Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#4689 - 09/30/02 12:44 PM Madrid:nice, safe hostal for solo female traveller
krista Offline

Loc: wichita, ks
I plan to spend several days in Madrid in October and am absolutely overwhelmed by the number of hostales! confused

Any recommendations on decent neighborhood? Is area around the Prado all right? I can imagine with high tourist volume that street crime might be a bigger risk. Mulling over Hostal Lopez , Hostal Dulcinea , and Hostal Jaen --also Frommers recommends the Hostal Residencia Principado C/Zorilla.

I also speak very minimal Spanish, (though am fairly fluent in French) so not sure where might be best for a yank like me wink

Anyway, safety is of primary concern--amenities not so much. Any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks!

Krista

#4690 - 09/30/02 06:17 PM Re: Madrid:nice, safe hostal for solo female traveller
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Hi Krista,

I stayed at the Hotel Mora in August and felt very safe in the hotel and in that area (this is just a 5 minute walk from the Prado Museum and the Atocha station). The room there was 49 euros a night, iva included. There is a nice cafeteria next to the lobby.

I can't vouch for the hostales; you should probably conduct separate searches on each of them. I know the Dulcinea has been recommended. I was going to stay there but they didn't have the nights I wanted and the price difference was not so great between that and the hotel.

You should defintely check out a recent thread in the "Safety" section of the board, which covered some solo traveler & safety issues in Madrid.

http://www.madridman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000123

(sorry I don't know if I linked it correctly!)

I was just in Madrid last August traveling solo for the most part. Using some common sense and basic precautions, I never felt unsafe.

Enjoy your trip!

Churrito

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#4691 - 09/30/02 07:12 PM Re: Madrid:nice, safe hostal for solo female traveller
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but I would also recommend the Hotel Plaza Mayor --just steps off the Plaza Mayor at the top of C. Atocha. It was about $50/night. The staff spoke English. I felt VERY safe there--the area around the hotel is exceedingly well-lit and well-traveled.

Let me add that I was recently in Madrid (June/July 2003), a woman traveling alone, and felt very safe. Enjoy! smile

#4692 - 09/30/02 11:28 PM Re: Madrid:nice, safe hostal for solo female traveller
el viajero Offline

I think I mentioned this before: in February I stayed at the Hostal Cruz Sol, just off the Plaza Mayor, for a week, and I loved it. The desk staff spoke fluent English, and at the time it only cost 33 euros per night for a room with its own bathroom. Including about 20 phone calls to the U.S., my entire bill came to 298 euros.

#4693 - 09/30/02 11:28 PM Re: Madrid:nice, safe hostal for solo female traveller
el viajero Offline

I think I mentioned this before: in February I stayed at the Hostal Cruz Sol, just off the Plaza Mayor, for a week, and I loved it. The desk staff spoke fluent English, and at the time it only cost 33 euros per night for a room with its own bathroom. Including about 20 phone calls to the U.S., my entire bill came to 298 euros.

#4694 - 10/03/02 08:26 PM Re: Madrid:nice, safe hostal for solo female traveller
krista Offline

Loc: wichita, ks
Thanks very much for your advice!

As it turns out, I will be able to stay with family member of my friend, so I will not need to reserve a room. I am sure the good advice will come in very handy on subsequent trips to Spain. I haven't been there yet, and already I am mentally planning more trips.

Thanks again!

Krista

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments