Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#46652 - 03/20/02 06:30 AM buying books online in spain?
Roe Offline

Loc: california
Does anyone know of any places online that you can buy books in Spain? I found El Corte Inglés to have a good selection of spanish books, but I was hoping to get a few in English. Does anyone know of any online stores that ship to Spain?

#46653 - 03/20/02 06:48 AM Re: buying books online in spain?
Roe Offline

Loc: california
Nevermind, I just went to Amazon and it looks like they ship to Europe. Has anyone had any bad expiriences with this?

#46654 - 03/20/02 07:11 AM Re: buying books online in spain?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Roe. My sister ordered a book through Amazon and had shipped it to me. It took a couple of weeks although I am not sure if this was due to the shipping or the availability of the book. I do know that it cost her a fortune to have the book shipped (I think it was about $20).

If you are looking for books in English, try VIPS . I was in VIPS the other day and noticed that they had a whole bookshelf full of books in English. It would probably be much cheaper, although the selection would not be as great!

#46655 - 03/20/02 11:21 AM Re: buying books online in spain?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Roe, if you're going to try Amazon , try their UK site . You may save money if your book is sent from there instead of from the US. I've ordered from both sites and have been very pleased. It doesn't matter where you are when you order. I've also heard from English-speaking friends in Madrid that they order quite often from Amazon in the UK .

#46656 - 03/20/02 02:25 PM Re: buying books online in spain?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
What about Amazon France ? If they happen to have the books you are looking for, they may be cheaper as you are paying in the same currency (¡viva el Euro! smile )

EasyValue claims to be
Quote:
the only truly impartial price comparison website
. Check out and see if it's true what they say.

#46657 - 06/05/02 04:54 PM Re: buying books online in spain?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hi Roe,
You have gotten excellent advice from our MM friends with www.Amazon.com , particularly www.Amazon.co.uk , since they have by far the best selection.You may also want to look at Barnes & Noble.com , and www.Borders.com . My favorite is a remainder house called Daedalus . Be prepared to pay shipping.

You may want to try Blackwells Bookshop in the U.K. shipping might not be as expensive as from the U.S.
Also, if you are looking for Out-Of-Print books, the best place is AbeBooks , another good one is Bookfinder Website However, if you go on the net, you can buy directly from most publishers, if you know of a specific title, like Penguin they can sell it to you outright. I buy a lot of English books and audio-books from Britain using Amazon and have been very satisfied with their service.

Good Luck
Booklady

#46658 - 06/05/02 08:48 PM Re: buying books online in spain?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hey Roe-

La casa del libro, http://www.casadellibro.com , has an on-line bookstore. That's my FAVORITE place to shop, after El Corte Ingles of course, when I'm in Madrid. I'm not sure if they have English books, which I guess is really what you're looking for, but it's a great store nonetheless!!

Buen compras!!

-GG

#46659 - 06/06/02 07:58 AM Re: buying books online in spain?
desmo Offline

Loc: El Escorial, Madrid
You might check out www.Proxis.com in Belgium, they have a good stock and the site is in English . I used it when I was in Bussels and they ship to EU countrys for one price. Or they did at the time anyway. I had stuff sent to Uk and Spain. The order tracking was quite good too.

Prices were at the time comparable with the others but the shipping made a difference.

#46660 - 06/06/02 04:45 PM Re: buying books online in spain?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Roe --

Don´t know if you have resolved your online book buying...but don´t know how none of us thought of it before... FNAC in Spain has an online store and has books in English!

Good luck!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments