#47228 - 05/18/04 11:53 AM Re: food
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
Almost anything Asian.

#47229 - 05/18/04 03:59 PM Re: food
Chica Offline
Executive Member

I know of a few great Asian food stores in case anyone is looking for one.

#47230 - 05/18/04 08:25 PM Re: food
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
Sheryl, I agree, peanut butter. I have a Madrileño friend who lived here for one year and now lives under Skippy's spell. I smuggle at least two large jars from a wholesale club for him everytime I visit.

#47231 - 05/18/04 10:40 PM Re: food
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Silvita--

Personally, I go through phases with Peanut Butter. There are months that I eat it everyday. But, I can go years without it. However, whenever I am abroad for a long period of time, I find that the one item I truly miss (regarding food) is without a doubt...peanut butter.

My husband, who is from Italy, never could stand the stuff. Whenever his parents came to visit, I had to hide it...my mother-in-law would always throw it out if she found it.

By the way...I personally prefer JIF, but Skippy works it in a pinch.

Sheryl

#47232 - 05/19/04 08:12 AM Re: food
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
OK Chica, give us the names and locations of your Asian groceries.

#47233 - 05/19/04 10:00 AM Re: food
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
When I was in the States I liked almost all the food but sorry... I couldn't stand peanut butter! Puajhhh! rolleyes

What do you guys find in that horrible thing?!

As for english food I was in London a week and couldn't manage to taste it... almost every restaurant is foreign!

But anyway, every culture has its own superb recipes which must be tasted no matter how horrible/incredible people says the cuisine is.

Booklady: Churros are very typical, but are out of everyday spanish breakfasts smile It has been almost a year since I last tasted them! (I should put an end to that...). They are unhealthy if eaten everyday because they are full of oil (therefore, you will gain weight if you eat them everyday).

As for the horrible peanut butter you may find the thing in almost every supermarket in Madrid. It is not widespread (understandable...) but you may find it easily in big cities (why the hell you want to find it God!!!! :p ).

Fernando

#47234 - 05/19/04 10:28 AM Re: food
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Fernando--

Like everything else, peanut butter is a matter of culture (and of course, taste). Most of us were raised on it for lunch and/or snacks.

You're dislike for it is not unexpected, ...but by the same token, I could never get the taste nor appreciation for "oreja de cerdo or morcilla."

Frankly, eating a pig's ear is about as unappealing, from my point of view, as one could get. And add to that...when they serve it, I felt like I was before a jigsaw puzzle attempting to put all the pieces back together again.

And "morcilla" is... well, I'll leave that to your imagination.

Sheryl

#47235 - 05/19/04 12:46 PM Re: food
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
The thing is... I hate both morcilla and oreja! They are even more disgusting than peanut butter! laugh

I saw the usage of peanut butter when I was in the States. It was usually put on sandwiches along with a variety of other contents... terrible laugh

Why didn't you choose a civilized manner of eating sandwiches? For example with real milk butter hehehe.

As you said, it is partially a matter of culture, and partially a matter of personal preferences.

Fernando

#47236 - 05/19/04 03:47 PM Re: food
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Peanut butter mixed with proper butter and Marmite on crusty bread - heaven laugh

#47237 - 05/19/04 04:02 PM Re: food
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Actually, Fernando...

The concept of peanut butter is really no different than nocilla. What it that? Cream of hazelnuts mixed with chocolate?

I love both nocilla (or Nutella) and Peanut butter. The only thing that I put on my peanut butter sandwiches are either grape jelly (Welch´s if at all possible) OR bananas, but never both at the same time. Peanut butter is also great smeared on apple slices!! And on marshmallows. Yes, I am very golosa!! wink

Chris R, for starters, there is a great Chinese food store underneath the Plaza de España. Take the pedestrian entrance to the underground parking and you will find a number of shops... one of them being the Chinese food store. I was so excited to find bok choy and chinese sausage there, not to mention patis (Filipino fish sauce).

I have also discovered 3 additional Chinese grocery stores in the Tetuán district. I think the street name is Calle General Margallo... or something like that. The metro stop is Tetuán. I will try to find the exact address and post it here for you.

Is there a specific kind of Asian food that you are looking for? The ones on General Margallo carry a fairly ample selection of vietnamese as Filipino food products along with the Chinese products (including Chinese beer).

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments