miche_dup1 Offline

Cheers Deibid!!

I'm still giggling.
laugh

#44347 - 10/02/03 06:40 PM Re: Spanish sayings - translation please
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
You made me remember what my mom used to say after the saying el que fue a Sevilla, perdió la silla she would respond: el que fue y volvió no la perdió and then you have to give up the seat!!
smile

#44348 - 10/03/03 05:36 AM Re: Spanish sayings - translation please
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
My wife always says: "Santa Rita Rita, Rita; lo que se da no se quita" if someone who gave something asks for its return. I guess the closest thing we have in (U.S.) Engligh for this is "indian Giver!"

Here are some more that are common in English:
desgraciado en el juego, afortunado en amores Lucky at cards, unlucky in love;
A caballo regalado, no le mires el diente Never look a gift horse in the mouth!
Cuando el gato no está, los ratones bailan When the cat's away, the mice will play
Mientras hay vida, hay esperanza Where there's life, there's hope
Más vale pájaro en mano que ciento volando A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
No dejes para mañana lo que puedas hacer hoyDon't put off until tomorrow what you can do today
no es oro todo lo que reluce All that glitters is not gold
Quien madruga, Dios ayuda The early bird gets the worm (or maybe it's: God helps those who help themselves)
Que no llora, no mama If you don't cry, you don't suckle (crying baby gets the teat)
Ojo por ojo, diente por diente An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth
no hay peor sordo que el que no quiere oir No one is more deaf than one who will not hear

There are two classes of phrases here: dichos y refranes. Some, mostly the former have an english language equivalent. Here are a couple of the latter (i.e., refrains). Madrileños very often speak in refrains.
Quien se fue a Sevilla, perdió su Silla a refran often used when several Spanish women are together and one leaves to use the restroom (or whatever) and her seat is occupied by another when she returns.
Quien guarda, halla A very succint way of saying: If you take care of your things you'll have them when you need them

#44349 - 10/03/03 06:58 AM Re: Spanish sayings - translation please
tora Offline

Great thread - really interesting!
Wouldn't "ojos que no ven, corazon no se siente" translate "out of sight, out of mind"?
cheers/tora

#44350 - 10/03/03 10:31 AM Re: Spanish sayings - translation please
miche_dup1 Offline

Of course Tora!! laugh
I couldn't remember it, yes that's the one we often use rather than 'what the eye sees not the heart rues not' hee hee.

#44351 - 10/17/03 03:04 AM Re: Spanish sayings - translation please
el viajero Offline

The English equivalent of "Santa Rita Rita..." depends on the context. I've seen it used as a Spanish translation for "finders keepers."

#44352 - 10/17/03 04:30 AM Re: Spanish sayings - translation please
rboltze Offline

Loc: Madrid
thanks everybody...really great!!!! smile smile

#44353 - 10/17/03 04:52 AM Re: Spanish sayings - translation please
el viajero Offline

Here are some more from your list:

>Agua pasada no mueve molino
There's no use crying over spilled milk.

>Al pan, pan, y al vino, vino
Calling a spade a spade.

>Aquí te pillo, aquí te mato
The gist is that you're taking advantage of a situation impulsively, without advance planning. Increasingly, it's used in connection with "quickie" sex, and in some cases could be translated as "Wham, bam, thank you ma'am" (you should pardon the expression).

>Bicho malo nunca muere / Hierba mala no muere
The devil looks after his own.

>El bien viene andando; el mal, volando
No exact equivalent comes to mind, though it reminds me of the old Yiddish saying, "Good news will keep, and bad news will refuse to leave."

>Cuando marzo mayea, mayo marcea
There's probably no exact match, though there are some relatively obscure sayings about unseasonable weather in English: "Warm Christmas, cold Easter" is one.

>Cuanto más veo, más mal veo
Perhaps "The more I learn, the less I know"?

>Culo veo, culo quiero
Very roughly... "Keeping up with the Joneses."

>Donde las dan, las toman
What goes around comes around.

>En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Probably the nearest English aphorism is Mark Twain's famous quip to the effect that it is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. However, I've seen it translated as "A closed mouth gathers no feet."

>Gato escaldado, del agua fría huye
Perhaps "Once bitten, twice shy"?

>Hombre prevenido vale por dos
Forewarned is forearmed.

>lo que no aprieta, no sujeta
"Spare the rod, spoil the child" or "You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs."

>Mucho ruido y pocas nueces
Much ado about nothing. / It's a tempest in a teapot.

>no hay peor sordo que el que no quiere oir
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

>no todo el monte es oregano
Life is not all beer and skittles.

>Que no llora, no mama
The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

>Que busca, halla
Seek and ye shall find.

>Quien dice lo que quiere, oye lo que no quiere
I can't think of an English equivalent off the top of my head. If I came across it in a translation project, I might try to make up something that puts across the meaning while sounding like a proverb. Perhaps "A loose tongue wounds the speaker."

>Quien guarda, halla
A penny saved is a penny earned.

>Por tan temprano madrugar, amanece más temprano
You can't rush things. (Not a proverb, but a common enough phrase.)

>Cuanto mas viejo, mas pellejo.
This is said to criticize old people whose "young" behavior might seem inappropriate. For example, a guy in his 70s who stays out partying all night, chasing women in their 20s.

Gee... now that I think of it... I hope you're not having us do your homework for you.

#44354 - 10/17/03 08:22 AM Re: Spanish sayings - translation please
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
From the beginning, this whole inquiry sounded sort of fishy...were we perhaps asked to do someone's school homework assignment for them? wink

#44355 - 10/17/03 09:32 AM Re: Spanish sayings - translation please
rboltze Offline

Loc: Madrid
I am neither English nor Spanish. Sayings and expressions make a language rich and interesting. However if it is not your mother tongue, it is the hardest thing to learn. Language is alive and sayings are only interesting when they are known. You might get away baffling people with sayings that they have never heard before (but usually not, if you are a foreigner). Even harder than understanding sayings in one language is finding equivalents in another.

I thought I could learn sayings from a book and started memorizing obscure phrases that nobody ever heard of. The book I got contains over 3500 Spanish sayings, from which more than 3000 are unknown with my Spanish friends. Definitelly a book you don’t need.

I thought I heard most English sayings, but I have learned a few nice new ones with this thread for which I am very grateful!!! smile

Language is fun! I have learned something new, which is great. I hope that others feel the same.
Thanks again!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments