Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#46738 - 05/26/02 10:29 PM Basqueland: House hunting?
Navarra Offline

Loc: Norman, OK
I'm soon moving to Navarra. I plan to buy a house somewhere north and east of Pamplona and plan to become a permanent resident. Anybody out there have any experience with that area? Anybody know of any American organizations with that interest? Ayuda me, por favor

#46739 - 05/27/02 05:17 AM Re: Basqueland: House hunting?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Navarra writes:
Quote:
I plan to buy a house somewhere north and east of Pamplona and plan to become a permanent resident.
That's easier said than done, especially if you are not a Spanish (or EU) citizen. eek But first, understand that Navarra is not one of the Basque Provinces. Yes, it's where the Basques (AKA 'Saracens') defeated the French Army under the command of Charlemagne's son, Roland after troops of that Army had committed many atrocities during their 'rape' of Pamplona. Their defeat is documented in Chanson de Roland.

You'll find that it's as different as night & day from Norman, Oklahoma where I spent several years of my young life earning various degrees and enjoying Oklahoma football. To the best of my knowledge, you won't encounter any tornados in the area you are looking at (although I have seen some violent summer thunderstorms). rolleyes

#46740 - 05/28/02 02:38 PM Re: Basqueland: House hunting?
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

navarra

eddies right in saying theirs no tornados in navarra.but i would add that all of spain is the same in this respect.theres also no tornadoes earthquakes or any similiar bull****.hey i swear i always thought navarre was part of pais vasco because of there similiar look with the "real basques" which is very different than the spaniard.hey maybe i wrong rolleyes wink

#46741 - 05/28/02 02:58 PM Re: Basqueland: House hunting?
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Doing a simple search on yahoo gets this page:

http://www.spanish-living.com/files/Navarra/real_estate/real_estate.html

I would contact the agencies directly and start-a-lookin! From what I've seen, mortgages et al are fairly similar as in the States, where you are from yes?

#46742 - 06/03/02 04:34 AM Re: Basqueland: House hunting?
hombre_gizon Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi!.

In the north of Navarra you'll find a very beautiful valley called "Valle del Baztan". This valley is made of some small villages. The main village is called Elizondo and there are 3000 citiziens more or less in this village. There are more villages in this beautiful land: Irurita, Arraioz, Errazu, Arizkun, Oronoz...
There are beautiful views from the mountains rounding the valley and everything is green and peaceful.

All those villages are not too far from Pamplona (Iruña) or from San Sebastián (Donostia). Elizondo is more or less 60 km far from Pamplona and 70 from San Sebastián.

#46743 - 06/03/02 04:49 PM Re: Basqueland: House hunting?
Espe3 Offline

Fthemikeman,
what are you talking about? The look of the "real vascos"? And what navarrans look like and exactly what do you think a "real" spaniard looks like?
Just curious, I'm totally confused about what you're referring to!

To buy an apt. in Spain, well, as a foreigner, you'll have to do a lot of paperwork, but its not impossible. one of the things they'll ask you for, if you're still working is to see your last couple pay stubs.. and if you're not and are retired or wealthy and don't have to work, you'll have to prove you have the means to pay it, or keep up with the mortgage if you need one of those.

Check out the website expat.com, they'll have some information on buying a place over there ! smile

#46744 - 06/04/02 06:18 PM Re: Basqueland: House hunting?
Felix Offline

Loc: madrid
Hey fmiketheman, i am also curiouse about your reference to similarities of navarros and vascos and their big difference with the rest of the spaniards; where have you hear that? cause there is no difference at all.

#46745 - 06/14/02 08:17 PM Re: Basqueland: House hunting?
madridmanjim Offline

Loc: Northern Spain
All I can say is, bring lots of money. Pamplona and the nearby area is fairly expensive. Decent places will go for 300000 - 600000 pesetas per sq meter in the city. Nearby cities same or higher.

Doesn´t the Diario de Navarra have classifieds on line? Check www.diariodenavarra.es

In any case, you shouldn´t have a problem finding a place for the short term - room/apartment.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments