Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#47451 - 02/19/05 02:56 PM Madrid: can i find brown sugar?
sincopated Offline

Loc: New York
i'm looking for brown sugar for a recipe, and no supermarkets in my neighborhood carry it. I can find unrefined sugar (like sugar in the raw) but not the moist brown sugar that we get in the US. Anyone know where I could find it? El Corte Ingles perhaps??

#47452 - 02/19/05 03:02 PM Re: Madrid: can i find brown sugar?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Ummm.... are you in Spain? I guess so since you mentioned El Corte Inglés. But where in Spain are you?? confused

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#47453 - 02/20/05 05:59 AM Re: Madrid: can i find brown sugar?
sincopated Offline

I'm in Madrid, madridman. Also -- while I'm at it, anyone know where I can buy rolled oats (avena) in bulk? I need a lot of it...at least 8 cups. Thanks!

#47454 - 02/20/05 08:50 AM Re: Madrid: can i find brown sugar?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm updating your subject line to reflect the city of reference. Remember, this is an ALL SPAIN Message Board - hence the name - so city locations are all-important. Thanks! smile And hope you find some brown sugar! Not sure if someone traveling there soon could "mule" some over for you or not. Can one take sugar/brown sugar through customs? Hmmm... interesting question.

By the way, sincopated, you might want to update your "my profile"'s personal information to show that you're in Madrid instead of New York. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#47455 - 02/20/05 11:52 AM Re: Madrid: can i find brown sugar?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi sincopated,

I know I bought brown sugar in Madrid, but the years are passing and I can't remember where. I do remember where I got avena, though - in herbolarios (they sell dried herbs and natural products). I found it easily in city and pueblo herbolarios. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you found brown sugar there, too. There was a big store in Majadahonda (western suburb of Madrid) where you could buy all kinds of natural products and excellent produce in large quantities. It was called Labandeiros, or something like that. It was one of my favorite stores in all of Spain. It's worth a trip just to see the beautiful tile work on the walls inside. Perhaps someone there now can confirm of they're still there.

#47456 - 02/20/05 11:54 AM Re: Madrid: can i find brown sugar?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
You can find brown sugar (azúcar moreno) almost in any supermarket. Avena could be find perhaps in big stores and herbolarios smile

Fernando

#47457 - 02/20/05 12:57 PM Re: Madrid: can i find brown sugar?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
hi sincopated... sounds like you are going to make a big batch of oatmeal cookies! smile

Fernando is right, brown sugar is readily available in most supermarkets. However, it isn't like the molasses laden variety you are used to from the States. No mind though, it has worked just fine in my chocolate chip cookie recipes.

I have found Quaker oats in many Hipercors around the city, but in a smaller can that probably had the equivalent of 3-4 cups.

Hope that helps!

#47458 - 02/20/05 03:23 PM Re: Madrid: can i find brown sugar?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
I bought some good brown sugar at the South American grocery store on Calle de los Reyes (a block and a half up from Plaza de Espana on the right).

But you can also make your own by buying molasses and adding it to regular sugar. You'll need to microwave or very slightly heat it to get it to mix well.

#47459 - 02/20/05 04:15 PM Re: Madrid: can i find brown sugar?
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
Domino Brown Sugar and Quaker Oatmeal has been available at the Taste of America on Calle Serrano near Plaza de la Republica Argentina. A bit pricy.

#47460 - 02/20/05 05:07 PM Re: Madrid: can i find brown sugar?
sincopated Offline

Good news -- after some internet searching, someone recommended a mexican product called panela -- it's just like our brown sugar in the states (not granulated dry sugar, but the molasses - "wet" kind). Lo and behold they carry it at my neighborhood mercado latino. yay!

as for oats, i figured going to the health food store would be fine as I know they carry it - I should check out a carrefour or something too though to see if i can buy bigger quantities...

thanks all for your help!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments