Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#46503 - 12/14/01 06:35 AM What's your favorite thing to buy?!
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Every time I go to Madrid (or Spain in general) I always have the same list of things to buy or places to go to SHOP...

I cannot leave Spain without going to the Rastro, I have to buy at least one soundtrack from the latest Almodovar film, I have to spend tons of money in Zara, add another "pila" to my collection, and yes...I admit it, I am the biggest sucker for bullfighting posters, little plastic flamenco dancers, abanicos and swords from Toledo! Anybody else have quarky shopping habits or must-buys???

#46504 - 12/14/01 08:21 AM Re: What's your favorite thing to buy?!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Where have you been, Tracy?
I buy stuff for my granddaughters: In July I happened on a Thrift Shop (in Andalucia) and found an exquisite flamenco-style dress for one of them. It was for about a 6-year old girl, was like new and cost me ESP 2.000 (about $11.50 USD). I'm not going to tell you where it was because I am planning to go back there in February (for Carnival) and 'buy the place out!' laugh :p

#46505 - 12/14/01 09:13 AM Re: What's your favorite thing to buy?!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Great topic idea, Tracy! It is good to have you back, as Eddie says.

I'm not a shopper when I go on vacation so I often return home with less than when I went. Can you believe I went to Perú (a budget shoppers paradise) and brought back nothing but a lightweight jacket. Speaking of which, there's a new South American store open in my ladyfriend's neighborhood and I understand they have INCA COLA (which I instantly loved in Perú) so I'll be buying and bringing back a couple bottles of that this time.

Also, I do plan to buy some Madrid and/or Spain stickers. I'd like to find/buy a book of Madrid (or general Spain) photos, and have looked in the bookstores there, but have never found one. I used to buy/bring back cans of anchovy stuffed green olives, but now can find them (imported from Spain) at my local latino store - same with the turron - so I may not buy hardly anything this time either. Ooops! I almost forgot, I REALLY want to buy a new pair of black leather shoes and a brown belt. They're not too cheap, but cheaper than here in the US for good quality.

$aludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#46506 - 12/14/01 09:30 AM Re: What's your favorite thing to buy?!
celeste Offline

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
My favorite to buy are the excellent candies, pastries, cookies, etc.

There is an excellent postre-shop on San Jeronimo between the Thyssen-Bournemisa museum and Sol.

The shop wraps everything in pretty packages, paper boxes, brown wax paper... hard to find this kind of A-class treatment in the USA.

The sweets were perfect gifts. Special Spanish recipes... Something one could rarely find in the USA.

I'm hungry just thinking of it! wink

#46507 - 12/14/01 12:12 PM Re: What's your favorite thing to buy?!
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Some of the things I've brought from Spain are cans of white asparagus (always on the top of my list), a special kind of pasta for fideua, Frutas de Aragon (a kind of sweet), alubias (dry white beans), canned piquillo peppers, jamon serrano bones, cheese, guindillas (sour pickled green peppers that taste wonderful chopped up and sprinkled over a hot plate of lentil soup); a big paella pan; coffee candies from Navarra; chocolates; green-painted plates from Teruel; mazapan; more figures for my "belen;" small statues of "santos" that live in my garden; hand-made lace and embroidery; sword-shaped letter openers from Toledo; postcards; fans; soaps and colognes; posters of Spanish landscape paintings (can't afford the real thing)...

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: Diana ]

#46508 - 12/14/01 01:27 PM Re: What's your favorite thing to buy?!
Guapetona Offline

Campers, Tous jewelry, suits from Cortefiel,
fun shirts and sweats from Matador and Piel de Toro.

#46509 - 12/14/01 03:09 PM Re: What's your favorite thing to buy?!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I always buy saffron, Nocilla (yes, I know it's basically the same as Nutella, which we can buy in the US, but still, I always get it!), a big bag of magdalenas, Maria cookies, and various other cooking/eating things (rice for paella, hot chocolate, wine).

On our last trip, we brought back all of the above, and also a black wool coat for me from El Corte Ingles (it was a great cut and very different from here in the US--and the price was great), slacks for my husband from Cortefiel, and more children's clothes than we should have bought. Most of those were from Zara or from El Corte Ingles--in particular, check out the Agatha Ruiz de la Prada collection at El Corte Ingles if you know a little girl! I also bought a pair of purple suede loafers, though I am not sure why. I think I felt that I couldn't leave Spain without a pair of shoes...and they were different! I get lots of compliments when I wear them!

Tara smile

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: taravb ]

#46510 - 12/14/01 03:33 PM Re: What's your favorite thing to buy?!
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hey guys...I guess this was a great topic.

Eddie, I've been around, studying mostly. Thanks for askin'...

And MM, talking about stickers, my hubby just came back with about 5 different stickers for his car! ugg...He's got the big "E" the "EC," el toro, the Spanish flag and a few others I don't even remember...

Diana...I am totally laughing over the jamon serrano bones, because we're always sneaking a few through customs. Can't make cocido without 'em. And the anchovies stuffed olives are the BEST...

Oh yes...and i LOVE Spanish kids shoes and clothes!!!!!

Tra

#46511 - 12/14/01 04:04 PM Re: What's your favorite thing to buy?!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
What a delightful topic!
I will be looking for fans, marzipans, pens, postcards, ancient coins (I hope the coin show is open at the Plaza Mayor)and books, books, and more books. These I plan to mail home to my library before I leave.
Booklady

#46512 - 12/14/01 04:48 PM Re: What's your favorite thing to buy?!
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Don't forget the Pacharán!! I also bring home miel, vino, queso, piquillos and shoes!
I think that the children's clothes in Spain are the most amazing -I can't wait to have kids!
Oh, cerámicas, bumper stickers, and tons of CD's!
Did I mention shoes? laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments