at the website. El Pilar? It's only one star. Anyone familiar with it? I will e-mail Puna as we have been in touch through the months. Thanks!

#4936 - 01/13/03 08:22 PM Re: Estepona in February/March
sel Offline

Well Anchovy Front, I would love to hear more about Estepona!!!

I am going to be in the city of Málaga for two weeks at a language school. There is a holiday February 28th which leaves me with a free long weekend. laugh

I am looking for a new place to explore, and I prefer small and friendly to big and commercial type locations. The fancy resort type places are really not what I am looking for. Since I am traveling alone, I would love to find a little hostal that is safe, secure, warm, and friendly!! What is there to do for 2 or 3 days in Estepona? I am hoping to get by without a car, although renting a car is an option.

#4937 - 01/13/03 09:30 PM Re: Estepona in February/March
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
sel, I have some photos of my visit to Estepona from a few years ago when I was, as stated above, visiting a married British couple whom were/are living there - right on the marina. It's certainly not touristy - well, it is to a point - but has plenty of British persons living there so that says something right there (NOT that I have anything against Brits, mind you!). There's the pedestrian Calle Real lined with shops and cafés. There's also the old moorish stone tower near the water. There's a cool, little fish market up the hill. I think some of the most "authentic" places to visit are up said hill in the real neighborhoods, white-washed walls and all. They have a nice, little "cathedral" too worth a look. Also, the long, beachside boardwalk with lampposts and palm trees and benches are quite nice.

The Andalucia.com page for Estepona is found @ http://www.andalucia.com/estepona/home.htm .

Enjoy! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#4938 - 01/25/03 01:42 PM Re: Estepona in February/March
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Today was the first chance I've had for a while to get into town and get more info on those hostels in the delightful Plaza de las Flores.

Hostal La Malagueña is the one that Puna stayed at and recommended. Their web site is www.arrakis.es/~hlm A double room with bathroom is 30 €

A few metres away is Hostal El Pilar www.anit.es/juanvit/hostal.htm Their double costs 39 € per night.

Both of these look out onto one of the nicest little squares you could wish to see, especially at this time of the year with all the orange trees laden with fruit and looking resplendent in the bright sunshine we are fortunate enough to be having these last few days. It was positively spring-like and warm strolling round this morning and the only foreign voice I heard was Mrs Anchovy's wink

#4939 - 01/25/03 03:34 PM Re: Estepona in February/March
sel Offline

Thanks so much for the information!! smile I may be visiting during the last weekend in February. I have decided to postpone my final decision until the last minute. There are so many places that I just don't know where I should spend my time!!!

#4940 - 01/31/03 01:44 AM Re: Estepona in February/March
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Thanks, Anchovy!! I had been wanting the website for Hostal La Malagueña and now I have it. I have already written to request reservations. Thanks to Puna and you!! --CC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments