Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#46136 - 01/10/01 02:18 PM Sunday Flea market (The Rastro in Madrid)
Amy25 Offline

Loc: Troy, MI USA
Does anyone have any information about the Rastro in Madrid. I have read a little bit about it, can anyone give me a little bit more information.

#46137 - 01/10/01 03:13 PM Re: Sunday Flea market (The Rastro in Madrid)
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Do a search on this board for the Rastro-there's tons of info. Also, do a search at www.chicagotribune.com It was New Year's Eve day (12-31-00) that they had a big piece in the Sunday Home & Garden section

[This message has been edited by Jen (edited 01-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Jen (edited 01-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Jen (edited 01-11-2001).]

#46138 - 01/10/01 04:33 PM Re: Sunday Flea market (The Rastro in Madrid)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Amy25- I've only done the Rastro once, back in '92, and from all of the build-up, I was expecting a bargain bonanza. I was more than disappointed, as all I seemed to be able to find was the same junk that is sold in markets all over Spain and most of Europe. I think that the ambience must be why people "love" it so much. It is, as advertised, a big flea market. There are some unique items, but mostly trinket vendors who have a stall and hope to sell you junk. A pair of jeans there isn't going to be too far off the price you'd pay at Cortefiel, etc. I found the leather market in Florence (too bad you're in Spain) MUCH better, and of higher-quality merchandise.

I will reiterate, though...for sheer people-watching and spectacle, it's worth one visit.

#46139 - 01/11/01 01:46 AM Re: Sunday Flea market (The Rastro in Madrid)
chopchi Offline

Years ago the Rastro was the place on a Sunday morning to go with the hope of getting a good deal on something you couldn't easily come across not only in Madrid but Spain.Today you truly can buy /find a tremendous amount of items in stores.I agree the good deals are gone and the uniqueness has disappeared.We went this past summer.Everyone had an enjoyable time but we all laughed because most of the items were from Asia, including their bargain fans, castanets,earrings,tee-shirts.The group did have an opportunity to speak Spanish and even listened to me and bargained and took some great photos w/stallowners.We did notice that at a specific time in the afternoon all sales must stop ,the stalls are broken down and the police just sweep through in great numbers from one end to the other.Not a good time to mess with them.They make it very clear that the Rastro is over for the day.Very efficient and impressive end to a fun experience.

#46140 - 01/11/01 06:46 AM Re: Sunday Flea market (The Rastro in Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Good suggestion, Jen. Amy25, you'll find the HUGE thread entitled " El Rastro (Madrid) " with postings as recently as November. Enjoy!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#46141 - 01/12/01 01:01 PM Re: Sunday Flea market (The Rastro in Madrid)
chopchi Offline

Jen, how do you get the Chicago Tribune article on the Rastro w/out paying for it ? All I could get was one or two sentences.
Thanks

#46142 - 01/12/01 01:07 PM Re: Sunday Flea market (The Rastro in Madrid)
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
chopchi-
I doubt you can get it w/out paying. Since the Tribune is a big paper, perhaps your local library may have it, especially since it was just a couple of weeks ago. good luck.

#46143 - 01/18/01 09:06 AM Re: Sunday Flea market (The Rastro in Madrid)
Xena Offline

Loc: Bucharest
At El Rastro you can find almost anything on sale at very low prices. Though you'd better buy some things (like shoes or paintings for example) at the specialized shops cause they can prove to be of poor quality.
I didn't like the experience to walk on the Rastro streets, they were so full of people, I walked ten yards in like ten minutes, I didn't have the space to move on.

#46144 - 01/24/01 03:36 AM Re: Sunday Flea market (The Rastro in Madrid)
Miguelito Offline

You can find also some second hand clothes, as second hand shops are not very common in Spain and some old things that you'd never think someone could wanted to buy them. Time ago it was also possible to change comics and picture-cards, I don't know if these are still possible. But as they said before I think it's just worth more for looking than for buying.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments