Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#44677 - 03/31/05 06:36 AM Translating Problem
espagnole Offline

Hi, i am in a rather bad situation, I volunteer in my local church in the UK, Maidstone, and next week our parish is having a visit from 3 Christian church leaders from Madrid and the surrounding areas as part of our world of Christianity summer. I have been given the task of organising a presentation with the children from Sunday school and we have made collages and paintings and each of the children will say a little piece, I have been asked to give a presentation in SPANISH about the city of mardrid in general, as i have no idea how to speak Spanish i was wondering if someone could help me out with the translation, i have written the piece in English and used google translator below but i have been told it is not accurate, iam a big fan of the site, keep up he good work. Thankyou very much for your time.

I’am going to talk about the capital city of Spain, called Madrid. Madrid is located in the centre of Spain on the Iberian peninsular. The average annual temperature in the shade is 13ºC . In the colder seasons, the minimum temperatures often fall below freezing point, although in the city itself it rarely snows. During the peak summer months the temperature can easily reach 40ºC. The city covers and area of 607km squared and has a population of nearly 3 million.

Madrid is a city full of economic and cultural diversity, there is the traditional Spanish architecture which can be seen all around you but the finest examples include the Palacio de Telecomunicaciones built at the beginning of the 20th Century the magnificent white palace is now home to the central post office; another fine example is the bull ring called Las Ventas built in mudejan style, this impressive building is formed of red brick and ceramic tiles. Opened in 1931 the ring is also used for rock concerts and political meetings. In the town centre there is a laid back atmosphere around the many cafes and bars. Perhaps Madrid's most famous tourist sight is the Plaza Mayor; the grand square was built in the 15th century and remains a top attraction. But intertwined to this culture you have the modern buildings and new developments for the 21st century. The most notable being the Puerta de Europa These 2 towers are built in metal and glass 27 storeys high and look like a gateway to the city as they are leaning 15º off vertical.

When visiting Madrid the transport facilities are excellent, the metro provides coverage for all the top attractions and for destinations further a field the national rail service has high speed trains connecting Madrid to Cuidad Real, Córdoba and Seville. 7km outside Madrid is Barajas Airport which serves destinations worldwide. Add these factors to the excellent cuisine, hotels and nightlife Madrid is one of the premier tourist destinations in Europe.

The future looks bright for Madrid as the city is currently bidding to host the 2012 Olympic Games which will mean millions of pounds investment in the local communities and poor areas of the city. The annual fiestas are a guaranteed source of visitors with events such as La Paloma, converting the old centre of Madrid in a constant stream of street parties, dances and popular celebrations during the first half of August. Madrid is a city for the past, present and future.

TRANSLATED

MADRID I'am que va a hablar de la ciudad capital de España, llamada Madrid. Madrid está situada en el centro de España en el peninsular ibérico. La temperatura anual media en la cortina es 13ºC. En las estaciones más frías, el punto bajo cero de las temperaturas de la caída mínima a menudo, aunque en la ciudad sí mismo él raramente nieves. Durante los meses máximos del verano la temperatura puede alcanzar fácilmente 40ºC. Las cubiertas de la ciudad y el área de los 607km ajustaron y tiene una población de casi 3 millones. Madrid es una ciudad por completo de económico y la diversidad cultural, allí es la arquitectura española tradicional que se puede considerar todo alrededor de usted pero los ejemplos más finos incluyen a Palacio de Telecomunicaciones construido al principio del vigésimo siglo que el palacio blanco magnífico es casero ahora al correos central; otro ejemplo fino es el anillo del toro llamado Las Ventas construido en estilo mudejan, este edificio impresionante se forma de ladrillo rojo y de baldosas cerámicas. Abierto en 1931 el anillo también se utiliza para los conciertos de la roca y las reuniones políticas. En el centro de ciudad hay una atmósfera reclinada alrededor de los muchos cafés y barras. Quizás la vista turística más famosa de Madrid es el alcalde de la plaza; el cuadrado magnífico fue construido en el décimo quinto siglo y sigue siendo una atracción superior. Pero intertwined a esta cultura que usted tiene los edificios modernos y los nuevos progresos para el siglo XXI. El ser más notable las torres de Puerta de Europa These 2 se construye en los cuentos del metal y del cristal 27 altos y parece una entrada a la ciudad mientras que están inclinando 15º de vertical. Cuando visitar Madrid que las instalaciones del transporte son excelentes, el metro proporciona la cobertura para todas las atracciones superiores y para las destinaciones fomenta un campo el servicio de carril nacional tiene trenes de alta velocidad el conectar de Madrid con Cuidad verdadero, Córdoba y Sevilla. los 7km Madrid exterior es el aeropuerto de Barajas que sirve destinaciones por todo el mundo. Agregue estos factores al cuisine excelente, hoteles y el nightlife Madrid es una de las destinaciones turísticas del primero ministro en Europa. Las miradas futuras brillantes para Madrid como la ciudad están haciendo una oferta actualmente para recibir los 2012 juegos olímpicos que significarán millones de inversión de las libras en las comunidades locales y las áreas pobres de la ciudad. Las fiestas anuales son una fuente garantizada de visitantes con acontecimientos tales como la Paloma, convirtiendo el viejo centro de Madrid en una corriente constante de los partidos de la calle, de las danzas y de las celebraciones populares durante la primera mitad de agosto. Madrid es una ciudad para el último, presente y futura.

#44678 - 03/31/05 07:44 AM Re: Translating Problem
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wow! That IS a challenge. I'm a bit bewildered as to WHY you were asked to give a presentation IN SPANISH - a language you don't speak or know - to CHILDREN who don't speak Spanish either! OR - were you asked to give this presentation in Spanish, with the HELP of the children, to the visiting Spaniards? Mmmm.. Don't they already know about Madrid? Sorry for my confusion but I was curious as to how this could have happened... TO YOU! eek I imagine I would be ready to leave the country if someone asked ME to, say, give a 5-minute presentation to Japanese Nationals - IN JAPANESE!! YIKES!! eek

I wish you the best of luck and good luck with the tranlation. Those translation websites, including http://www.FreeTranslation.com , only give a very basic translation and cannot take into account all parts/styles of any language.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#44679 - 03/31/05 09:02 AM Re: Translating Problem
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I can't do it now as i'm at work but will do it for you tonight when i get home! smile

#44680 - 03/31/05 11:20 AM Re: Translating Problem
jabch Offline

I’am going to talk about the capital city of Spain, called Madrid. Madrid is located in the centre of Spain on the Iberian peninsular. The average annual temperature in the shade is 13ºC . In the colder seasons, the minimum temperatures often fall below freezing point, although in the city itself it rarely snows. During the peak summer months the temperature can easily reach 40ºC. The city covers and area of 607km squared and has a population of nearly 3 million.

Voy hablar de la capital de España, llamada Madrid. Madrid esta localizada en el centro de España en la península Ibérica. La temperatura promedio bajo la sombra es de 13 grados centígrados. En la temporada de invierno, las temperaturas bajan hasta el punto de congelación. Sin embargo, en la ciudad rara vez nieva. Durante los meses de verano más calientes la temperatura alcanza fácilmente los 40 (cuarenta) grados centígrados. La ciudad tiene una extensión de 607 Km2 (seiscientos siete kilómetros cuadrados) y tiene una población cercana a los 3 (tres) millones de habitantes.

Madrid is a city full of economic and cultural diversity, there is the traditional Spanish architecture which can be seen all around you but the finest examples include the Palacio de Telecomunicaciones built at the beginning of the 20th Century the magnificent white palace is now home to the central post office; another fine example is the bull ring called Las Ventas built in mudejan style, this impressive building is formed of red brick and ceramic tiles. Opened in 1931 the ring is also used for rock concerts and political meetings. In the town centre there is a laid back atmosphere around the many cafes and bars. Perhaps Madrid's most famous tourist sight is the Plaza Mayor; the grand square was built in the 15th century and remains a top attraction. But intertwined to this culture you have the modern buildings and new developments for the 21st century. The most notable being the Puerta de Europa These 2 towers are built in metal and glass 27 storeys high and look like a gateway to the city as they are leaning 15º off vertical.

Madrid es una ciudad con diversidad económica y cultural. La tradicional arquitectura española puede ser vista en muchos lugares, pero los más finos ejemplos son el Palacio de Telecomunicaciones construido a comienzos del siglo XX (veinte), este magnifico palacio es hoy casa de la oficina de correos; otro fino ejemplo es la plaza de toros de Las Ventas, la cual fue construida al estilo mozárabe. Este impresionante edificio fue construido con ladrillo rojo e incrustaciones de cerámica. Las Ventas abrió sus puertas en 1931 y su ruedo también es utilizado para otros eventos, como conciertos de rock y mítines políticos. Alrededor de los cafés y bares del centro de Madrid la atmósfera es relajada. Tal vez, el lugar mas turístico de Madrid sea la Plaza Mayor. Esta gran plaza fue construida en el siglo 15 (quince) y continúa siendo una de las principales atracciones. Pero inseparable a esta cultura, encontramos los modernos edificios y nuevos desarrollos del siglo XXI (veintiuno). El más notable es La Puerta de Europa que consiste en dos torres construidas de acero y cristal, las cuales con sus 27 (veintisiete) plantas e inclinación de 15º (quince grados) respecto a la vertical parecen la entrada a Madrid.

When visiting Madrid the transport facilities are excellent, the metro provides coverage for all the top attractions and for destinations further a field the national rail service has high speed trains connecting Madrid to Cuidad Real, Córdoba and Seville. 7km outside Madrid is Barajas Airport which serves destinations worldwide. Add these factors to the excellent cuisine, hotels and nightlife Madrid is one of the premier tourist destinations in Europe.

En Madrid el sistema de transporte es excelente, el metro llega a todas las atracciones turísticas y para otros destinos más lejanos se cuenta con el servicio nacional de tren, el cual es de alta velocidad y conecta a Madrid con Ciudad Real y a Córdoba con Sevilla. A siete minutos de Madrid está el aeropuerto internacional de Barajas. Si se añade a esto, la excelente cocina, hoteles y vida nocturna, Madrid es uno de los destinos turísticos de mayor importancia en Europa.

The future looks bright for Madrid as the city is currently bidding to host the 2012 Olympic Games which will mean millions of pounds investment in the local communities and poor areas of the city. The annual fiestas are a guaranteed source of visitors with events such as La Paloma, converting the old centre of Madrid in a constant stream of street parties, dances and popular celebrations during the first half of August. Madrid is a city for the past, present and future.

El futuro de Madrid luce brillante, esta compitiendo por la sede de los juegos olímpicos del 2012 (dos mil doce) y esto representa millones de libras en inversión para las comunidades locales y las áreas pobres de la ciudad. Las fiestas anuales de la ciudad son una fuente segura de visitantes para eventos como La Paloma, la cual transforma el viejo centro de Madrid en constantes fiestas en las calles, bailes y celebraciones populares durante la primera mitad del mes de Agosto. Madrid es una ciudad del pasado, presente y futuro.

#44681 - 03/31/05 12:06 PM Re: Translating Problem
ILbunny Offline

Loc: illinois
how unfair to do that to you.
I am sorry, I speak only conversational Spanish. I hope the Spaniards are impressed with your effort.
iBuena suerte!

#44682 - 04/01/05 04:21 AM Re: Translating Problem
espagnole Offline

WOW you are a life saver, thankoyu so much, thankyou , that is amazing, you are amazing, thankyou. I am very very greatful thankyou,

the kids wont speak in spanish, but i shall (me and my big mouth) I will let you know how it goes Thankyou once again

#44683 - 04/02/05 07:16 AM Re: Translating Problem
Amleth Offline

Loc: Madrid
I'm spanish and I'm impressed with the text laugh . I'd say they will be amazed with the performance as well. Congratulations!

#44684 - 04/02/05 01:02 PM Re: Translating Problem
mmh166 Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
Now I'm really curious, and confused. Explain again to whom you are presenting this info? Maybe I read it wrong, but I don't get why they have asked you to present information about Madrid to people who are from Madrid. You'd think your presentation would be about your city as a sort of welcome to your visitors. Fill me in!

#44685 - 04/12/05 08:09 AM Re: Translating Problem
espagnole Offline

THANKS
I gave my presentation last Sunday to the visitors it was great, my Spanish accent was not up to much but i gave it my best shot, the kids were brilliant, on of the advisors to the bishop gave them a quick lesson in Sunday school about pronouncing, it was really good to see the kids enjoying other cultures and relishing the chance to perform. I did stutter myself but they were very impressed with the effort we went to show them that we here in England embrace other cultures in these trying times that we live in. The clergy from Madrid, took part in a spot of Morris dancing and joined me and the vicar at the local vicarage for a cup of real English tea before commencing a series of 5 presentations in local Methodist and community centres, Thank you all for you help in making on of the most important days in my life go well. Thank you

#44686 - 04/12/05 06:40 PM Re: Translating Problem
ILbunny Offline

Loc: illinois
Oh, good! I am so glad to hear that all went well for you.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments