MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#46238 - 05/22/01 02:50 PM Re: Non-EU citizens get tax refund
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Okay all - that's the same way I get back in to US - all under $300 .... but, my original question ... with the advent of the Euro - is the only way we can pick up the VAT in US $ via our charge card issuing the credit? Used to be an option to get the VAT in dollars / francs, etc .... anyone know?

#46239 - 05/22/01 05:06 PM Re: Non-EU citizens get tax refund
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Wolf,
You don't need to do that anymore. You are allowed, two boxes of Cuban Cigars per person back to the states. We just bought two boxes of Monticristo's they were about $95 euro at Bajaras airport to insure that they were authentic, last month. My husband loves them. He is going to buy two more boxes on his trip to London next month. The embargo was lifted a few months ago, once Elian was sent home.

#46240 - 05/22/01 06:58 PM Re: Non-EU citizens get tax refund
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Nic,

Since I'm just down the road from you... in Rockford... I'm waiting for my invite over to your home for "after dinner wine & a cigar." laugh

Montecristo is my fav cigar... I ran out months ago, now I need to get back to Spain and buy some for both my wife and I (she don't smoke them fortunately rolleyes ) That leaves more for me....

Wolf (leaning back... smelling the aroma of a Montecristo in his mind)

#46241 - 05/22/01 08:34 PM Re: Non-EU citizens get tax refund
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
WAIT! WAIT! WAIT!!!! ????? WHAT??!?!!?! "The embargo was lifted when Elian was returned"?????? Ummm.. WHY is it this is the first I've/We've heard of this???? Shouldn't THIS be on the cover of Time Magazine and shouldn't we now be able to travel to Cuba??

This is getting WAY off topic (I think we could easily start a THRIVING "CUBAN CIGAR" thread in the "General Chatter" forum), but I TOO love cubans/puros/Montecristos and MIGHT HAVE brought some back last October, but MIGHT HAVE taken them out of the box, and MIGHT HAVE taken off the rings/labels, and MIGHT HAVE put them in a ziplock bag to bring back. And now you're tellling me we're now allowed 2 boxes brought back without problem???? Where can I find this information??

Coincidentally, I smoked one of my last 2 Montecristos two nights ago -- getting dry -- but still, knowing they're Montecristos and FROM Cuba makes it a wonderful cigar. I only smoke about one cigar a month (and don't smoke ANYTHING else!), but want it to be good when I do.

If the embargo has been lifted, why can't one buy puros cubanos in the states now? I subscribe to a cigar catalog and have never seen them there.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#46242 - 05/23/01 09:05 AM Re: Non-EU citizens get tax refund
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
I haven't been able to find anything on the embargo being lifted either. Maybe Clinton lifted it for one day so he could replenish his stock... before leaving office wink

Now, as for MadridMan's method of bringing in illegal contraband, rest assured the Wolf would never do such a thing rolleyes

Wolf

#46243 - 05/23/01 10:04 AM Re: Non-EU citizens get tax refund
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
I do not believe that I am crazy, but it is fairly well known that you are allowed cigars now. I should have been a bit clearer, the entire embargo was not lifted, but it was on cigars. And there is a two box limit. I just reconfirmed with people in my office and my husband, for what ever that's worth. And if not, then nobody in customs cared. Glad you all don't know where I live.... eek eek Maybe someone could search Cigar Afficiando or something.
Wolf, come on down anytime, maybe we should start a Chicago dinner group. I knew it would only be a matter of time.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments