Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44900 - 01/23/05 06:56 PM What is School like? Do's & Don'ts?
meencantaespana Offline

I'll be in Spain for 2 weeks and attending school with my friends...whats school like in spain? different than USA?

#44901 - 01/24/05 10:54 AM Re: What is School like? Do's & Don'ts?
lngarrison Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
What kind of school are you going to? I went to summer school in Cadiz for Americans and went to the University of Barcelona for a year studying university subjects with Spanish students, but I think those experiences would be very different than from, for example, just a two week Spanish-language intensive course catered to Americans.

The month long course in Cadiz was intensive, very much like taking American university courses where the students interacted with the professor. It was much easier than any of my subjects at the University where I had to memorize everything and there were only lectures during class. If you had any questions, you had to find the professor or their teaching assistant during their office hours, which were rare.

#44902 - 01/24/05 04:29 PM Re: What is School like? Do's & Don'ts?
meencantaespana Offline

I am not going to a American school where they cater to my needs. I am just shadowing my friends for the 2 weeks and I wanted to know what to expect.

#44903 - 01/27/05 06:49 PM Re: What is School like? Do's & Don'ts?
Avril Offline

Loc: Athens, Georgia(UGA), USA
Well I have never heard of a two week program but I know in general school in spain in harder than in the US. For example it is hard to get an A, a really good paper there may get a B and just in general professors are less your friends like many american professors are and they are more there for you to listen to and they aren't as concerned if you do your work or not. They aren't going to be like where's your paper if you dont' turn it in. Now I'm going to tell you I've never gone to school in spain but I have to friends that are from there and two studying there right now, one in valencia and one in madrid and that is what they have said so it's not just rumors. But since you'll only be there two weeks I don't know that you'll have to go through a lot of exams or papers. How is that going to work, are you just sitting in on the classes for two weeks while you are there? I'd love to hear about it when you get back, and what university are you going to?

#44904 - 01/30/05 05:50 PM Re: What is School like? Do's & Don'ts?
meencantaespana Offline

Did you read my last post? First of all I am not going to a university. I am 16 years old and I am just SHADOWING my friends for 2 weeks in a high school. I wanted to know what it was like in school. Thats all

#44905 - 01/30/05 06:15 PM Re: What is School like? Do's & Don'ts?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
School in Spain is a little bit harder than in the USA, and the methods are also different. Or that is what I was told (I couldn't compare though).

Through the day, you will attend various classess (not different class rooms, but different topics of study), mainly maths, spanish language and/or literature, physics or chemistry, history, english language, religion or ethics, gym and computering. It may have changed a bit, but that is more or less as it used to be. The teacher usually explains something and then make some exercises or solve some examples. Then the students are given some exercises to make during class time or as homework.

There are a couple of breaks, one at 11 o'clok more or less, and one more for having dinner at 13,30. Classes start at 8,30 and end at 4,30 (again, it depends on the specific center).

You will be subject of curiousity by the rest of the students, that's for sure, but you will experience something very very special too. Being with your friends guarantee you will have a very good time smile

Don't be afraid, be open minded and enjoy every single moment of this experience. I'm sure you won't forget it. I will suggest not to speak during class time in order to avoid teachers regret your invitation to their classess wink

And tell us upon arrival at home!

Fernando

#44906 - 01/30/05 07:02 PM Re: What is School like? Do's & Don'ts?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
(originally posted by meencantaespana on 01-30-2005 04:45 PM)

Is there anything I should know about going to school in Spain, does and don'ts? I'll justb e there for 2 weeks but I want to make a good impression.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#44907 - 01/30/05 07:02 PM Re: What is School like? Do's & Don'ts?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
School is much more formal in Spain. Kids dress more conservatively (or wear uniforms). Kids don't interact or discuss topics during class as much. The teachers have more authority. Also, teachers pay more attention to things that we tend to let slide in the US, like posture, handwriting, someone stretching or yawning in class, kids whispering, eating, drinking, chewing gum, etc. In general, you'll have to be on your best behavior, or you will get called on it.

But don't let that scare you off--I'm sure you will have a great time and your whole perspective on life will change.

Oh, and you'll get a nice long break for lunch. Depending on what the kids you are shadowing do, you might get to leave school and eat at home.

#44908 - 01/30/05 08:03 PM Re: What is School like? Do's & Don'ts?
meencantaespana Offline

What do you mean they were will be curiouos by me?

#44909 - 01/30/05 08:53 PM Re: What is School like? Do's & Don'ts?
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
If you are shadowing your friends in class and not acutally enrolled, you should get permission from your instructor to be in class. I had a friend whose father came to visit him at the university of sevilla in class. The professor was very angry. He wanted to know why he did not ask the professor permission for his father to attend the class.He went on about it in front of the class.

#44910 - 01/31/05 04:48 PM Re: What is School like? Do's & Don'ts?
meencantaespana Offline

ok, i am NOT going to a university...for the 4th time. and yes i have permission

#44911 - 01/31/05 05:20 PM Re: What is School like? Do's & Don'ts?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
They will be curious because you are going to be the unique american around, the unique english-speaking man all around, and from an alien culture smile

That is not necessarily bad wink

Fernando

#44912 - 02/09/05 04:40 PM Re: What is School like? Do's & Don'ts?
Imajica1975 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
So what university will you be studying at? ...and correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to get permission for that sort of thing?

laugh

#44913 - 02/09/05 06:17 PM Re: What is School like? Do's & Don'ts?
meencantaespana Offline

thanks lol

#44914 - 02/09/05 11:18 PM Re: What is School like? Do's & Don'ts?
Student Offline

Loc: USA
Imajica, I don't think she's going to a university. confused laugh laugh

#44915 - 02/15/05 01:01 PM Re: What is School like? Do's & Don'ts?
lngarrison Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
What ever you do, do not talk to your friends in class or pass notes, like how we do in the US.

Your friends will get reprimanded in class! They are very strict there. Save the talking for between classes. Everyone will want to talk to you b/c you are a teenaged American.

The Spaniards are very friendly people and will ask you lots of questions! It's always nice to bring photos (or even American magazines like People) from 'home' to share with everyone as well.

But remember, the teachers will have all the authority (esp if it is a Catholic school)! Be on your very, very best behavior!

Have a great time!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments