Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#4822 - 11/05/02 02:34 PM Bancotel Checkbook - Any catches?
TorontoJoe Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Hi all,

Headed to Spain in late November. While searching for hotel information on this site I discovered the Bancotel Checkbook method of booking hotels. Wow, what deals!!!

I can't believe how much cheaper the hotels are when booked with Bancotel checks. It almost seems to good to be true. I therefore ask anyone who has used them, the following questions:

- Are there any catches that are not represented by Bancotel? eg. any hidden charges, etc?
- Are the rooms reserved for Bancotel check users substandard in any way? eg. garbage dumpster view?
- All rooms are "twin." I understand this means two people can use the room, but does this mean two single beds or one queen/king size. I'm travelling with my wife and would prefer one large bed.
- What am I missing here???

Any help, advice, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

joe

#4823 - 11/05/02 08:00 PM Re: Bancotel Checkbook - Any catches?
Lipstique Offline

Loc: Wichita, Kansas
I haven't been to Spain yet (I will be there in March), but I have been buying up the onesie and twosie vouchers that other people on this board weren't able to use.

Each checkbook has 5 vouchers (5 vouchers = 250 Euro). Each hotel accepts 1, 2 or 3 vouchers per night. If you don't play it right, you might have one or more left over vouchers. The vouchers expire on March 31st, which means if you have left overs you either need to sell them, go back to Spain and use them before March 31st, or else take a loss on the unused vouchers.

The 7% hotel tax is the one fee that Bancotel mentions which you will have to pay to the hotel. Otherwise, you will have to pay for incidentals, like telephone calls, minibar, etc. -- normal things that are not included in the price of the hotel room.

You can either have the checkbooks mailed to you at home or else sent directly to the first hotel you will use them at. From what I've read, hotels keep a supply on hand anyway.

You make your reservations online. However, if you change your mind and you don't cancel the reservation you made, you are still obligated to pay for the first night. You have to provide Bancotel with your credit card number once you make your reservation. Within moments you will get a confirmation by email.

Regarding beds, you will need to check the websites of the individual hotels. For example, the Westin Alfonso XIII in Seville has queen and king-sized beds, the Ritz in Barcelona has twin and king-sized beds. Just ask for a matrimonial bed, and you will be assured that at least 2 twin beds are pushed together.

One benefit that you can gain is to join the frequent hotel stay programs. For example, the Westin will accept the Bancotel vouchers and give you credit for your overnights plus the benefits (club floor, newspaper, etc.) just by providing your membership card at check-in. This valuable tidbit was told to me by Cityfishing.

Have a great time in Spain and if you have any left over vouchers, feel free to email me.

#4824 - 11/06/02 05:41 AM Re: Bancotel Checkbook - Any catches?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Late November you should be fine. Some Hotels accept Bancotel Cheques off season - not during 'High Season.' Some charge 2-cheques per night and some charge 3 cheques for 2-nights (locking you into a 2-night minimum stay). You can find all this info by going to the Bancotel pages and listing the Calendar for the Hotel(s) where you plan to stay.
Last summer, when I made a reservation at Hotel Santa Maria (in el Puerto de Santa Maria) I asked if they would accept Bancotel cheques. The reservationist said: "yes." Later, I decided not to use Bancotel cheques - it cost us 62-Euros (vs. 50 +7% if we had used Bancotel cheques). So they can be a good deal as long as you're going to use them all.

#4825 - 11/10/02 01:17 PM Re: Bancotel Checkbook - Any catches?
TorontoJoe Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Thanks all.

joe

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments