Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#45867 - 05/09/00 12:39 AM El Rastro (Madrid)
Jake Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY, USA
MadridMan,

Have you ever been to El Rastro? I hear it's an open-air flea market in Madrid. What kinds of things do they sell there?

#45868 - 05/09/00 05:36 AM Re: El Rastro (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Jake!

Yes, I have been to El Rastro 3 times I think. It's located in the barrio lavapies area, just a little northeast from the Puerta de Toledo.

It is an open-air flea market, held on Sundays, has HUGE crowds to where it can be difficult to walk/breathe/scratch-you-nose.

They sell absolutely EVERYTHING at these booths!! I've seen fine leather works (shoes, purses, wallets, etcetera), clothing, toys, but mainly you'll see the odds-and-ends like antiques, old radio tubes and old books, lighting and plumbing fixtures, old movie and bullfight posters, bullfighter's suits of lights, just everything and anything you could imagine.

Just two words of advice though:
1) be prepared to haggle on ALL prices
2) never carry your money in your back pocket as pickpocketeers are well-known to hang out at El Rastro and the crowded situation helps them to get what they want from unsuspecting shoppers.

In short: if you want something, chances are GREAT that you'll find it (in good to poor condition/qulaity) at El Rastro.

Hope you make it to Spain someday soon!

Saludos,

MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#45869 - 06/02/00 04:58 PM Re: El Rastro (Madrid)
carmie Offline

Loc: Portland, Maine, USA
When I first went to Spain, I rented a room from a family who lived directly above the Rastro on the Ronda de Toledo. I arrived in Spain on a Saturday and imagine my surprise when I looked out the wondow on Sunday morning! The Rastro is really neat - Madridman is not kidding when he tells you to be careful with your wallet - I found myself in the Police Station reporting thefts on two different occasions - It's not a place you want to visit!
But don't let that discourage you - Just keep your wits about you!
Carmie

#45870 - 06/16/00 10:43 PM Re: El Rastro (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Carmie, I can well imagine your surprise when you woke up that first Sunday morning. What a wonderful view you must have had - hope you took some photos.

Here are some details about El Rastro:
C/Ribera de Curtidores
Metro La Latina, Puerta de Toledo/bus 17, 18, 23, 35, 60, 148, C. Open dawn-approx 2pm Sun, public holidays.-10

I understand that El Rastro ALSO takes place on Saturdays, but on a MUCH MUCH smaller scale.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#45871 - 06/17/00 03:53 AM Re: El Rastro (Madrid)
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
As far as I know, the Rastro only takes place on Sundays and public holidays.

However, on Saturdays and also on weekdays "normal" shops are opened. It's only booths that are only opened on Sundays.

Saludos,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 06-17-2000).]

#45872 - 06/17/00 09:55 AM Re: El Rastro (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Thanks for the clarification, Antonio. I could have sworn I heard/read somewhere that it took place on Saturdays too, but smaller. Guess not. Just goes to show you can't believe everything you see/read on the internet. By the way, did I tell you that I won the lottery last night? Heheheee.. I WISH! If this was true I'd be writing how I was moving to Madrid TO LIVE near La Rosaleda or even in barrio Lavapies or barrio Salamanca.

(back on topic) I understand...or as I read somewhere... that one can buy used bullfighter "Suit Of Lights"/"Traje de Luces" in a few specialty stores around El Rastro. Not that I would want one, but how odd! But then, El Rastro is a place where one can find ANYTHING no matter how odd or old or worthless. I can't wait to go back and just stroll around -- as well as one can stroll with 10,000 other people with little-to-no space from one to the next. It can be a bit frustrating, but it's still cool.

Saludos, MadridMan
--------------------
For books about Madrid, visit MadridMan's ALL Spain Market @ http://www.MadridMan.com/allspainmarket.html

#45873 - 06/17/00 11:40 AM Re: El Rastro (Madrid)
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I don't think you can buy a second hand "traje de luces" at El Rastro. They are really expensive as they are hand made by nuns.

Regards,

Antonio

#45874 - 11/27/00 04:04 PM Re: El Rastro (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

[originally posted by mclarke...thought it would be useful here too]

See article on Madrid

"In Madrid, a Flea Market Squared"

Sunday, November 26, 2000; Page E04 -Washington Post

After schlepping through museums and eating more tapas than you can stand, the most enchanting way to pass time in Madrid is at the largest open-air flea market in Europe. For more than five centuries, El Rastro has taken over the streets in the Embajadores neighborhood about five minutes from the famed Plaza Mayor.

Even if you're inept at plucking treasures from trash, El Rastro is a don't-miss sensory circus: The Gypsies and tourists claw at each other to snatch the best blouses from large piles on tables (think sale at Filene's Basement, times two). Parakeets in grimy cages tweet at passersby and bad '80s music screeches from boomboxes. The buttery scent of fresh bread wafts through the air.

It's easy to lose count of the number of Bon Jovi T-shirts on sale, but it's also easy to find great bargains: sterling silver necklaces, lovely Spanish shawls, soft leather shoes and furniture worth shipping home. During one trip, we picked up some delightful Italian scarves for less than $4 each; a hand-crocheted purse for $8; athletic socks that, a year later, are still top-drawer faves; and a wooden toy insect on a spring.

WHEN: Sundays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The market is also open on Saturdays and bank holidays, with fewer stalls and smaller crowds. Not as much fun then.

WHERE: El Rastro radiates from the Plaza de Cascorro in southwestern Madrid. Take the Metro to La Latina or Tirso de Molina (about 65 cents each way) and follow the crowds.

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND: Crafts, antiques, new and used clothing and shoes, household goods, music, movie memorabilia, soccer pins, artwork, comic books, unidentifiable leather garments and a wicker plant holder shaped like an anatomically correct burro. Prices range from those found at typical yard sales to high-end antiques stores, though with the strong exchange rate you're bound to get a bargain regardless.

TAKE A BREAK: After hours of walking and browsing, we quenched our shopping thirst with a cafe con leche and a bocadillo (sandwich) from an unremarkable restaurant where bread crumbs covered the floor like sawdust. Tapas bars open early in this neighborhood, so there's always a place to rest your feet and have a bite. One of our favorites is the classy La Escondida, Puerta Cerrada 6, for excellent cheeses, thinly sliced serrano ham on crusty bread and a glass of Rioja wine.

HOLD ON TO YOUR PESETAS: El Rastro is one of the most popular places for thieves to slip their hands into your pockets and then slip unnoticed into the crowd--with your wallet. Tourists are targeted, but even the locals are careful. Use a money belt or zippered purse that you can sling across the front of your body. To avoid unwanted groping, wear slacks or a skirt without pockets.

WHERE TO STAY: The staid and stylish Gran Hotel Reina Victoria (Plaza Santa Ana 14, 011-34-91-531-4500) is within walking distance of El Rastro and is the hotel of choice for visiting bullfighters. Doubles start at $175.20. For homier accommodations, consider the pleasant Hostal la Macarena (Cava de San Miguel 8, 011-34-91-365-9221), close to the market and near dozens of lively restaurants and bars. Doubles from $48.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments