Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#45660 - 11/22/07 11:08 AM Spanish History Info?
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
I'm looking for references (books, web otherwise, preferably in English), that detail Spanish History between 1800-1825. In particular the history of Andalucia, including the port cities of Southern Spain.

Here is the context: I'm working on a project that involves the end of the Barbary Wars between the United States and pirates of North Africa. To place this in context, I would like to know as much as possible about the Spanish situation at the time. Politics, lifestyles, involvement in the above mentioned conflicts and so forth.

Any assistance, guidance, would be much appreciated.

Gracias!

#45661 - 11/28/07 12:06 PM Re: Spanish History Info?
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
"Spain 1808 - 1939" by Raymond Carr comes to mind. Warning, this tome is not for the casual reader.

#45662 - 11/29/07 05:25 PM Re: Spanish History Info?
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Gracias, I'll take a look for that book.

#45663 - 11/29/07 08:10 PM Re: Spanish History Info?
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
De nada. I've seen this book in a couple of libraries. It is a very thorough study of Spain during this era. It breaks down many aspects of Spain's history, such as the church and agriculture. I've tried to pick it up and read it, but it's a little too heavy for me. I could barely get through Hugh Thomas' "The Spanish Civil War".

#45664 - 12/11/07 02:42 PM Re: Spanish History Info?
LeoMessi Offline

Loc: NYC
You could also try a book written by Stanley Payne called A History of Spain and Portugal (1973). He's a well-known historian of Spain. The advantage here is that this book is available for free online. Here's the address: http://libro.uca.edu/payne2/spainport2.htm

This is a link to the second volume which covers the period you're looking at. The Raymond Carr book is good too. And if you pick up the Raymond Carr book - or any other book - you could look at the bibliography in the back to get some other titles to look at.
Anyway - hope this link helps.

#45665 - 12/12/07 10:14 AM Re: Spanish History Info?
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

LeoMessi,

Thanks for that link. I have the Carr book, and now this online book. Both very helpful. Another great resource for those looking for an interesting perspective on Spain is H.V. Morton's A Stranger in Spain.

admiral44

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments