Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#45919 - 08/01/00 07:17 PM Flea Markets
momic Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA
I'v read that the Madrid has the biggest flea market in the world. Is it on Sunday? Is it absolute mayhem, and something to avoid, or is it worth it for me and flea market minded mother to check it out? Vale la pena, o no?

Also, does anyone know if there is anything like second hand shops, or charity shops, or consignment shops where one might purchase good quality clothing at a lower price? Specifically in Barcelona and Seville, but generally does the concept exist in Spain?

#45920 - 08/02/00 12:06 PM Re: Flea Markets
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
El Rastro (the name of the flea market) is something you should definately try to check out. There are dozens of streets filled with booths selling everything you could imagine.
I'm sure Madridman can give you the exact location of it.
The only thing I'd watch out for is the pickpockets. It seems they are all over during that time. But dont' let that keep you from going.

#45921 - 08/02/00 06:25 PM Re: Flea Markets
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I didn't know "El Rastro" was the biggest flea market in the world.

It takes place on Sundays mornings and bank holidays mornings. But this only refers to booths. The regular shops open also during weekdays.

You can download a good Madrid map from my site at http://www.chelo.com . Look for "La Latina" subway station at the left bottom corner. "Plaza de Cascorro" and "Ribera de Curtidores" are the main Rastro streets.

As for second hand shops, you can find some at El Rastro. However, as far as I know they are not popular in Spain. In fact, there is one at 15, Hortaleza and their products are even more expensive than new ones!!.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#45922 - 08/02/00 07:27 PM Re: Flea Markets
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
In Sevilla, check out la Alameda on Sunday mornings. Also, on Thursday, check out a market called "el jueves"(interestingly enough), whic used to be on calle Feria, but is now also held at la Alameda.

It seems that they are slowly catching on to the idea of thrift shops. I know that there are some in Sevilla, but I neither know where nor the names.

Have fun and happy shopping!
Jen

#45923 - 08/18/00 11:47 PM Re: Flea Markets
16inMadrid Offline

When i was in spain this summer, i went to el rastro and i had so much fun! i was very disappointed that i wouldn't be able to return because that was my last sunday in madrid. i actually never saw any pickpockets (and I was looking because i had heard so much about them in this particular flea market). but then again, i looked like a poor student, so why would they try to rob me? but it is definitely worth going to....the prices are great but you shouldn't accept anything for the price they have...you have to haggle. they have everything, clothing, jewelry, shoes, food, anything at all. have fun!
cd

#45924 - 09/05/00 12:14 PM Re: Flea Markets
supaJack Offline

Loc: Houghton, Mi, USA
At el rastro no one in my class could get the vendors to haggle with us. They all tried to get us to pay the asking price for everything! Sadly our class didn't buy to much because we had all just practiced bargening in spanish class. But on the up side they did have an incredibly large selection.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments