Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#46677 - 04/06/02 03:29 PM USA: Spanish Cheese Alert!!
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hi All-

I just went to the brand new Trader Joe's http://www.traderjoes.com grocery store near me, and found IBERICO cheese and MANCHEGO cheese!! If anyone has a Trader Joe's near them, it's worth it to check it out! (I couldn't find any jamon serrano, but I'll look further next time!)

Suerte en su busqueda!!

-GranadaGirl

#46678 - 04/06/02 05:13 PM Re: USA: Spanish Cheese Alert!!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Just to add to GG´s post --

For those of you in the Philadelphia area... I have found that the Acme Markets carry Manchego cheese in its gourmet/imported cheese section. For those diehards that really want to make the trip DiBruno´s House of Cheese in the Italian Market in South Philadelphia carries Manchego cheese (more expensive than the Acme) Chorizo and Serrano Ham. They also do national deliveries...and do great e-commerce.

(MM they could be a potential sponsor for you).

check them out!

#46679 - 04/06/02 05:16 PM Re: USA: Spanish Cheese Alert!!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I have mentioned elsewhere (but where?) that the Whole Foods Market chain carries manchego and membrillo...as do many upscale markets here in the Twin Cities. I think manchego is getting a foothold in American stores...finally!!

#46680 - 04/08/02 10:34 AM Re: USA: Spanish Cheese Alert!!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Being an afficiando of Trader Joe's - I can vouch for GG's recommendation - both the Manchego and the Iberico are good and very reasonably priced. Know I have already posted about Trader Joe's white asperagus (in glass jars) - but if you go for either the Manchego or the Iberico - give the white asperagus a try as well.

#46681 - 04/08/02 11:04 AM Re: USA: Spanish Cheese Alert!!
jmcarr Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
While doing the grocery shopping this weekend I saw MANCHEGO in the cheese section of my local Metro supermarket. You could have knocked me over with a feather -- I've been going to Trader Joe's or the expensive wine & cheese shop. For those who don't have a local Metro, think Superfresh, Acme, Kohl's, WinnDixie or Publix. Not a very "super"market at all. As a matter of fact, the selection of regular lunch meats and food in general is not that broad, so the appearance of manchego is amazing!

jmc

#46682 - 04/09/02 01:15 PM Re: USA: Spanish Cheese Alert!!
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
So, maybe i'm just a novice on cheese, but I have a question.

What is the cheese that you get in most places on a sandwich in Spain?
When I order a sandwich mixto plato in Spain, the cheese is the best part.

Is this manchego? Is it something else? Where can I get it?

#46683 - 04/10/02 08:45 AM Re: USA: Spanish Cheese Alert!!
Miguelito Offline

Hi Granadagirl, I guess you meant Iberico ham instead of cheese as I never heard before about any iberico cheese.
About the sandwich cheese it's often sold in square bars in supermarkets as cheese for sandwiches and there are different brands, normally multinationals like Kraft, Parmalat...

#46684 - 04/10/02 03:00 PM Re: USA: Spanish Cheese Alert!!
kitt Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Yes, there is definitely a cheese named "Iberico", you can buy it in wheels just like the Manchego, and it is very good, perhaps not as sharp as some of the Manchegos can be, We brought along a 12# wheel home with us and wish we'd brought more. For many many more Spanish cheeses, I can recommend "igourmet" company online---an extensive selection, and all the orders I placed with them were delivered promptly, and the cheese was wonderful.
Kitt

#46685 - 04/11/02 06:32 PM Re: USA: Spanish Cheese Alert!!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I'm off to Trader Joe's...They'd better have plenty!!!

Also, don't be fooled by taravb's post. There are no upscale supermarkets in the Twin Cities... laugh :p laugh :p laugh :p

Actually, I'll bet Byerly's or even a Kowalski's would have something...but not Cub or Rainbow!

#46686 - 04/11/02 09:10 PM Re: USA: Spanish Cheese Alert!!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Cali, Kowalski's just bought a whole slew of SuperValu stores--they converted the one near our house last week. The cheeses (and everything else) are fabulous!!!!!!

So don't pick on my grocery stores!! wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments