Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#46728 - 05/07/02 12:55 PM TakeSeeds:Spain ->USA?
Rafael Offline

Loc: Riverside, California, USA
Cam I buy flowers and roses seeds in Spain and bring them to California?
I could have trouble at LA airport, they could think that those seeds could contaminate and bring deseases to California plants?
if it is ok, where can I find seeds in Madrid?

thanks

Rafael

#46729 - 05/07/02 01:52 PM Re: TakeSeeds:Spain ->USA?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Rafael, When returning to the US the form you fill out for reentry asks specifically about seeds, plants, etc. Not worth the risk - especially since last Sept. Try ordering the specific flower/plant seeds on-line - these are pre-packaged and pre-cleared for customs

#46730 - 05/07/02 10:55 PM Re: TakeSeeds:Spain ->USA?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Rafael, Puna is right - don't try it - it's not legal. You really can get almost anything online. Also, quite a bit of the seed and plant stock in Spanish viveros and jardinerias come from other countries, so it's not all authentic Spanish.

I have several books on gardening in Spain (that's where I enthusiastically developed a green thumb!), and you may want to buy one while there. It could help you decide what you want and what it's officially called, so you could do a search for places here in the States to buy it from. One is called "Gardening in Spain" by Marcelle Pitt, published in Fuengirola (Malaga) by Mirador Books. It's in English. There are many available in Spanish.

If you do decide to visit a vivero - maybe to get ideas! - they tend to be located outside of cities, where people have yards. There are several big ones in the suburbs outside of Madrid.

#46731 - 05/07/02 11:02 PM Re: TakeSeeds:Spain ->USA?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Please do NOT bring forbidden plants or animals back to the States or to Spain. eek The USDA can share 100s of horror stories caused by one tourist who thought it didnīt matter. The introduction of nonnative species has lead to the extinction of numerous important species of plants and animals both here and abroad. Take pictures or better yet, go to Spain and enjoy them in their native habitat!!!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments