Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#46535 - 01/19/02 09:01 AM Madrid: Necklace shopping recommendation wanted
jaimemiguel Offline

Loc: columbus, ohio USA
Hi all,
I am leaving for a week in Madrid in a couple days and both of my daughters(aged 13 and 16) have requested 'typical' or 'traditional' silver spanish necklaces. They are both interested in Spain and are taking spanish at school and both are fashion conscious (can't look like a dork!).

Does anybody have a suggestion of places to look in Madrid?

Thanks!
p.d.
I apologize for cross-posting this on two message boards. I am very short on time and could not decide which community had the highest probability of success.
p.p.d.
I will be checking this board from Madrid, so it is ok to respond next week - the week of Jan. 22.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: jaimemiguel ]

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#46536 - 01/19/02 11:12 AM Re: Madrid: Necklace shopping recommendation wanted
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I am not familiar with the "typical" or "traditional" silver necklaces that your daughters are interested in. However, some of the most beautiful pieces of jewelry that I have seen here (and used to decorate other things as well) is the gold which is inlaid in black slate....it is typical to Toledo. I know it has a special name, just can´t think of it (and my husband, who doesn´t wear jewelry is no help! wink )

As far as where to buy it (without going to Toledo), most of the tourist trap shops around the Plaza Mayor in Madrid carry it, as does the Corte Inglés (major Spanish dept. store www.elcorteingles.es ). The Corte Inglés has an entire section on Turismo which features all things Spanish, including "typical" handicrafts and jewelry. If you enjoyed your vacation so much that you didn´t have a chance to go shopping for gifts, the Corte Inglés is the best place to go at the last minute!

Good luck!

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#46537 - 01/19/02 11:22 AM Re: Madrid: Necklace shopping recommendation wanted
jaimemiguel Offline

Chica,
thanks!
I think you are referring to damascene(spell?). I realy like that. I got a couple pieces for them last year - and they gave them to their spanish teachers!

Thanks for the tips!

#46538 - 01/20/02 04:25 AM Re: Madrid: Necklace shopping recommendation wanted
nevado Offline

I don't know what it is called but Salamanca has silver work that is beautiful and unique. There are tons of shops there but I haven't run across much in Madrid. Many of the designs have sort of a beaded flower-like appearance. (great explanation, I know). smile I'm sure someone else knows what I'm talking about and can clarify and/or give a Madrid source.
By the way, here's a silver cleaning tip for everyone...drop your pieces into boiling water with a piece of aluminum foil and watch the nasty tarnish disappear.

#46539 - 01/20/02 06:01 AM Re: Madrid: Necklace shopping recommendation wanted
jaimemiguel Offline

Thanks Nevado!
I have been wanting to visit Salamanca.
This might be the trip that I do.

#46540 - 01/20/02 01:03 PM Re: Madrid: Necklace shopping recommendation wanted
Guapetona Offline

I always pick up jewelry at tous. They combine tradition with style in their designs.
tous

#46541 - 01/20/02 03:47 PM Re: Madrid: Necklace shopping recommendation wanted
LW Offline

Loc: USA
nevado, on that cleaning tip, how much foil, and how long do you have to boil the silver for?
thanks laugh

#46542 - 01/20/02 05:43 PM Re: Madrid: Necklace shopping recommendation wanted
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Here's a link on cleaning silver using a variation on the method described above:
http://www.jhu.edu/~jhumag/0499web/tech.html

And I have been searching for a picture of the "charro" style jewelry from Salamanca--I have a "botón" on a keychain and a lovely silver pin. The wallpaper on this page depicts one of the typical "buttons:"
http://www.tel.uva.es/~msanver/ruta.html

Here's another link, with a reasonable photo:
http://kionet.virtualave.net/salam.html

And a few other photos here:
http://www.terra.es/personal6/tamames1/FILIGRANA.html

I get so many compliments on my silver "botón charro" pin--I wear it on the lapel of my winter jacket.

Tara smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 349 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments