Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#47555 - 10/21/05 04:59 PM Re: Bank of America fees...
lindah Offline

Loc: Seattle
When I went on the BofA site prior to my trip in May, I saw that they had partnerships with a few banks so that BofA customers could use those banks' ATMs w/o a fee. I just revisited the page on the BofA site and it says: Use your ATM card or Check Card within our Global ATM Alliance in the countries shown with no fees.

Barclays (United Kingdom)
BNP Paribas (France)
Deutsche Bank (Germany)
Santander Serfin (Mexico)
Scotiabank (Canada)
Westpac (Australia and New Zealand)

I actually called their customer service to ask whether or not I could use my ATM card at a Deutsche Bank ATM in Spain w/o a fee and I got two different answers (a Yes and then a No). My experience with BofA is that they'll charge you if they can. So, I opted to just use my credit union card at the ATMs in Spain. It would be great if someone could confirm whether they've used their BofA card at one of the alliance banks w/o a fee.

As a side note, I have used my BofA card in Canada at a Scotiabank and I wasn't charged a fee, so there's one positive about being a BofA customer.

Linda

#47556 - 10/21/05 06:22 PM Re: Bank of America fees...
migm77 Offline

Loc: USA
I just came back from Spain last Monday, and I do have and used a BOA ATM card at Deutsche Bank in Madrid. I did take money out twice, and twice I got charged with a $5.00 service fee for using the card. Hope this help.

#47557 - 10/29/05 10:57 AM Re: Bank of America fees...
La Profa Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
Lindah gave good advice, I too use my debit card from my Credit Union. I can take out money as many times as I'd like in Spain for no fee. smile But in the US I can only take out money from the Credit Union ATM without getting an additional $1.50 fee from the ATM. confused Go figure... I think in order to withdraw money as many times as you'd like you have to have direct deposit though. Ask your local Credit Union and they can help you work out all the details.

#47558 - 10/30/05 07:40 AM Re: Bank of America fees...
Granadina80 Offline

Loc: Granada as of 9/12
I absolutely DESPISE Bank of America! Not only do they charge you FIVE dollars each time you use their stupid card at a foreign ATM, but they ALSO charge you some other lovely fee (God only knows WHAT for) that ends up being around $3.50. (I usually withdraw 300 euros each time to avoid having to pay the fee so often.. not safe at all!!) So, altogether, you end up paying around 10 bucks to use another atm. How sweet. As SOON as I get back to the States I am closing my account! Everyone follow suit and we´ll teach the greedy rats a lesson!!!!! smile
(sorry, had to vent. have had nothing but problems with that bank since I got over here!)

#47559 - 10/30/05 01:28 PM Re: Bank of America fees...
mse924 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA / Madrid, Españ...
While I was living in Madrid, I found that US Bank worked really well. They're based in Milwaukee, but have branches all over the Midwest and Western states. There was only a $1.50 charge for ATM withdrawals and also it was easy because their debit cards are also Visa so you could use it as a credit card. Also, certain Spanish banks do NOT charge fees for using their machines...Caixa Laiteana (sp?...it's been a while) jumps to mind because there was one right next to my piso in Argulles/Moncloa.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 929 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments