Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#44695 - 07/08/04 04:59 PM I need help!
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I just got a project dumped in my lap that requires that I say "They provide security systems." The word that the company has sent me seems to be proveer (ha provisto?), but I thought proporcionar was the right term How would you suggest I say this, and if it is proveer, how in tarnation do you conjugate that thing?
By the way....they need this, of course, two hours ago! eek

#44696 - 07/08/04 06:00 PM Re: I need help!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Both verbs are correct:

"Nos proporcionan los sistemas de seguridad"

"Son nuestros proveedores de sistemas de seguridad"

"Proveedor" is the agent that sells you a product or service. "Proveer" is used whenever that agent provides you a product or a service, so it is a comercial technicism.

"Proporcionar" is a more common term.

Fernando

#44697 - 07/08/04 07:57 PM Re: I need help!
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Thanks, Fernando! My dictionary says that proveer is a regular verb, but it doesn't look right to write proveió. How do I conjugate it? Like leer?

My son is an editor for a company that every now and then gets something to deal with in a language other than English. If he can't handle it, he calls me. And if I'm stuck...Madrid Man and Fernando to the rescue!

#44698 - 07/09/04 06:07 AM Re: I need help!
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Quote:
My dictionary says that proveer is a regular verb, but it doesn't look right to write proveió. How do I conjugate it? Like leer?
Yes, it's like leer, so the past tense is proveyó.

I you want to conjugate any Spanish verb, the Website of the Real Academia Española provides it. Just enter http://www.rae.es , press on the first link upleft (Diccionario de la lengua española), enter the word in the appropriate field, and you'll get its meaning. If the word is a verb, simply press the blue square in its definition and, voilà, you'll get the conjugation.

#44699 - 07/09/04 06:20 AM Re: I need help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

True. "Proveer" is good, "proporcionar" also.

Proveyó is the past form.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments