Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44613 - 04/23/04 03:12 PM Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
Imajica1975 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
I have been given the opportunity to study in Spain either in Alcalá de Henares this fall semester, or in Madrid during Spring semester.

I realize they are both very close to one another,so that isn't really what I mean. But given the choice, which one do you think would be the better and why?

Climate based on time of year.
Things to do depending on time of year.
...Things like that.

I'm a long time lurker on this board because I admit that I sort of live vicariously through all of your travel stories, dreaming of the day when I can finally go. Now it's my turn smile
I just want to make the right decision. Any info either way would be helpful.

#44614 - 04/23/04 05:40 PM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Depends what you prefer: big city or smallish town. Madrid obviously has a lot more going for it and I'd recommend it. The only real advantage of Alcala is the human scale, especially of the university. The main campiuses of Madrid, if that's where you're going to study (ie Complutense and Autonoma) are vast and impersonal, with no real "university" feel. it could be harder to make friends there.
Climatic differences are negligible! I'd go to Madrid, on balance. Have fun.

#44615 - 04/23/04 07:58 PM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Like said before, it really depends on what you are looking for. I don't know Alcala well, so i cant give my opinion on that city.
BUT, I had to choose between studying in Granada and in Madrid. I chose Granada because it is more of a university town...60,000 students! The total population was around 350,000. So it was a smaller town. I could walk wherever I needed to go, and with all the students, and my classes being at the university will all spaniards, I really was able to make some good friends. I also felt like I was able to get more involved in stuff, dance lessons, I tutored at one of the local schools, stuff like that.

Like I said though, Ive never lived in Madrid, and dont know Alcala well, so I dont wanna try to tell you what to do. Just my thoughts...Im glad I chose to go with Granada.
Kelly

#44616 - 04/23/04 10:51 PM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
A few questions for you, though... Where do you live? How large is the school you attend now? Do you prefer a rural (suburban, actually) or urban area?

I studied in Madrid. I lived there for a few years and constantly return there. If given the option again...without a doubt, I'd choose Madrid.

Even when you have nothing to do, there is always something out there. I also prefered that it wasn't a college town, such as Salamanca. All you ever get to meet in a small college town are the same students, like you, who are looking to meet others.

You could be in the city and not run into your classmates for days on end. Don't get me wrong...I'm not suggesting an anti-social area. But when I went to Spain I wanted to meet Spanairds and deal with them on a daily basis. Living in Madrid I got to meet Spanairds from all over the country. Try finding a true madrileño! Most people in the city come from other areas.

Did I visit other regions? Yes...and loved all that I saw, especially Andalucía, and above all, Granada. But, if I were going to study and live in Spain...no question about it...Madrid.

One final question for you: have you ever been abroad? My personal experience and one that I have noticed with several other people...you always fall in love with your "first" foreign experience. In my case...Madrid.

Sheryl

#44617 - 04/24/04 01:40 AM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

About falling in love with your first experience abroad...its so true. Before studying for the semester in Granada, I studied in Bilbao. I fell in love with that city, and was heart broken to have to leave it and go to Granada. The first couple weeks in Granada, all i did was compare it to Bilbao, eventually though I grew to love them the same...they are such different cities i dont know why i ever even tried to compare them rolleyes .

Wherever you go, the biggest thing you need to keep in mind: dont do the american thing. make the extra effort and really integrate yourself into the spanish gang. I took all my classes with only spaniards (instead of the typical classes with americans trap), lived with a host family, and pretty much hung out with only spaniards or other international people the entire time i was living there. that was REALLY hard at first, but really really worth it in the end, and im sooo glad i made myself do it that way!!!! So dont fall for the american trap! Join a dance group, take classes with spaniards, live with a host family, and make the effort!
If you can do that, it wont matter so much where exactly you are.
Kelly smile

#44618 - 04/24/04 05:06 AM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
ryannouveau Offline

Loc: SF
I studied in Alcala and personally I would not reccommend it, but again it depends on what your looking for. If you prefer the fast pace of a city, Madrid is your choice. Alcala is a smaller town that I found to be very sleepy, meaning boring. I found myself constantly jumping on the train to Madrid to be with friends and to go out, but would have to end up staying with friends or getting a hostal for the night/weekend. I would dred having to go back to Acala....but it is a more cultured experience..

hope this helps..I say Madrid!

#44619 - 04/25/04 03:02 PM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
I studied in sevilla for one year. There were alot of americans there. The first semester I had intercambios and lived with two different families. They were ok. The only problem I had was having to live by the rules.Dinner at 9. Senoras get very mad when you don't show up for dinner. They take it personally. It also depends what time of year you are going.In sevilla the fall semester there were less americans. In the spring they are everwhere in central. The most important thing for learning the language is to live with and hang out with spaniards. They know the best places to go.I met spaniards and hung out almost exclusively with them my second semester. This is when my language skills grew by leaps and bounds. When my progam ended I lived in madrid for two months. I had all spanish roomates. My spanish improved greatly. It was so much fun. I really didn't really meet many americans in madrid. If you go to puerta del sol you will see them in the bars and clubs. Once you get out of those areas you encounter many spaniards.Madrid is an excellent place to study spanish. I also lived in barcelona for one month whith americans in a different program. They complained that they were not learning much spanish in barcelona.Barcelona is still beautiful and is still one of the most beautiful cities in europe.I had great times there as well.In the end it is up to you.

#44620 - 04/29/04 06:12 PM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
Imajica1975 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
Thank you all for the responses.

My goal is to become fluent en español so that is the most important thing. That being said, I have been offered more choices. (Ack!) I have been told that staying with a family is a better way to learn the language than staying with other students, so I'll be doing that. But my question is, which of these cities would I hear English less and Spanish more?

Alicante
Bilbao/Getxo
Madrid
San Sebastián

In other words, which ones will have less tourists and more locals?

#44621 - 04/29/04 07:07 PM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

in Bilbao is it through Universidad de Deusto? I really liked Bilbao. Keep in mind Getxo is outside of the actual city of Bilbao, but a quick metro ride in. Also keep in mind Bilbao is in Euskadi, and therefore not going to be your "typical" (if any such thing exists!!!), or maybe I should say steretypical, or traditional spanish city. Its a different culture. That said, I LOVED Bilbao, for sure one of my favorite places in Spain, 2nd only maybe to Granada.

Wherever you go, if you feel confident in your spanish and really want the full immersion experience, 2 things.
First, like you said, live with a family, or with other spaniards. DO NOT live with other americans. I had friends who did that and they didnt learn as much and were always together. I lived with a family, and though at times it was hard, or i didnt like it, in the end it was a much better choice!
Second, take normal classes at the university with all spaniards. NOT with all extranjeros. While really hard at fist, this is so worth it! You get to really feel like a normal student, and I found it to be a lot easier to get to know people. Plus, its an entire cultural experience in itself, very very different than your typical USA university classroom. Note: if your doing this, be sure and go in the Spring, the semesers are different if you take classes with spaniards, the first semester ends after christmas in January some time, and the second semester ends in Mid-End of June.

Just some thoughts...

#44622 - 04/30/04 11:03 AM Re: Which would be better: Alcalá de Henares or Madrid?
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
I would have to say the best thing to do from my experience is to live with students that are spaniards. I have lived with a spanish family, with foreigners(germans english)and spaniards as romates. The problem with the spanish family is that you talk at dinner time and that is really it. Whe it comes to doing outside things the isn't much going on.The best is with spaniards that are students. Not only do you live with them , but they also want to do things with you. Events such as clubbbing and you get to meet their friends.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments