Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#45042 - 03/27/05 12:54 PM Spoke Catalan..more like French or Spanish ???
AgenteMunicipal Offline

Loc: Canada
As some who speaks/reads/writes French Fluently, and can understand Spanish (but speak poorly)...I can read Catalan to the point of getting a jist of what the paragraph is a about...

but I've never heard Catalan spoken before...my question is...in relality, is spoken Catalan more like French or more like Spanish ???

#45043 - 03/27/05 01:14 PM Re: Spoke Catalan..more like French or Spanish ???
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
It has a big influence from both languages. You should be able to understand it more or less while reading it, because the vocabulary is similar to french or spanish (or by the way, to any lathyn language).

Understanding it spoken is somewhat more difficult. Think it is a completely different language, so you will have the same difficulties as if you were trying to understand italian.

Fernando

#45044 - 04/15/05 11:05 AM Re: Spoke Catalan..more like French or Spanish ???
fadapreta Offline

Loc: Chicago
Radio Nacional de España broadcasts a channel in Català(Ràdio 4). You can listen on-line at
http://www.rne.es/index.htm

#45045 - 04/26/05 09:34 PM Re: Spoke Catalan..more like French or Spanish ???
AgenteMunicipal Offline

Loc: Canada
Thanks

#45046 - 05/23/05 07:01 PM Re: Spoke Catalan..more like French or Spanish ???
Old-Gringo Offline

Loc: Arizona
Here’s my cut on it.

A long time ago I visited my company’s factory in Barcelona.

In the waiting room they had the company creed on two large plaques. One was in Spanish (which I speak), the other was Catalan (which I don’t speak). As I had some time on my hands I studied each.

I would probably be assaulted in Barcelona for saying this but this is what I concluded from this quick non-academic study, Catalan is Spanish with about 10%+ French thrown in.

Interestingly most Spaniards (non-Basque, non-Catalan, non-Valencian) I’ve shared this observation with, totally agree.

Obviously this is a touchy subject.

Old Gringo

#45047 - 05/24/05 04:59 AM Re: Spoke Catalan..more like French or Spanish ???
albert Offline

Loc: madrid
Put a soup spoon full of peanut butter in your mouth and try to speak spanish, that's about the same thing as speaking in catalan.

As many times as I travel to barcelona, I swear I don't understand a freaking word of what they are saying to me in catalan.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments