Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#44623 - 04/30/04 02:43 PM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
Imajica1975 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
In regards to Bilbao/Getxo, this program is sigificantly less expensive than all the other programs in Spain.

I understand that there are many dialects in every language, including Spanish. But at the same time, in some cases (such as creole in the U.S.), a dialect can become another language entirely. A student could come to the U.S. to learn English, and if he was stationed in creole country, he would learn creole instead (just an example). Is this the case with Bilbao/Getxo?

#44624 - 04/30/04 04:02 PM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
Imajica1975 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
"The main languages spoken here are Castellano and the ancient Basque language, Euskera, the origins of which are unknown. There are some similarities to other European and African languages but this is a unique and strange tongue which bears no relation to Spanish."

I think I just answered my own question. Oh well...

#44625 - 04/30/04 07:22 PM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
yes Euskera is an entirely different language with NO relation to Spanish, and no you wouldnt understand any of it. that said, i wouldnt let the euskera thing keep your from Euskadi. While you may hear it on some radio or tv channels, or some people on the streets, the main language is still castellano. All signs are in both languages, and in the cities everyone speaks both. In fact, Id venture to say that it is actually a minority of people in Euskadi who do actually speak Euskera. Most of what you hear is castellano. I dont know how to explain it. its not like Barcelona where Catalan really is the main language. I can tell you i learned just as much spanish in Bilbao as I did in Granada.

#44626 - 05/02/04 02:05 AM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
nevado Offline

If I had the choice, I would choose Madrid. One point that hasn't been made is that some students at your university will be staying for the entire year and it will be sad for you to have to leave half way through. If you study in Madrid in the spring, everyone will finish and it gives you the summer to travel.
Either way, you'll have a great time. Is it possible to stay for a year? One semester is so short- by the time you get acclimated, you have to go home. frown

#44627 - 05/06/04 12:37 AM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
Cristi Offline

Thanks for asking this question! I'm going to Alcala de Henares for a month. I chose it because it's a smaller city and because I could go into Madrid easily. I'm hoping to stay with a family because that was my experience in Mexico. However, I haven't learned if that will be the case yet.
One other question: How do I get my luggage from Madrid to Alcala de Henares on the train? I'm sure it's not that hard, but how do I go about it?
Thanks.

#44628 - 05/06/04 01:21 PM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
warnerchilcott Offline

Loc: Montgomery, AL, USA
My son just completed a semester in Alcala and really enjoyed living and studying there. He lived with charming Spainish family for four months and really liked it. Alcala is almost a subburb of Madrid and therefore offers a small town atmosphere but access to Madrid is easy and cheap buy bus or train. We visited Alcala last month ( and other areas of Spain) during Semana Santa. We found the city enchanting, lots of great old architecture, good but not overpriced restaurnants and bars. You will meet other students from all over the US and the world studying there. I think I'd have to recommend Alcala over Madrid for students.

#44629 - 06/18/04 11:22 AM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
Rubia Offline

Although I realize my response is probably too late to help out the original poster, I thought I would add my two cents because I have quite a bit of experience studying/lving in these cities...
First off, from the city options that you have listed (excluding Alcala) I am assuming that you are looking at the USAC program. I have studied in both San Sebastian and Madrid through that program so I can speak about those two cities specifically, and I have lived in Bilbao and spent significant time in Alicante. Starting with Bilbao.. even though it is the cheapest option, this would probably be my last choice, especially if you are looking for a typical Spanish experience (people from Bilbao please don't attack me on this one because I liked the city, but from an American student's point of view it does not offer as much as the other cities). It is a great city with a lot of things to do and culture to see, but it is not quite as senic as your other choices and you probably would not be able to find a Spanish souviner to save your life:)
San Sebastian is great, but like Bilbao is not very "Spanish". The nice thing about San Sebastian (like Alicante) it is a little bit smaller so you are really able to kinda become one with the city. People always want to go there because of the beach (which is very gorgeous and fun during the summer) but overall the weather there is not always the greatest, kinda rainy and really only hot in August. It is still a great city with a lot to offer, but one other thing I noticed is that most of the kids that went to study there were there for more of a vacation than anything so it is more difficult to try to learn Spanish because the others around you are not very supportive and since it is a smaller cities, the opportunity to meet Spaniards is not as great.
Alicante is much like San Sebastian with a little better weather (small, touristy city). Once again the beach is very attractive and so many students go there for more fun than learning (not to sound like a geek but you really don't want to leave after 6 months or whatever and not have learned a thing). Great city, lots of fun, a little more of the Spanish culture.
I have obviously saved my favorite for last because I think that hands down Madrid is the best choice (although I admit I may be a bit biased because I have a lot of family and friends there). Madrid is a great place to go for many reasons, and because I think it offers you everything you would want from a study abroad experience (except a beach, but hey, I can tell you where a couple pools are to hold you over until you can hit the beaches on the weekend or whatever). This actually brings me to my first point, which is that Madrid is centrally located with a rediculous amount of transportation options that would easily allow you to travel just about anywhere (unlike the other cities where you would most likely have to fly first to Madrid, and then wherever you wanted to go, or where a trainride to Sevilla from San Sab would be downright torture:) Also, as others have mentioned, Madrid offers you the most typical Spanish experience you could get and the city is just very special. You have so many more cultural opportunities, and also opportunities to meet and hang out with Spaniards, which is what you need to do if you want to improve your Spanish. I have found that the more serious students go to Madrid (not to say that the classes are hard, because they are not--many A+'s to show for that), but they also know how to have fun and party so I think it is a good mix. A small town like Alcala is nice, but as one of the previous posters said, you would probably find yourself spending more time in Madrid than anything else.
About USAC as a program, I cannot really say if it is good or bad because I have not studied with any other programs. I can say though that you do not have class with other Spaniards, you go to class with Americans, which as others have said, is not the best situation for learning Spanish. I also know that Madrid is really they only city where they offer the opportunity to live with college students from Spain (which would be your best option). Good program, but definitely could improve (as I am sure every program could:)
As for living, I would definitely go with the others and say either live with a family or live with Spanish students (this would be my first choice because you will probably find yourself not spending a lot of time with your family and the Spanish students can offer you so much more). I have seen too many times when kids go there to study abroad and live with other Americans and don't learn a thing because they were always speaking English. You would really be surprised how easily you can get around with speaking very little Spanish.
My final advice is, wherever you go just go somewhere, because anywhere is better than not going at all. Studying in Spain was the best experience of my life and literally changed it completely. I am now a Spanish teacher and am looking to get married to my Spanish boyfriend within a couple of years and and the we will move back to Madrid (I am so lucky:). Even if it doesn't affect your life as much as it did mine, you will seriously be so happy that you did it!!! Sorry everybody for the novel, I just really love to talk to people about this.

#44630 - 06/30/04 06:19 PM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
There can be another possible combination. Starting on September there will be an special rapid train shuttle service from Atocha to both Alcala's campuses (city center and Meco). Total travel time from Madrid 18 minutes....

You could live in Madrid and enjoy the advantages of Alcala Uni

#44631 - 06/30/04 07:55 PM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Nativo writes:
Quote:
There can be another possible combination. Starting on September there will be an special rapid train shuttle service from Atocha to both Alcala's campuses (city center and Meco). Total travel time from Madrid 18 minutes....
Yeah, that's the train the Terrorists bombed: Some of our relatives live in Alcala and work in Madrid. Alcala has a more diverse (interracial) population; and then there are the Storks. rolleyes

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments