Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#46011 - 09/18/00 01:36 AM cigarettes in Spain
Eva12 Offline

Loc: LaConner, Wa, USA
are they expensive in Spain in comparison to the states?

im wondering whether to load up at the duty-free or should I not bother? is loose tobacco (roll-yer-owns) readily available?

thanks
eva

#46012 - 09/18/00 03:11 AM Re: cigarettes in Spain
francisco Offline

Loc: Madrid
One packet (20 cigarettes) of Marlboro costs 400 pesetas ($2.10) in Spain.

I don´t know what the prices are in the states, but in other parts of Europe are a lot more expensive.

Saludos.

#46013 - 09/18/00 09:43 AM Re: cigarettes in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
My ladyfriend used to buy Marlboro cartons here in the US and take them to spain, but then she learned that they were almost the same price in Spain! Apparently, they don't get taxed as heavily there as they do here.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#46014 - 09/18/00 10:15 AM Re: cigarettes in Spain
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Major American brands of smokes can be found there, but I'm not sure that they're American tobacco. Marlboro MIGHT use tobacco from the Canaries. Loose tobacco is easy to find, too.

[This message has been edited by Jen (edited 09-19-2000).]

#46015 - 09/18/00 11:34 AM Re: cigarettes in Spain
missmadrid98 Offline

Some Spanish cigarettes are cheaper, like Fortuna's and Fortuna Lights. A pack of Foruna Lights is like 300 pts, then there is L&M which are a bit cheaper, they have L&M and L&M lights! hope that helps

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#46016 - 09/18/00 02:41 PM Re: cigarettes in Spain
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
They are cheaper, and if you buy Fortuna you will safe money and they are as good as Malboro. Another good thing is that you can smoke and nobody looks at you like you are a killer, a dumb or something like that. I am a smoker and I am so tired of people looking at me like I am doing something bad her in the States. I like to smoke (I miss having my after-lunch coffee and a cigarrete in Spain) and I try not to bother the people around me so I would like to enjoy my cigarretes.

[This message has been edited by Nuria (edited 09-18-2000).]

#46017 - 09/18/00 03:08 PM Re: cigarettes in Spain
missmadrid98 Offline

yes nuria the united states looks at smoking like you are the grossest and most stupidest person in the world if you smoke, it is definitely looked down upon. I live in Los Angeles, and in the state of California you cannot smoke anywhere, it is illegal!! like you are not allowed to smoke in a bar, restaurant, sometimes not even outdoor cafe's!!!!!! The health concious thing that america has a kick about is ridiculous, they think they eat all healthy, non-fat things, eat food with no flavor or don't eat to enjoy, cause it has to be non-fat, no carb, low sodium with protien (whatever ) and they think they are being healthy, and they look at smoking as the most unhealthiest thing there is (not to say it is healthy for you) but yet their lives are filled with stress, no free time to enjoy what life has to offer, no laughter or music, and don't have an idea on how it is to relax and enjoy the passion life has to offer. it's a sad sad thing that is missing here in this country and spain flourishes in it, smoke your fortuna lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have my friends send me packs from now and then so i can enjoy one with a cafe con leche in my home and pretend i am in spain for those wonderful 10 minutes!!!!!! Can't wait till i move in january!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by missmadrid98 (edited 09-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by missmadrid98 (edited 09-18-2000).]

#46018 - 09/19/00 11:15 PM Re: cigarettes in Spain
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Nuria and MissMadrid-
I beg to differ. I used to be a Fortuna fan(and still am for nostalgia's sake!) but I must say that it is most definitely an inferior quality of tobacco than, say, Marlboro. . If you've ever opened up a Fortuna, you'll see that it is loaded with stems and even chunks of wood! I doubt this is true, but friends in Sevilla used to say that they made Fortunas out of the sweepings from the floor. Watch, now Fortuna will sue me for slander! Totally kidding! Don't anybody start talking about how Americans (yes, and I mean North Americans, of course, or mejor dicho, ¡estadounidenses!) are litigation happy! Isn't it interesting how you used to see practically only Fortunas and Ducados and now the whole country is plastered w/ Marlboro and Winston signs? Oh, another thing that might make you homesick for Spain-the fact that you can buy single cigarettes at the kioskos! Actually, come to think of it, I don't recall them doing that the last time I was over there. Anyone? Anyone?

#46019 - 09/20/00 12:28 AM Re: cigarettes in Spain
miles Offline

Loc: atlanta georgia usa
yes, the kiosks, as well as, any veinte duro still sell handy individuals. it's the little pleasures....

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments