Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#47192 - 03/03/04 09:46 AM Re: what cant be bought?
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
When you ask about what can't you buy here in Spain (Madrid), are you asking for the short or long haul? For the short haul you can deal with what is missing. If you are going to be living here, you can't bring enough of what you'll miss any way so it's no use worrying about it. No Crisy Kreme, settle for churros and Dunkin Donuts or a couple local brands! Who cares about Bud, it's in many markets, but if you prefer the weaker flavored beers, there are certainly Spanish alternatives for less. Flour tortillas here leave a lot to be desired and I haven't found a good source yet for good corn ones, so fresh Mexican tortillas are terrific if you are going to visit someone who likes them. Haven't tried the local bagels yet (I think the place is near Alonso Martinez Metro), but just got a nice delivery of two dozen from a Chicago visitor last week (and burrito sized tortillas).

#47193 - 03/03/04 10:11 AM Re: what cant be bought?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Hey Becky -
I wish I knew how soon I could get back - can't be soon enough but things seem to be conspiring against it for at least a few more months. mad mad mad in lieu of a crying face -
However - first trip back I promise a couple of dozen bagels for you!

#47194 - 03/04/04 07:08 AM Re: what cant be bought?
caysalbanks Offline

Loc: phoenix arizona usa
thank you all again;
its for the long haul.

#47195 - 03/04/04 07:59 AM Re: what cant be bought?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
caysalbanks,
Just out of curiousity, how long are you planning to be in Madrid and is it for work or are you moving to our favorite country as a retiree?
If you have addressed this is a previous post elsewhere - I apologize in advance!!!!
You do, of course, realize you are the envy of many many people on this board!!!!!

#47196 - 03/04/04 09:40 AM Re: what cant be bought?
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
I find it hard to find mexican green chillies and indian spices such as turmeric, coriander, etc. The flour tortillas seem ok to me but then I'm English and we probably don't have the same selection as you would have in the US.

Re beers, Mahou is just as good as Bud, but good draught lagers are harder to find. The best I've found would be the Irish pubs but I really miss draft Kronenburg by the pint. Anyone seen this is Madrid ?

#47197 - 03/04/04 11:53 AM Re: what cant be bought?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
jamongris...

Have you tried going to Birra next to the stadium... Santiago Bernabeu? I think they have hundreds of beers on tap there.

I can´t remember the name of the street, but it is perpendicular to La Castellana and is on the first block on the opposite side of the street of the stadium.

#47198 - 03/05/04 05:35 AM Re: what cant be bought?
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
Thanks chica, no I haven't tried that one but will endeavour to do so in the near future.

#47199 - 04/15/04 02:59 PM Re: what cant be bought?
AJ_dup1 Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
Slightly off topic-- how about milk chocolate ala Dove bar or Hershey?

I know that's a weird question, but everytime I go overseas the chocolate tastes wayyyyyy different and I just can't get a good fix, lol. Its the only thing I would like to pack if its hard to find?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments