Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#47800 - 02/26/07 04:41 PM Madrid: looking for used stuff
embar31 Offline

Loc: Chicago, USA
I went to the Rastro market on Sunday, but it just wasn't what I was looking for. Everything was new, except, of course, for the antiques, but when I think of a flea market, i think of junk, like a garage sale. I am looking for a garage sale where I can buy small household goods (ie: trash can, laundry basket, cups...).

does such a place exist? Maybe there's a good 2nd hand store for this? Any ideas, please let me know. Cheers all.

#47801 - 02/27/07 04:06 AM Re: Madrid: looking for used stuff
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Garage sales are very unusual in Spain. I work for an American company and sometimes we have Americans on a long term assignment. When they are going to leave, some of them try to do a garage sale, and everybody here look at them like if they were Martians ("why the h*ll I am going to buy your toaster?")

The only second hand (chain) store I know is Cash Converters . 7 stores in Madrid.

#47802 - 02/27/07 05:06 AM Re: Madrid: looking for used stuff
embar31 Offline

Loc: Chicago, USA
Yes, I know Cash Converters from another country, but that is not the type of stuff I am looking for. I am really looking for garage sale junk for my room! I really don't want to pay 8euros for a little trash bucket! Anybody else have ideas?

#47803 - 02/27/07 10:50 AM Re: Madrid: looking for used stuff
spanishl Offline

Loc: Madrid
Second hand market and garage sales are a huge thing in the US, but not here in Spain. Probably down the road and in a few years people would stop buying all brand new stuff (all the consuming craziness is sort of new) and won´t feel ashamed to buy second hand stuff... I am eagerly waiting for this moment byself.

MadridMan, What about opening a "Garage Sale, Moving Sales" board??

#47804 - 02/27/07 04:12 PM Re: Madrid: looking for used stuff
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Embar31, there's a second-hand store near me but I don't recall the name. I'll check it out and post it here in the next few days. I just popped in there the other day and were selling used TVs, computers, monitors, gameboy games, DVD players, GPS units, and other stuff. I'll let you know.

spanishl, in part, that's one of the many reasons why I added the "Classifieds & Personals" forum category. People can post (and have in the past) moving sale details. But your idea is a good one. Truth is, I've already taken steps for something like a Garage Sale website for late 2007 or 2008.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments