Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#45897 - 07/19/00 03:39 PM Renting a cell phone in Spain...a good idea?
chicachica Offline

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
I'm going to be studying in Madrid for the fall, and I'm trying to figure out what will be the cheapest way to call home. I've heard about renting a cell phone over there. Since I'm only going to be there for a few months, is it worth it? or should I just buy calling cards before I leave? Any ideas would be appreciated... (I'm also planning on traveling across Europe after the semester ends--do you know if I can rent a cell phone that Icould bring everywhere with me?)

#45898 - 07/19/00 04:37 PM Re: Renting a cell phone in Spain...a good idea?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
For calling home and best ways to call, check out the 2 or 3 postings in the "Packing" forum about calling cards, calling home, etcetera.

As for renting cell phones, I really don't know, but would think that would be difficult to regulate/monitor. Maybe with limited calling plans. But then, you might as well use a phone booth with those kinds of restrictions. Seeing as how MOST (is seems) of Spain owns a cell phone, hopefully some of the Spaniards will shed some light on this topic.

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 07-19-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#45899 - 07/19/00 08:23 PM Re: Renting a cell phone in Spain...a good idea?
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
as i suggestion, i wouldn't purchase any calling cards from the u.s. then go to spain, cause most of the american calling cards you have to use an 800 number to use it,and you can't access a 800 from spain, just keep that in mind. i always use pesetas in payphones to call home, it's cheap and easy.

------------------
San Lorenzo del El Escorial Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#45900 - 07/19/00 09:37 PM Re: Renting a cell phone in Spain...a good idea?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Chicachica, most current (local-US) long-distance companies offers a calling card (not the pre-paid kind, but the kind you can use when away from home and have it billed to your home account). Take it to Spain with you and be sure you already know your company's local access number. With that you can call for a less than you would if you used a phone booth.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#45901 - 08/02/00 03:42 PM Re: Renting a cell phone in Spain...a good idea?
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
I think that renting a cell phone(un móvil, as they call it) would be quite handy. As MM said, practically everyone has one. This is because Telefónica has a monopoly on everything and service is just so so. Using pay phones is a pain w/ coins, not so bad w/ a calling card. I also think that Europe's cell phones will work all over.

#45902 - 08/03/00 11:16 PM Re: Renting a cell phone in Spain...a good idea?
momic Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA
Because we will be travelling by car, I would be interested in having a cell phone on hand in case of emergency. We'll be travelling around much of Spain, so I don't know if this will be possible due to roaming, or whatever.

Also, in case we had car troubles, who would we even call? Any suggestions?

#45903 - 08/04/00 05:08 PM Re: Renting a cell phone in Spain...a good idea?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Hi momic,

Spanish phone companies refer to "roaming" as the possibility of using your cell phone outside Spain. If you want to buy/rent a phone in Spain and then use it in other countries you have to ask them (they have to enable the roaming service for you).

If you meant you wanted to travel around Spain with your cell phone, that's ok. You won't have any problems. However, some companies have better coverage in some areas than others.

Currently there are three cell phone companies in Spain:

* MOVISTAR. It usually have the best coverage but their prices are quite expensive. People say it has better coverage in the north of Spain.

* AIRTEL. It has better coverage in the south of Spain but it hasn't in some areas in the north!!.

* AMENA. This is the newest companie. It has the best prices but the worst coverage. However, in some areas it uses the Movistar coverage.

As for calling someone in case of car troubles, if you are in a highway where you have to pay, you need to call the company running (no other companies are allowed to enter the highway).

At any other roads, your car insurance company usually have an assitance service. Of course, you can always call the Civil Guard (which operates in roads).

Regards,

Antonio

PS: Visit this official site http://www.dgt.es (there is an English version).

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments