Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#46582 - 02/06/02 02:33 AM Re: USA:Good deals on Spanish products?
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Hi there,

Here are my two cents(of euro¿?);

MMan, from my experience, (meaning I worked for UPS for more than four years), it's not so much that post offices here aren't as accesible; we have no problems sending whatever goods to, say Italy or Denmark (as long as for instance if we're sending a pastry we are willing to take the risk that only crumbs will turn out). And the cost is surely more expensive than in the US, but obviously, a lot less expensive than using UPS, Fedex, etc....to send something other than a document from Spain to the States.
A key thing is that, like it or not, any shipment going outside the EU is an export after all, and considered an import in the eyes of the US Gov. And the US customs is very "demanding and picky", with the FDA and other health authorities making it practically impossible for a private person to send perishable goods, pork products(ham or chorizo), fragile items(wine bottles), and forget about things like chocolates which can melt, sparkling wines like 'cava', that can explote, they also have a big problem with vitamins since they're considered medicinal, etc,....
You can ship most of the above mentioned through the post, but it's forbidden to do so through UPS(and the like), since it's really risky and problematic. (Besides customs, imagine if someone sent some chorizos not vacuum-packed and their grease not only affected the box containing them, but others that travelled under it, or beside it, it'd be a disaster!). Only during the X-mas season these norms relax a little.

But if somebody is up to starting a trading company, I'd like to be part of that. wink I can't way to be an 'empresaria'!

#46583 - 02/07/02 11:01 AM Re: USA:Good deals on Spanish products?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
For those who love white asparagus and can't wait until Wolf has solved the problems of a buying club which sounds great but very problematic - Trader Joe's carries glass jars of quality white aspargus - it's about $2.80 or so. Also, depending on Trader Joe locations - they have some decent Manchego -

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: Puna ]

#46584 - 02/07/02 11:21 AM Re: USA:Good deals on Spanish products?
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Hello everyone who is making me hungry at 11:30 AM! laugh

It just so happens one of my friends here runs the US branch of his family's US-Spain shipping company. He's a customs broker and handles this kind of business all the time. I think they ship most of their clients' goods on container ships. Anyway, I can pick his brain about this and report back. It seems like a really interesting venture, but not so easy to get off the ground without start-up cash and the appropriate staff. I agree with MM -- could be done by way of ecommerce at a virtual "store."

Churrito (who wishes fresh cafe con leche and churros could be imported!)

PS Of course the "Baron of Green Olives" could become a pirate and smuggle goods by way of the high seas!!! Argh, matie!!! laugh

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#46585 - 02/07/02 11:09 PM Re: USA:Good deals on Spanish products?
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
Madridman unrust those gears!
I've got it!
Why not focus on La liga. I know that thousands and thousands of children just in California who would love to purchase joma's and kelme's but there is ONLY one main general soccer distributor in the US. I have tried to find Spanish soccer sale sites and there supply is VERY limited (team uniforms and such) As soccer is one of the fastest growing sports in the states, you really can't go wrong. Low supply, big demand, and very little competition. This is something I would sincerely invest my money and heart in!
Wolf, what do you think?
And of course we could include some food and wine in those Spanish shipments smile

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#46586 - 02/07/02 11:54 PM Re: USA:Good deals on Spanish products?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Toddy,

I'm not certain the soccer stuff would sell. If you look into the dollar volumes of sales related the the U.S. pro soccer teams, it's dismal. Licensing agreements have dropped to just about nothing because of it.

Since they aren't even selling their product in their own home towns (like the Chicago Fire), it's hard to believe people would bite on bigger ticket items that carry a higher price, from Spain.

The things that I see as being most cost effective are things that weigh very little, and can be consolidated into smaller shipping containers. As an example, spices, not in a branded can, but in bags, ready to be placed in proportioned containers here. If people can get along without the "Spanish label" can, they could get spices shipped in plastic pouches, and put it in their own can, or in their shakers as they see fit.

Weight and size. If the shipment has a lot of light items, you can add heavier items because the light items become very cost effective.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

Wolf

#46587 - 02/08/02 05:38 PM Re: USA:Good deals on Spanish products?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Wolf:

Never underestimate the power of the "peso"...there are thousands of latino kids playing soccer, watching Telemundo, and noticing the Kelme-type shoes, and wanting them. They don't grow up to play for the Chicago Fire, but they do play...and play a lot. I worked for a manufacturing firm here that fielded THREE teams in local leagues...they played with something laced on their pies.

Tara: I hate olives too...estoy contigo.

There's a local soccer shop here in Upland, CA that has all that euro stuff. They do a brisk business.

And MM: You can go ahead and put up the venture capital, I'll take the stock options... laugh

#46588 - 02/09/02 05:22 AM Re: USA:Good deals on Spanish products?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Cali,

I know there are some shops that make a go of selling soccer stuff, but by and large, the majority of the U.S. doesn't see it as a major product. I always remember an old thing that they would say for the traveling burlesque shows. "If it doesn't play well in Peoria, it won't play well anywhere."

California is probably the one area that I would consider it a potentially good market. But in most areas of the US there isn't the total Latino population, or the intense interest in soccer. It's considered a secondary sport. In fact nobody watches high school games in our area other than parents, yet each high school football game is jammed with people.

Unless the game is big in your area, it really doesn't draw much interest, and therefore, very few sales of jerseys, etc.

Anyway, that's what I see from out here in the Midwest -- tucked away from civilization -- smile

Wolf

#46589 - 02/09/02 01:59 PM Re: USA:Good deals on Spanish products?
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
Remember, that Spanish olives are alreay imported in mass. I can even buy them at my local $.99 store. There is not ONE online Joma store and the Kelme is very weak. All major US cities have a rapidly growing latino pop/market that is buying and will continue to buy Spanish goods. Look outside your window towards your local park every Saturday and Sunday morning. You probably will see many many kids playing soccer. Importing/promoting Spanish soccer products is an easy sell. I'm sure if you wrote Joma right now and let them know of your interest in distributing their products or creating a website, they would be quite happy. As far as the website goes, I have no technical background. However, I could promote through sponsored tournaments and special events.

#46590 - 02/11/02 07:12 PM Re: USA:Good deals on Spanish products?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
About that soccer interest conversation...

I used to interpret for the Hispanic Soccer League of Philadelphia. I didn´t interpret for the latinos that played in the 25-some team league, but rather, interpreted the weekly Spanish language meetings for the Jamaicans, Greeks and Poles who all had teams playing in the Hispanic League (go figure).

The Hispanic Soccer League of Philadelphia was very interesting..during the spring and summer months it took over one of the overgrown fields in N. Philadelphia and during the winter months ran an indoor soccer league that played in a gym at 10th and Bainbridge.

Soccer is a huge sport in the USA. While its popularity may not be measured by the professional teams, just take a look at all the neighborhood teams and school leagues that have sprung up over the past 5 or so years.... laugh

#46591 - 02/12/02 10:57 AM Re: USA:Good deals on Spanish products?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Chica, I totally agree with you, based very much on the fact that AYSO (American Youth Soccer League)has been extemely popular and has sustained a huge growth rate for the last almost 20 years. Boys and girls - starting at about age 5 - participate for years. The kids that were in the early days of AYSO are now parents for the young soccer players. The nicest part about AYSO was that all the kids signed up played - not just the most athletically gifted few.

And the US soccer team win in the summer Olympics certainly helped spike the game
rolleyes rolleyes

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments