MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#45552 - 12/07/06 07:59 AM Saint Louis University in Madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I was wondering if anyone had any information about St. Louis University in Madrid ? One of my students is very interested in attending the 4 year program! (I wish I had known about this program way back when!) Does anyone know anyone who attended this program and/or graduated from the Madrid campus?

She also told me that Suffolk University in Madrid has a program in Madrid as well. So, does anyone know anything about these programs?

#45553 - 12/07/06 10:53 AM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
SRedw Offline

Suffolk University is only a two year program, while St. Louis University is a 4 year program and when the student graduates from St. Louis University, his or her degree will be valid both in Spain and the US.

St. Louis is very expensive, while I think that Suffolk is cheaper.

That's all of the information that I have about the two, but please encourage the student to email both, get information and make a comparison.

Study abroad is always a good thing and I have a friend who's doing her full 4 years in Spain at St. Louis doing her BA in Spanish. SHe likes it a lot.

Shawn

#45554 - 12/07/06 06:42 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Esperanza, I think this may be a newer program at Saint Louis. I have occasionally kept in touch with one of my profas from SLU, and several years ago she encouraged me to tell my interested students about a new program where the students could spend two years in Spain and two in St. Louis. So, unless she just neglected to tell me about this program, I think it's a relatively new one.

As for enjoying SLU, I loved it and I know my former students who have gone there (for a semester) have also loved it. I think all of us would say that it was really challenging (the profs don't let you off the hook just because you're there for a semester) but really enjoyable and a good experience. I learned a lot while I was there and I really liked the profs I had.

I think it's fantastic that students have the opportunity to spend two years or more over there and receive the same degree from SLU. The SLU tuition was expensive compared to Spanish schools (which, from what I understand, are very inexpensive like many US state schools can be), but it certainly wasn't Harvard-priced. And, I think they offer scholarships for both campuses.

Hope that helps a little!

#45555 - 12/07/06 07:02 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Quote:
The SLU tuition was expensive compared to Spanish schools (which, from what I understand, are very inexpensive like many US state schools can be)
For comparison, Complutense (a public university) costs about 600 Euros per year for a full course load (5-6 classes per semester)...

#45556 - 12/08/06 09:05 AM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
SRedw Offline

la hisoriadora,

This program is fairly new (SLU), I think less than 5 years old. It is a wonderful opportunity, and if the student wants to study in Spain, a great way t do it by completing all four years in Spain.

If people are more interested in Latin America, I know, too, that another cheap option is Universidad de Puerto Rico. When I went there, undergrad credits were $30/hr. and grad was $75/hr (1998 - 1999) and since it a part of the US, financial aid was no problem. I started my MA in linguistics there and got a free ride. It was a very good experience.

#45557 - 12/08/06 04:18 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Many thanks for your input Shawn, the historiadora and madridmadridmadrid! My student is very interested in St. Louis program and hearing your thoughts is very helpful.

#45558 - 12/10/06 01:48 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
SRedw Offline

Esperanza,

We are here to help. I hope that the student makes the best choice that will suit her and meet her educational goals.

Saludos,

Shawn

#45559 - 12/14/06 11:26 AM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
Torero Offline

Loc: Iowa
I am currently a grad student at the SLU Madrid campus in their summer program. As for undergrad programs, all SLU students can attend the campus in Madrid just as if it were the campus in Missouri. Spanish majors have the option of attending the Madrid campus for all 4 years, while most other majors can complete 2 years in Madrid and then finish their degree in Saint Louis. The tuition is the same for both campuses, although housing costs may differ. There are two dormitories on the SLU campus in Madrid and they also offer the option of staying with a host family. Since I am a grad student, I only have professors in the Spanish department and I don't think many of them teach the undergrad courses. But I can attest that it is a very good experience, the campus is located in a great area near the Complutense and I have enjoyed my summers as a student there. If you have any more questions, I would be happy to answer them. Good luck.

#45560 - 12/14/06 12:47 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
SRedw Offline

Torero,

Thanks for the student response. It's always good to get a first hand experience. I agree that it is in an ideal neighorhood which is nice and quiet and great for study.

Have a great day,

Shawn

#45561 - 01/15/07 07:42 AM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
jlnastal Offline

Loc: Madrid
I'm a current grad student in English/instructor and have had a great experience at SLU Madrid. I would be happy to put you in contact with the head of Student Life or provide anyone with more information about the campus/school - just let me know.

#45562 - 02/21/07 08:39 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

I just made my reservations to go to Madrid clap the last week of March and first week of April. One of the things we will be doing is going to see the St. Louis and Suffolk programs. My daughter is a junior in high school and she is now thinking of these two places to possibly study. I am hoping that there will be classes that week. We arrive on March 28th. After looking at the school calendar, it looks like school is in session. Who would be a good person to get in touch with to get a tour? Thanks for any help.

#45563 - 02/22/07 10:33 AM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
nevado Offline

I'm not sure if he's still around, but I used to make visitation arrangements through Jerome Hurley, at Hurleyj@madrid.slu.edu or 34 - 91 - 554-58-58. He arranged tours and was very kind to students of mine in the past.

#45564 - 02/22/07 10:35 AM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
SRedw Offline

Esperanza,

I'm glad that you will be visiting both schools. Here are some contacts for Suffolk University in Spain:

Tom Biedermann, Admissions Assistant (tom@suffolk.es)
Alina Choo, B.S., Admissions Counselor (alina@suffolk.es)

Tell them that Shawn Redwood sent you. I know both of them well.

I don't have any contacts for St. Louis University, but if you send an email to admissions, they should be able to put in touch with the appropriate contact person.

With St. Louis, if your daughter majors in Spanish, she can do the entire 4 years in Spain, which would be excellent for her. Sufflok is only 2 year program in Madrid.

Good luck,

Shawn

#45565 - 02/22/07 05:16 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

thanks for all of your suggestions! La historiadora, I appreciated your email too! I will get in touch with the people you all suggested, and I will let you know what I think of the programs after we go on "the tours". Madrid...I am so happy to be returning!

#45566 - 02/22/07 07:11 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Have a wonderful time, and I can't wait to hear all about it! Hopefully you will have some lovely weather while you are there. And, if you take a tour of campus, you may be able to see the gorgeous view of the mountains from the campus -- especially if you are on the upper levels of the buildings! cloud9

#45567 - 03/14/07 07:46 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Shawn, I made an appt. to get a tour at St. Louis and at Suffolk for the last week of March. Tom Biederman at Suffolk said to send you his regards and he hopes you are doing well in the States.

Now, MadridMan can we plan a lunch for the last week of March?

#45568 - 04/07/07 02:34 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

I am writing just to say that we are back from Madrid we did get to tour St. Louis and Suffolk while we were there. The both schools and their programs look really good and the people (students and administrators) were extremely friendly and helpful. It was a very positive experience and my daughter is going to apply to both programs next year for sure.

Oh, la historiadora--and the view of the mountains from the campus is really beautiful too.

#45569 - 04/07/07 10:07 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Be sure to let us know which program your daughter eventually decides to choose! I'm so glad that you enjoyed your visit to both schools, and I'm thrilled you could see las montañas during your tour. That view is one of many fond memories from my time there. clap

#45570 - 04/04/08 07:08 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

just to update this thread: my daughter was accepted to both Suffolk and St. Louis in Madrid clap , so now she is seriously considering them as well as St. Andrew's in Scotland. She is confused and has to make a decision this month, but I keep reminding her how lucky she is to be the one deciding! Does anyone know much about St. Andrew's in Scotland, by chance? (BTW: I am rooting for St. Louis' 4 year program in Madrid!, of course! wink )

#45571 - 04/05/08 05:14 AM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
St. Andrews University , Fife , Scotland has a good reputation . Probably it's major , recent reputation is the fact that Prince William studied his degree there I think between 2001-2005 . He started off studying "History of Art" but changed his major to "geography" in which he gained a degree .Not exactly a recommendation , but "background" none the less Esperanza . Having lived in Scotland for a year I can definitely confirm the weather is better here in Spain !

#45572 - 04/14/08 04:46 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

so, I think the decision is to go to St. Louis in Madrid. Scotland's weather was definitely a consideration in the decision, but the real reason to go to St. Louis is to be in Spain for 4 years legally...something that she has been really wanting all throughout high school. This decision means that we will be visiting Madrid more often cool and that makes the whole family so happy! clap Just wanted to post an end to the thread. thanks to everyone for their wisdom.

#45573 - 04/15/08 01:41 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

esperanza, I think it's fantastic that your daughter has decided on SLU-Madrid. While I'm sure that St. Andrew's University is a great school, and Scotland is very beautiful, I think she made a good choice to go to Madrid. Her Spanish will be fantastic, she will be studying with people from all over the world, she will have much better weather, and she will see those beautiful mountains in the distance from campus. clap

#45574 - 09/19/08 07:55 AM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

la historiadora,
I thought of you yesterday as I was talking to my daughter, who is LOVING St. Louis, because she told me that one of the best parts of her politics class is seeing the mountains from that top floor! She is so happy! and of course, I am thrilled!

So far it has been a great experience. From the orientation on the Camino de Santiago :hdspin: to her wonderful roommate and new international friends and the amazing neighborhood she is living in (Moncloa/Argüelles) to the family she is living with(who happen to be from Galicia, where our family is from!) to the school itself.

#45575 - 09/20/08 12:11 AM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

esperanza,
I was just thinking of you and your daughter as I read some of your recent posts, and I was wondering how she was doing at SLU and in my old Madrid stomping grounds. wink

I am delighted to hear that things are going so well for her, and I love that she has a great view of those mountains! cloud9

I went back to SLU this summer while I was in Madrid to visit with a favorite profesora with whom I've kept in touch over many years, and it was strange to walk around campus. It seems that it hasn't changed too much and I have many fond memories from my semester there.

Thanks so much for the post and please keep us updated on her experiences. wave

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments