Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#46776 - 08/03/02 12:36 AM Shopping in Salamanca!!!
Kipper Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
What are the special items of the area to look for while in Salamanca? Good gifts, etc. Thanks. I know it has been elected as the cultural spot of Europe if I'm not mistaken for 2002. Can't wait to go.
Karen! rolleyes laugh

#46777 - 08/08/02 10:00 PM Re: Shopping in Salamanca!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Anyone know what regional specialties or items for purchase associated with Salamanca??? I can't think of any myself and I've visited twice. I don't know why, but I think of cheese! Hahaha.. They're probably more closely linked to Jamón/Ham than cheese, but what?! Anyone? I know that we have had members here who have studied in Salamanca. Any ideas? confused

Good luck and have a wonderful time in Spain! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#46778 - 08/09/02 12:01 AM Re: Shopping in Salamanca!!!
Kipper Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Thanks MM wink And, I love you web page. It's really great. I'll let you know all about my trip. Adios...

#46779 - 08/09/02 01:03 AM Re: Shopping in Salamanca!!!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola,
Well, they seem to love anything having to do with Frogs laugh laugh They're everywhere. Salamanca is a booklovers dream. As a bibliophile, I bought books and I was not disappointed by the quality and variety of titles. The main street, Rua Mayor, leading from one of Spain's most beautiful plaza's, the Plaza Mayor to the Cathedral. The University store has wonderful leather gifts. I bought a satchel that is both functional and beautiful for a very reasonable price.
They have a wonderful shop called Universitates Salamantine Mercatus this is the official gift shop of the University of salamanca, and it has prints, books, leather goods, pens, lovely stationary, etc.

The other shops have lovely posters, ceramics, etc.

Enjoy Salamanca, it is a wonderful city!

#46780 - 08/09/02 03:09 AM Re: Shopping in Salamanca!!!
v diaz Offline

Loc: madrid
Yes, frogs are sold everywhere, alone or standing over an skull.

If you are student you'll need one....

The story is that if you are able to find the frog over the skull in the front face of the university entrance, you'll have luck with your exams. Try it, it's not easy, the frog is really tiny and the façade is overdecorated (plateresque style).

This seems to work for my girlfriend who weared an small silver frog in a chain while she was studying.

#46781 - 08/09/02 01:55 PM Re: Shopping in Salamanca!!!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Diaz, I hope it is true that we get good luck, I looked up at the entrance and found it at first look! laugh laugh laugh It is kind of tiny. rolleyes
Of course Calibasco, Eddie and some other here had alerted me about this lucky frog!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 808 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments