Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#44451 - 12/13/03 08:18 AM Madrid language schools
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
I'm hoping to spend a couple of weeks at a language school in Madrid in May and have checked out the elemadrid website. It looks good but is also pretty expensive. Does anyone know of any other, perhaps less expensive, schools in the centre of the city? Gracias a todos.

#44452 - 12/13/03 08:45 AM Re: Madrid language schools
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
The cheapest school I know in Madrid is called William's School on Calle San Andres (close to calle Manuela Malasaña which leads from Bilbao metro station). They charge 28 Euros a month for 3 - 4 hours a week (you can take more hours at a higher cost if you wish). It has basic facilities but does have native teachers in quite a few languages (English, Español, German, Chinese, Japanese, French).
One thing to be aware of is that wherever you enrol, there will be an extra 'matriculation' charge when first enrolling. THis is basically for admin costs etc. Also in the cheaper schools (and some of the more expensive schools)it is almost inevitable that you will have to buy your course book as well so budget for up to an extra 20 Euros.
If possible I would recommend you stay a month wherever you decide to learn the language. I realise it's hard to find the time sometimes, but it's worth it.
When you're out here you can practise your Spanish in one of the many language intercambios that take place. Madrid Cafe on a Wednesday night (after 9.30) is one - it has been mentioned in oter threads here. Molly Malones pub on Calle Manuale Malasaña is another (on Tuesday nights)
Enjoy!

#44453 - 12/14/03 06:54 AM Re: Madrid language schools
Bricamb Offline

Hiya Filbert. Thanks for the very helpful advice. Sadly, I wont't be able to manage more than two weeks this year due to work constraints but I already have a reasonable knowledge of Spanish so I'm looking to build on what I know and to try to improve my spoken Spanish. Anyhow, it will be great to be back in Madrid for a couple of weeks.

#44454 - 12/14/03 09:40 PM Re: Madrid language schools
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I can never do more than two weeks at a time and find it to be great. In fact, after two weeks I am usually ready to practice what I have learned. The other really beneficial thing is to live with a family while you do the two weeks of school. You get 24/7 in Spanish and 2 Spanish meals a day. I can't help you though, in Madrid because I always head to Málaga to school. Good luck!!

#44455 - 12/15/03 12:03 PM Re: Madrid language schools
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
We attended a language school in Madrid. While being slightly less expensive than EleMadrid it was certainly not cheap. But the experience was wonderful. That school is Formula Sí.

They have a website (www.formulasi.com) and are located just North of Retiro Park in Salamanca.

Lee

#44456 - 12/16/03 07:24 AM Re: Madrid language schools
Bricamb Offline

Thanks very much again. Most schools seem to charge a fair bit less than elemadrid so I was just wondering what that school actually gives you for the additional cost. I don't necessarily want the cheapest place but don't want to needlessly pay over the top either:)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments