Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44074 - 02/10/03 12:12 AM
JoanaD Offline

#44075 - 02/10/03 09:36 AM Re:
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
I'm 42 as well, and spent 13 weeks at CLIC in Sevilla last fall and highly recommend it. I'm not so sure about summer in Sevilla, though. There were a few students my age during my stay. I was a little hesitant about being the geriatric of the class, but it was a lot of fun. I made good friends with some of the younger students. Good luck in your search and have fun!

#44076 - 02/10/03 08:21 PM Re:
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I am an X-professional woman-mother who is also seriously trying to learn Spanish. I am taking college classes but find that nothing is as good as immersion when learning a language. I spent 6 weeks in Spain last summer and attended the Malaca Instituto in Málaga. http://www.malacainst-ch.es/left.htm

This school is not in Madrid, but it is excellent. It has a variety of ages and lots of students. I spent two weeks there last summer with two of my kids, and I am returning there for two more weeks this month. laugh It has exceptional teaching techniques and staff plus lots of extras. Its location in Andalucía is wonderful for weekend trips. Duke University has used it for the past 25 years. smile

#44077 - 02/10/03 09:15 PM Re:
JoanaD Offline

Thanks sel and Jana! I am looking into these schools... Altho I hear it's really hot in southern Spain in the summer, BUT... looking out the window at the snow covered, frozen tundra of my backyard, I say bring on the heat!

Joana

#44078 - 02/10/03 10:27 PM Re:
sel Offline

We were there in June and July and were never uncomfortable in Málaga. The school is air-conditioned, but our host family's house was not. They had fans and it was comfortable to sleep. It was 110º mid-day in Sevella when we were there and that was uncomfortable!!! eek

After this winter, HOT sounds good!!!!!! laugh

#44079 - 02/14/03 07:10 PM Re:
breibach Offline

Loc: Richmond, Virginia, USA
I have studied for the last two years during the summer in La Herradura Spain. (I am 48). There was a well balanced group of students... I was not the oldest or the youngest. Each summer I took my daughters with me (ages 10 and 13). Both of them had plenty of friends and there were many adult students to keep me company. We will return agian this summer. La Herradura is on the Mediterrainian 50 Kilometers east of Malaga. It is generally pleasent due to the sea breeze. If you want more info, just drop me an e-mail and I will be glad to give you more details. (By the way the classes are excellent and usually not mor then 7-8 per class. You can also get private lessons if you want them.

#44080 - 03/04/03 01:09 PM Re:
Gloria_dup1 Offline

Loc: Casper, Wyoming
This is great information. To those of you who took your kids, are there classes for young children?
Would it be easy to find activities or arrangements for the kids for part of the day? Do the schools help you with this?

Gloria

#44081 - 03/04/03 08:26 PM Re:
breibach Offline

Gloria,

In the school I attended for the last two summers, the youngest kids were about 7 years of age and there were a number of teens... college kids, young adults (in there 20's) and people my age (48) and older. They placed the students in class by ability but also tried to accomidate appropriate age. This is not always possible as you may have a 13 year old that is a total beginner while other 13,14, 15 are intermediate. What I can tell you is that any given time there may be 30-50 students in the shcool of which 10-15 may be children. It really depends on the luck of the draw. I can tell you that my kids had no problems making friends either summer. (By the way, the owner of the school has two daughters ages 10 and 6).
As for after school activities, this school is in a beach town so there is plenty to do on the beach. The school does have organized activities but it may not be every day and it may be an activity in which you have little interest. For example, there may be an afternoon volleyball game on the beach.
Also the students tend to hang aroung togehter after classes (even if not organized by the school). Finally, the school can help you organize other classes like spanish dancing, tennis, windsurfing etc. If you want more info on the school you can e-mail me (by the way I dont work for the school or get anything for recommending it.... it is just a hobby that my children and I have enjoyed for two summers). We plan to return again this July.

#44082 - 03/06/03 06:27 AM Re:
Hilde Offline

Loc: Norway
Hi JoanieD

I studied at www.elemadrid.com in Madrid last summer, and this school has students in all ages. The oldest student at the time I was there was 62, but the mayority was 35-40. You will not feel old at this school. I loved the school and have taken courses there two times. The only problem is that it is a bit expencive.

I have just moved to Madrid laugh and will study Spanish for one year at www.enforex.es (I'm starting next monday). I visited the school before I took the decition to go there (I was also afraid that I would be the oldest - I'm 35), but there where students in all ages.
I can give you some coments after I have started my classes!
Good luck in your search for school smile

/Hilde

#44083 - 03/15/03 10:05 PM Re:
sel Offline

How old are your kids?

#44084 - 03/16/03 09:39 PM Re:
breibach Offline

I took my kids, two girls ages 10 and 14. But the kids start as young as 8 years old.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments