Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#46290 - 07/07/01 06:24 PM Re: Spanish Olive Oil
JDR Offline

Loc: asturias
The Spanish government is having all of the cheapest olive oil which is made from the skin of olives (called orujo) removed from store shelves because of a concern that it might contain carcinogens.
There is absolutely no problem with the better qualities (such as Virgin or Extra Virgen).

#46291 - 07/12/01 11:18 AM Re: Spanish Olive Oil
marianne Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Hi, everyone. I just wanted to mention re this topic that I learned on a recent visit to Spain that if buying olive oil to look for a number on the bottle which indicates acidity. You want a low number, definitely a 3 or less! The number 1 indicates Extra Virgin, although some that I purchased are labeled extra virgin and show a number 3, indicating 3% acidity. However, the lower the number the better. Hope this helps! ( I love Pan con Tomate, with the drizzle of good olive oil.)

#46292 - 07/12/01 01:40 PM Re: Spanish Olive Oil
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I's not all that hard to determine the quality of olive oil. Take a sip. If it turns your throat to flame, don't buy it.
Cantabene

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments