Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#47905 - 05/30/08 04:43 AM Madrid: Feria del Libro starts today!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Today begins the Retiro Park's Feria del Libro here in Madrid and will last until 15 June. There are 20 more "casetas" than last year. This year's temperatures, at least for the first few days, should be much lower than last year so put on your walking shoes, bring your cash, and prepare to browse, browse, browse the thousands of books available!

http://www.FeriaLibroMadrid.com/

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#47906 - 05/30/08 09:13 AM Re: Madrid: Feria del Libro starts today!
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
well that was a good read hope the thousands of books are as good and as easy to read help

#47907 - 05/31/08 05:07 AM Re: Madrid: Feria del Libro starts today!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

billy the man, ONLY if you read Spanish! laugh

I saw video of lots of book-lovers walking along the "paseo de libros" yesterday, all carrying umbrellas. Wow. What a month. Today it's supposed to rain too so I won't try to go until maybe mid-week.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#47908 - 05/31/08 07:08 AM Re: Madrid: Feria del Libro starts today!
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

"Quote"
billy the man, ONLY if you read Spanish!

Ah but i DO read Spanish

i just dont understand it thumbsup

#47909 - 05/31/08 07:55 AM Re: Madrid: Feria del Libro starts today!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hahhaa.. That reminds me of a popular late-night program I used to watch on Friday nights, broadcast out of Cleveland, Ohio USA (" Big Chuck and Hoolihan/Lil\' John Show ", late night B-movies), they would always casually mention things like, "I didn't know people in Cincinnati in Ohio even got us." and the sidekick would respond, "Well, they probably GET us ... but they don't understand us."

Anyway, I hope all of you in Madrid can get to the Fería del Libro while it's going on.

Saludos, MadridMan

#47910 - 06/03/08 09:57 AM Re: Madrid: Feria del Libro starts today!
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
MadridMan,

Please take some photos and post on your blog . As a certified book lover, I'm shamed I missed this fair. It would be a great reason to fly the Atlantic.

(please note: the next HQ for Admiral 44 will be a library with bathroom facilities)

#47911 - 06/03/08 03:54 PM Re: Madrid: Feria del Libro starts today!
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

yes and please post the pictures in english smile

#47912 - 06/16/08 09:49 AM Re: Madrid: Feria del Libro starts today!
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Well , the Feria del Libro finished yesterday in Madrid's beautiful Retiro Park , and I'm sure the organisers will confirm that it has been a great success . The weather was quite kind ( very hot towards the end ) and hundreds of thousands of people turned up .
I went first by mistake ! I'd taken a walk from my apartment to the park to clear my head after an illness and found myself right in the middle of the "feria" .
It was fantastic ! And it ran for just over 2 weeks being open every day until the evening ( 21:30 ) .
The book fair has been an event for some 75 years now and has actually taken place 67 times , only interrupted by the Guerra Civil ( civil war ) . Understandably it is loved by Madrilenos , old and young alike .
I think ,maybe , it was the large numbers of young people that impressed me most .
In an age of television and video games it was quite fantastic to see so many kids with such a passion for reading . It certainly gives you some hope for the future !
I'm not certain of the exact numbers but I understand there were about 350 stands ( casetas ) . They covered all aspects of life , leisure , and education . 'Beer Tents' and washroom facilities were all available and very well set up .
All the way through the festival authors were on hand to talk to or sign books , and indeed yesterday when I returned to the park , security had been drafted in to deal with the queues waiting for some of the more famous names .
Of course , the vast majority of authors are Spanish language writers , but some international authors such as Ken Follett were also on hand .
All in all the Feria del Libro is a fantastic event and one that Madrid is , and should be , justifiably proud of . Bravo Madrid !!

I have few photos and will display them once I work out how !

Steve

#47913 - 06/16/08 02:26 PM Re: Madrid: Feria del Libro starts today!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I can't believe I DID NOT make it to this year's Feria del Libro! Actually, I CAN believe it as it's been an incredibly busy last month. Oh well. rolleyes There's always next year.

Saludos, MadridMan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments