Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#46558 - 01/24/02 08:43 AM Re: Today I learnt some Spanish ??
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I'm still laughing desmo... laugh

Yet, never mind to speak some words in spanish. If all who were to speak a new language (as myslef with english) would care the times some "nice" guy has make me feel like an idiot noonw would speak forgein languages wink

Asterault, that "chiste" is very funny wink

Desmo, one last advice: Many products in the supermarket have also the information (ingredients, contents, etc) in english, check 'em out!

Fernando

#46559 - 01/24/02 10:23 AM Re: Today I learnt some Spanish ??
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
El Boqueron,

Hey! Desmo and I can relate to that story. I'm scared to death to order most anything in a bar, afraid that I may have opted for water straight from the sink where they're washing dishes. I've become quite adept at pointing at pictures, or something someone else is drinking, and saying, "Por favor?"

Even that could get scary, if the barkeep walks over and picks up the person's drink, and sets it in front of you - eek !

I did learn another thing that is different from here in the States. We fondle the veggies, like tomatoes, by picking them up and inspecting them to insure we get the "best available." If you do that in Spain, you just bought the tomato. I nearly had to hire a truck to haul all the fresh veggies back to the house the first time I was in a grocery store. We had salads the size of France for several days. eek

Wolf (Who is put in a straight-jacket by his wife now, when he goes into a Spanish grocery store - rolleyes )

#46560 - 01/24/02 10:59 AM Re: Today I learnt some Spanish ??
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes Brilliant repartee guys! laugh laugh laugh
Puna (who can identify with far too much of this thread) rolleyes

#46561 - 01/24/02 12:17 PM Re: Today I learnt some Spanish ??
desmo Offline

Loc: El Escorial, Madrid
El Boqueron, Wolf ,and now Puma.

Looks like I got a freindly bunch here.

That thing about the vermouth had me in chuckles, LMAO . Yep it must of happened to me several times, you see all the nice things in the bakeries, they positively lure you an the ole craving kicks in. You gaze lovingly at the sights, you want to taste to touch to smell. You can imagine the smooth taste as it caresses you taste buds, the textures, the fragrances, absorbing the sweet nectars of the local gastronomic culture.

Your turn comes at the counter, greetings are exchanged, the excitement builds within you, this time you will do it!!!

The words are echoing in your mind, whirling and dancing, tantalising you, teasing you they form, you open your mouth to speak.........

"por favor, un empanado atun"
" es todo ?"
Faces stare, the world is closing in on you. You must escape......

"No Gracias", fumble with money, dont check the change, swift exit.

feed emapanado to dog

Next time...................

#46562 - 01/25/02 01:53 AM Re: Today I learnt some Spanish ??
seul6 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
Desmo, I'm in stiches !

#46563 - 01/25/02 08:05 AM Re: Today I learnt some Spanish ??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
desmo, you are TOO much!
Similar story: I was at the local latino market here in Columbus, always excited to go and use my spanish when checking out. So there I was, waiting in line, and a gentleman came up behind me and asked to the group, "¿Quien es la última?" I, proudly understanding his question and ready for the reply I answered simply, "Yo." The smiled, slightly chuckled, then turned and mumbled something to the person at his side.

So there I was, leaving, all proud of myself for understanding all the questions. I oh-so-proudly told my madrileña ladyfriend of the situation, telling her how exhilarating it was to "understand" finally, telling her of the short exchange in dialogue and she started LAUGHING and LAUGHING! I asked WHY she was laughing so much and she said that when I replied "Yo" to his "¿Quien es la última?" question that I was admitting to being a WOMAN! "WHAT?!", I asked!! She said his question, being feminine in "la última", I was saying that *I* was "the last woman" in line. THEN, she stopped laughing, and said, maybe trying to spare my now-crumbling confidence, "Well, maybe he was asking, 'Who is the last PERSON', as in "¿Quien es la última PERSONA?" I felt only somewhat relieved, not knowing the man's true intentions with the question.

Apparently, the correct response in this situation would have been, "Soy el último" as in "I'm the last man" in line.

Ahhh.. fun with language. rolleyes Saludos, MadridMan

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#46564 - 01/25/02 10:36 AM Re: Today I learnt some Spanish ??
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Alternative ending to the Tale of Desmo and the Empanada...

"Es todo?"
"er..si! Quanto es?"
"(incomprehensible) duros"

Our hero is now sweating freely as waiting locals look on. What's a "duro"?! Takes out 10,000 peseta note to be on the safe side, and hands it over.

The shopkeeper stares at the note...
"?No tiene nada mas pequenyo?"
Complete panic sets in...Only one thing for it...
"No habla espanyol".

Murmurs of general indignation as the shopkeeper tries to find 9,950 ptas in change. Our hero flees adding the change to the 3 kilos of coins already jangling in his pockets...

wink wink

#46565 - 01/25/02 10:37 AM Re: Today I learnt some Spanish ??
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I had a great time with my husband at an olive stand in Avila, bustling among the ladies asking "who's last?" He was baffled...there seemed to be no rhyme or reason, and it took him a LONG time to figure out that all you needed to do was know who was the last person before you...once you know that, you just watch them and wait for them to be served. Once they are, you're next!

And the person who's after YOU will be sure to nudge you right up to the front because SHE (or, in your case, he) won't want to lose her place either! I like this SO much better than waiting in line at the bakery or wherever in America, where NOBODY talks and you are never quite sure who's supposed to be served next!

And MM, it's good to know you're in touch with your feminine side.

laugh

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: taravb ]

#46566 - 01/26/02 10:16 AM Re: Today I learnt some Spanish ??
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
El Boqueron you just detailed the easiest way in the world to spot a visitor!!! And, it had nothing to do with ragged jeans and sweatshirts (sort 'a) wink

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: Puna ]

#46567 - 01/26/02 02:24 PM Re: Today I learnt some Spanish ??
desmo Offline

Loc: El Escorial, Madrid
Hi folks, sorry got to rush off to UK tomorrow as dad not so well.

Been a good laugh, lets do it again soon

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments