Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#44931 - 02/16/05 02:32 PM 'American' Schools Good for kids? moving to spain
socalgirl Offline

Loc: california
i was wondering if anyone could give me some info as far as the effect of moving to spain from california might have on kids. i have a 10 and a 16 year old. are the american schools in spain reputable? will my 16 year old fall behind? do the schools have honor classes? what is the culture of the kids in spain? someone please HELP!!!

#44932 - 02/16/05 03:46 PM Re: 'American' Schools Good for kids? moving to spain
ColinK Offline

Loc: Atlantic Highlands, NJ- USA
I think it will depend on your kids. My family moved to Denmark when I was 12, and I stayed there through High School. I absolutely loved it. But I'm a bit more outgoing than others in my family who didn't enjoy it as much. I don't know any specifics about the schools in Madrid. But the two international schools I attended in Copenhagen were great. Far superior, I think, than most schools here in the States.
Your 16 year old will probably have to choose whether he will follow the normal American curriculum or perhaps go for the IB- International Baccaulareate. Doing this would help him if he wanted to go to university in Europe.

#44933 - 02/16/05 04:03 PM Re: 'American' Schools Good for kids? moving to spain
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi socalgirl,

The American schools in Spain are all independent of each other, have different characteristics and make ups, and really can't be lumped together. Which city might you be moving to? You'll have a better chance of hearing about a specific American school if you can tell us where you'll be!

I can tell you that the American School of Madrid is an excellent school, your children would not fall behind there, they have honors courses, and between the excellent programs and unbeatable location, the education they would get there would be outstanding in many different ways.

But not all the rest of the American schools have the same programs, student body make-up (the one in Madrid is probably the most international), facilities, etc.

#44934 - 02/16/05 04:03 PM Re: 'American' Schools Good for kids? moving to spain
socalgirl Offline

thank you for your response. we will only be there for a year and i did see an IB accredited school. I don't even know where to live in madrid! I would like a nice neighborhood. This is all so new and I have never lived anywhere other than the states. if it was just my husband and i, then there would not be an issue. hey, i appreciate your response! Thanks! By the way, all the pictures i see of madrid look cloudy and cold. is it ever hot?

Hi Diana,
thank you for responding. we most likely will be in madrid. i will look up the school you mentioned. do you live in madrid? do you have kids?

#44935 - 02/16/05 04:21 PM Re: 'American' Schools Good for kids? moving to spain
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I lived in Madrid for 13 years. (Well, in the city 7 years, and in the suburbs of Majadahonda 3 years, and Villafranca del Castillo 3 years.) My children were born there and went to school at ASM from preschool through first and second grades. I taught there.

Don't worry, you'll love it in Spain! The people are wonderful, and there is a large and friendly American expat community in Madrid to help you if you wish. With children in school you're bound to meet lots of people and you can be as busy as you like doing a huge variety of things.

And yes, it does get hot in Madrid!

There are many nice neighborhoods to choose from. You may want to be near the school your children go to, and all the major international schools are in nice neighborhoods. Other Americans with children tend to live near the schools as well. Since ASM is in Aravaca, there are lots of Americans living in Aravaca, Pozuelo, Humera, Majadahonda, Las Rosas, etc (all to the west of the city), as well as Spaniards and families from all over the world, there for diplomatic and multinational work.

Good luck with your move! Please feel free to ask about anything on this board - there are a lot of regular posters in Madrid now who can help a lot. There is also a lot of information archived here - you may want to run a search for topics you're interested in as well.

#44936 - 02/16/05 04:41 PM Re: 'American' Schools Good for kids? moving to spain
socalgirl Offline

Diana, thank you! I have been searching the site extensively! Im excited and yet scared. Don't know if I'll make the move yet. I might send my husband and I'll travel back and forth. Thanks and have a great day!

#44937 - 02/18/05 10:33 PM Re: 'American' Schools Good for kids? moving to spain
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
i realize i dont have much authority or anything here but i just felt moved to post. i'm just a 21 year old college student who has studied in spain... twice. i dont know your kids, or their personalities, but i say make the move, especially if it is just for a year. what an opportunity!!! living abroad is such a learning experience in itself, what i got out of it has made me a different person, and is something i would not trade for anything in the world. and to be able to do that with your family, i wish i had had such an experience before college!
kelly smile

#44938 - 02/19/05 09:28 PM Re: 'American' Schools Good for kids? moving to spain
socalgirl Offline

hey kelar419, thank you for that. Actually the experience would be the main factor in making the decision. I should not rob my kids and family from such an experience!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments