Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#45048 - 04/04/05 06:55 AM Madrid - My experience learning Spanish Part 1
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
Learning Spanish in Madrid - Easter 2005

Before setting off.....
What you will find below is an account of 10 days spent in Madrid learning Spanish at a language school in the heart of Madrid by a middle-aged Scot who has been studying Spanish for just about a year and a half. The language school I elected to study at in Madrid is called Inhispania and is just of the Puerta de Sol. I organised the trip in February and went there on the 20th of March. All the booking etc was done via the Internet through their website Inhispania . I chose this school because of the price and their swift and friendly response to my initial enquiries. They also organised my accommodation for three nights in a hostal (see below) and for the full second week in shared accommodation (also see below). I was informed about my Hostal accommodation about a week before I was due to leave.

I was keen to improve my conversational Spanish so in February, I posted a notice seeking language exchange on the LoQUo language exchange section of the bulletin board for Madrid LoQUo .
The have bulletin boards for the major Spanish cities. I received 7 replies within a couple of weeks and arranged to meet a number of Spanish to interchange languages. If you do this, please come to an arrangement with them so that you agree to spend half your time communication in one language and the other half in the second language.

Well, here goes – I hope that some of you will find this interesting.

Sunday 20th March
The trip from Scotland went well, I flew British Airways from Aberdeen to Madrid via Heathrow. On arrival in Barajas, I made my way to the Metro. It is generally well signposted, but I did get lost briefly. After getting to a moving escalator it is not clear whether to go up the escalator or carry straight on – go up the escalator to the first floor (Signposted Terminal 1 facturacion (check in)) and carry straight on to get to pick up the signs for the Metro again. It is a fair walk from Terminal 1 to the Metro.
I bought a Metobus (10 trips on bus or Metro for 5.80 Euros. This represents a big saving since a single journey (sencilla) costs 1.15 Euros. For more on the Madrid Metro see http://www.metromadrid.es/ . You can choose your language preference form the drop-down menu on the top right of the home page.

I went straight to the Hostal La Plata on Gran Via to drop off my suitcase. There website is http://www.hostal-laplata.com/
I found the hostal easily – it is well placed for the main sights in the centre of Madrid and the room I had was of good quality. Here is the room I had.

Despite being close to the reception area it was quiet. At night, there is no one on duty in the hostal but at the main door off the street, there is a portero (doorman) who will take you up to the Hostal (on the 4th floor) and give you your key.
There is an elevator; the room was clean and fairly spacious for a a single and also contained a double bed. The bath and toilet facilities were on-suite. The room was cleaned daily as you would expect and clean towels were put in every day. The staff are friendly.

I wandered into town and ended up having paella and a beer in a small restaurant in Calle de Echergaray.

By the way, I noticed that there was a lot of building work going on in and around the facade of Hostal Bianco II. Also, despite going back a few times, the bar Los Gabrieles, appeared to be closed (sadly).

Later that evening I met with Beatriz for Intercambio We met in Plaza de Callao and went to VIPS for a drink and a sandwich. I had spent some time tying to find a place to top up my Vodafone card (I use a Vodafone Tarjeta when I am in Spain and have a Spanish number – works out cheaper than using my UK one), but some of the phone card kiosks in and around Sol were out of top up coupons (cupon de recarga), and was able to top up electronically in VIPS on Gran Via. You just give them your mobile telephone number and state how much you want to top it up by, and a few minutes later, you receive a message on you mobile confirming the transaction.

Monday 21st March
First Day at school. I was a little apprehensive, but looking forward to it. I arrived at Inhispania on Calle de la Montera at 0940 (It is worth saying at this point that, despite its centrality, the upper part of Calle de la Montera is a touting place for ladies of the night (some are there in the morning), but don’t be put off the area is very well policed and I saw no evidence of trouble).

They were efficient with all paperwork ready. I was shown around after handing over the balance of the money I was due to pay them for the course and accommodation. You can pay by credit card but there is a small surcharge.
The timetable at the school is as follows:
10.00 – 11.30: grammar lesson
1135 - 1300 conversation class
1315 – 1400 culture class
I had been placed in the High intermediate class (intermedio alto) and there were 6 of us in the class.
The topic for the first day were:
grammar lesson - oraciones condicionales con si ( if...)
conversation class - religion and monarchy but no conversation and
culture class - we listened to and talked about the title track from the flamenco/ jazz CD by Bebo y Cigala called Lágrimas Negras. I new this song (I play it in my car) and was able to cotribute and take part fully.

Most of the students in the class had been there for several weeks and were naturally younger then me, but this was not a concern, so if you are in a similar position to me, do not be put off.

In the morning before class, I found a good restaurant/cafeteria for breakfast: Dulcinea on Calle Caballos de la Gracia at the top of Calle de la Montera, on the right – the bar is about halfway along this street on the right.

By the way, the sister restaurant to La Finca de Susana is located on this street. It is called La Glorieta de la Montera.

After class I went back to lunch Dulcinea for a bocadillo de calamares (squid sandwich) and a coke, then went back to the hostal to do my homework. Later that day, I met for intercambio with Roberto for 2 hours went to a bar in Callao for coffee and did language exchange for two hours.

At night, I went to restaurant Madrid Catedral just along from Lhardys on Carrera de San Jerónimo near Puerta del Sol. Had the menu de noche -lentejas (lentils) conejo al ajillo (rabbit with garlic) and Macedonia de frutas (fruit salad) bread and a beer for 11.45 Euros. It has magnificent decor inside.

Went and did some emails and then back to hostal for 2300. At night, a regular feature of my daily routine was to go and do my emails. I would recommend the internet cafe in Plaza de Canalejas on Carrera de San Jerónimo. The reason I say this is that they issue you with a swipe card that you use to log on. You normally buy time in multiples of 1/2 hour but any unused time is added to your card and you can use it later. It is callled Workcentre and is open 24/7.

Robbieroy
Continued ........

#45049 - 04/04/05 07:00 AM Re: Madrid - My experience learning Spanish Part 1
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Madrid - My experience learning Spanish Part 2

Tuesday 22 March

Went to my local Dulcinea to have a coffee and read El Pais. Got news at class where I would be staying next week - with Ana in Calle Dos Hermanas in Lapivies. I was to meet her at 1600. Classes consisted of the use of using se to express involuntary actions and ser and estar meanings with the same adjective. conversation class was again one way. Culture was about a film El día de la bestia.
For lunch went to la Dulcinea on Calle de lo Caballos de Gloria and had a Montada de boquerones.

In the afternoon, I decided to explore the area around where I would be staying and also to find out where the apartment was.
I walked down to the flat from Sol. It was an interesting walk through side streets with lots of small bars cafes and shops. Arrived there early and had a coffee on the corner before meeting her. She was a nice person and explained about not being able to get the key until Sunday. She said that I could leave my case there until Sun.

At 1530 I met with Franclsco for an intercambio at Sol and we talked for 2 hours - l hour in Spanish and 1 hour in English.
On returning to the hostal I told them what I was going to do with my case. They said that I could leave it there so I did. Phoned Ana to let her know the situation about the case.
I went back to Madrid Catedral to eat - Fabes con almejas (white beans and whelks in a tomato sauce) and salmon and fruit salad. Again the same price.
Went and did my Emails and then back to the hostal.

Wednesday 23rd March
Packed and left my case at the hostal and went for a coffee at Dulcinea.
Grammar class: Class Ser Y Estar and revision of the past tenses.
Went to the conversation class and left early for the airport. The culture class was going out for tapas. I went via Dulcinea for a boquerones sandwich and a coke.

From Wednesday to Sunday, I was staying with my lady friend in Fuegirola and spent a lot of lime playing tennis at Campo de Tenis Lew Hoad, situated between Fuengirola a Mijas.
http://www.tennis-spain.com/

I had a great time down there catching up with friends and tennis players that I have known for many years.

Sunday 27th March
On my return to Madrid I went to Plaza Mayor to see the Easter Sunday Tamborrada (mass drum roll) as part of their Semana Santa festivities, and went into Bar Andalu for a coffee - busy wlth lots of people viewing the bullfighting photographs. By this time, I felt a little bit hungry so I investigated the area around Plaza Mayor for a cheap but healthy menu of the day. I eventually decided on Meson de Cuchilleros which is located in a side street off Plaza Mayor called Calle de los Cuchilleros. You can find it by going down the steps located at the South West corner of Plaza Mayor.

The menu of the day was varied and I settled for
ensalada mixta (mixed salad)
merluza (fish) with salad
arroz con leche (rice pudding)
bread and wine
all for 10.75 Euros.

I then went for a walk round the centre of Madrid to see a few of the sights. From the restaurant at the my walk included the following –

Calle de San Justo
Calle de Sacramento past the Ayuntamiento.
Then on to Calle de Baillen where I walked north past on the left La Almundea Plaza de la Armaría and the Palacio Real and the Jardines de Sabatini and on the right Plaza de Oriente. Next on the right was the Palacio del Senado. Continuing along Calle de Baillen the next stop was Plaza de España. After a short rest, I went on to Gran Vía and headed SE. Jumped on the metro to go to the Retiro. On a Sunday, there are lots of people strolling around and families having picnics.
After having a coffee, I walked back into town via the famous Prado museum.

The rest of my day was spent collecting my luggage and moving into my shared apartment in the Lavapiés area of the city.
Here is where the apartment is located:

and here is a view along the Calle de las dos Hermanas:

If you walk down Calle de/ Meson Parades, you will see the old church of which is being used at the University of Distance Learning.

The nearest metro stop is at Tirso de Molina, although La Latina is also nearby.

As previously mentioned, will be living with Ana who shares her apartment with language students. After I had settled in, we shared some gambas, tuna empanadas, green olives which had been soaked in garlic together with a couple of glasses of Manzanilla.

Monday 28th March
Back to school again this morning.
More on the past tenses and then on to reported speech (el estilo indirecto).
The conversation class was weak again. In the culture class, the topic was social films. We saw some clips from El Bola, the first Spanish film about parental physical child abuse.

Following this, l met up again with Francisco for more English-Spanish language exchange. We met in the Goya area and had lunch while we talked. This lasted 2 hours.

After going back to the apartment to do my homework, I met up with Marina at Kilómetro cero in Sol. After a walk around we ended up in Viva Madrid (off and parallel to Carrera de San Jeronino, between Calle de Echergaray and Calle del Principe)for a beer. We chattered in English and Spanish for 2 hours.

Tuesday 29th March
I managed to get my hands on a copy of Qué which is a free daily newspaper (20 minutos and Metro) are also free. Impressions - I thought it was too colourful.
Grammer class - reported speech
Conversation class was slightly better.
Culture class was good; it was about the years following the death of Franco and the liberty that the Madrileños enjoyed during their new found freedom - La Movida Madrileño.
After a sandwich of bocarones in Dulcinea, it was homework time.
In the evening, I met up with Marina again and we went for a stroll to El Templo de Debod, via Plaza de la Villa.
We ended up in a cafe bar just off Plaza de Oriente. We talked for 2 hours

#45050 - 04/04/05 07:01 AM Re: Madrid - My experience learning Spanish Part 1
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Madrid - My experience learning Spanish Part 3

Wednesday 30th March
After my usual morning coffee at Dulcinea it was off to classes. Today, grammar class consisted of more on reported speech. Conversation class today was excellent - we had a different teacher. The class really took off and had a real Spanish feel to it - with many people talking at the same time!. Well done María from Jaén!
After a calamares sandwich at Dulcinea, it was homework time.
After homework, it was time to update my journal.
I had not arranged any language interchange activities for tonight so I took myself off to Madrid Catedral to eat. Once again I opted for the Menú de Noche and had white beans with trlpe (alubias con callos) and mero (white fish) and salad. I also had a beer with the meat and pacharan to finish (total cost 14 Euros).

Thursday 31st March
I was running a bit late thls morning so I took the Metro from Tirso de Molina to Gran Vía so that I would have time for a coffee at Dulcinea. Wow - the tube was busy!
Classes today consisted of-
Grammar- more reported speech
Conversation - debating on smoking
Culture - Spanish gastronomy

After class I went to FNAC on Calle de Preciados, walking north from Sol tp Plaza de Callao to buy a grammar book.

and then on to Dulcinea for a calamares sandwich.

After getting back to the apartment, and doing my homework I went shopping for some Manzanilla( a sherry) to take back home.
The established routine continues with a trip to Workcentre to check my emails and then on to Madrid Catedral for something to eat. A fantastic mixed salad followed by a cazuelita of calamares and chiperones. No room for a sweet, so I had a coffee instead and, of course the obligatory pacharan. All in all, another excellent menu of the day and only 13 Euros.

Friday 1st April
I continued the usual routine this morning before the start of classes.
In the school, Grammar class consisted of using verbs that are used to report speech. In conversation, we talked about a variety of issues. The best part was the Culture class when we went for tapas. We went to a tapas bar called La Neru. It is an Asturian bar in Calle Bordadores just off Calle Mayor to the right, walking from Sol to Plaza Mayor.

It is well worth a visit if only to watch the staff pour sidra (cider) from bottles into glasses from a great height. Beers only cost 0.90 Euros and you get a free tapa of tortilla or chorizo or Asturian blue cheese.

Later in the afternoon, I met up with Beatriz and we spent a good two hours language exchange. We walked up to Plaza Santa Ana for a beer.

Although it is a very pleasant situation, be warned - it can be expensive. Later we walked down to Plaza Mayor for a calamares sandwich and some patatas bravas, and of course some beers.

At night, I did my packing and washed down some cheese and chorizo with some Manzanilla.

Next morning, it was off to the airport for the flight back. We were delayed by just over and hour and I was lucky to get my connection at Heathrow to Aberdeen. I made it to the plane but my suitcase did not. It was delivered to me next morning.

Well, that is my diary for my language-learning trip to Madrid.

Finally:
Did I enjoy it ?– yes, a lot.
Would I do it again? – Yes, I would go back tomorrow.
Did it help my Spanish? – Yes, I was much more confident at conversation. Would I use Inhispania again? – Yes, they were friendly and efficient.
What nationalities were there? – There were French, German, Americans, Italians and British.
How are you allocated to a class? I did an on-line test and submitted it (it is available on the site).
Was it worth the expense? – Yes, definitely.

Robbieroy

#45051 - 04/06/05 04:09 AM Re: Madrid - My experience learning Spanish Part 1
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

I have had some private messages in response to this posting. Here is some further information that may be of use to those thinking about using Inhispania Language School.

Accommodation: the school organised my accommodation. If you look at their website, they present different accommodation options: student shared apartment, shared apartment and hostal. Because I was only in Madrid for 3 nights during the first week, it made sense to be placed in a hostal. I had requested a shared apartment for the second full week and this they gave me. You can see a brief review of the Hostal La Plata above and also in the message
here

Finding the school: the school is VERY easy to find, since it is located on one of the main streets off Puerta de Sol, the centre of Madrid. Look at any map of Madrid and you will see Calle de la Montera running NE from Sol.

Getting to the school. The hostal I was placed in was a five-minute walk from the school. The shared apartment was 1 metro stop or a ten-minute walk from the school. I used to walk to the school in the morning and back home in the afternoon – a very pleasant and enjoyable stroll. Inhispania offer accommodation in a central location.

Immersion activities: if you look at their website, you will see that they do organise activities – I suppose these could be called immersion, since they are all in Spanish. For example: they show Spanish films in the afternoons (usually from 5.00pm), they have organised trips to cultural events or attractions and there is tapas with the teachers. Sometimes tips to other locations such as Toledo may be offered. The activities and films change on a regular basis.

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions, do not hesitate to post a message on the board. I regularly check it out so the reply will be swift
Robbieroy

#45052 - 04/12/05 04:39 AM Re: Madrid - My experience learning Spanish Part 1
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

I forgot to mention in my report that Inhispania will issue students with certificates to show their level of course that was studied, how long you studied it and your overall general performance during the course.
Make sure that you ask them the day before you finish that you would like a certificate.
Robbieroy

#45053 - 04/16/05 05:47 AM Re: Madrid - My experience learning Spanish Part 1
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Wow, what a lot of info. Almost merits a web site of its own!!!

#45054 - 05/02/05 09:02 PM Re: Madrid - My experience learning Spanish Part 1
AgenteMunicipal Offline

Loc: Canada
¡Most Interesting!

#45055 - 05/05/05 10:11 AM Re: Madrid - My experience learning Spanish Part 1
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
robbieroy,

Great info - very comprehensive + interesting!

#45056 - 05/05/05 12:22 PM Re: Madrid - My experience learning Spanish Part 1
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Thanks Puna
As you can tell, I really enjoyed and I am thinking about going back, possibly in October. Although I will be in the south of Spain for 1 month during July, it it difficult to get immersed in the language. Apart from a few (who are Spanish), most of the people I know there speak English, so regular practice is difficult.
If I were to go back to Madrid, I would go to the same language school and try to get the same accommodation.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post!
Regards
Robbieroy

#45057 - 05/18/05 11:34 PM Re: Madrid - My experience learning Spanish Part 1
La Tortuga Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Thankyou RobbieRoy! I am new at this message board thing, but I am finding it a delight as I peruse the postings. I leave for Madrid on May 31 for just a couple days and then I go to Valladolid for Spanish School. I've had 2 semesters of Spanish in college and feel woefully inadequate for this trip. Your posting was insightful and helped to remove some of the fear of the unknown. I am thrilled by the opportunity to go to Spain, but have never travelled to Europe so am a bit apprehensive. But, Oh so excited! Life is good and I am blessed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments