Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#44036 - 12/03/02 03:22 PM Madrid:Academia Contacto Review
Katherine Offline

Loc: Mississippi
I just returned from Madrid where I studied for a week at Academia Contacto .

I picked this school because it allowed students who could only stay for a week. My boss wouldn't let me take any more time off than that, so I needed a one week course. Also, it is located across from the Plaza Mayor and down the street from the Puerta del Sol.

The most important reason why I picked this school is because the website indicates that, everyday, the class and the teacher go to lunch together and that there were fun activities planned throughout the week. I emailed the school director and was told that there were 3 to 4 activities planned per week. Plus, on the first day, new students take a walking tour of Madrid.

Since I only had a week in Madrid and since I was going by myself, I thought that it would be fun to meet other students, go out to lunch with them, and attend activities. More importantly, I always wanted to learn Spanish.

However, when I arrived, it turned out that I was the only new student and that I was the only beginner. I was given private lessons for two hours a day. I was aware of the policy from the website, but I was very disappointed to not be in a group.

I asked a student on that day about the group lunches and activities. He didn't know about going out to lunch with the class and teacher as it had never happened with his class. Also, the previous week, there was only one activity. The week I was there, there was only one activity on Saturday when I was returning. There was no mention of a walking tour for the new students.

The school itself has a nice facility. There are two computers that you can use before or after class. The school director was very nice and eager to please.

My teacher was very good and very fun to work with. The lessons covered a good deal of material. To be honest, it would have been more helpful if the lessons covered more basic information such as ordering in restaurants or buying something from the store instead of learning a lot of verbs. I did ask if we could cover that material, but we didn't get to it until the last day. I thought at the time that nothing was getting through to me, but I found myself typing something in Spanish, so I must have learned.

In summary, I am sure that the experience would have been different if I was in a class. I am disappointed that the group lunches and activities were not a reality as promised on the website. However, it was a good experience and I learned something.

#44037 - 12/03/02 04:17 PM Re: Madrid:Academia Contacto Review
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
That's too bad. frown

I learned last summer that it is more fun to have a full class because then the discussions are more interesting. There were officially 10 in my class although 2 of the girls often skipped. We were from 9 different countries and it was fascinating to hear the various opinions!!

I am returning in February for a 6hr/day intensive course and staying with a family. I hope that I do not run into the same problem. That would be disappointing.

#44038 - 12/03/02 04:41 PM Re: Madrid:Academia Contacto Review
Katherine Offline

I agree. I think it would have been so much fun had I been with a group. I was thinking that it might have been good for learning that I couldn't hide behind anyone when I didn't know the answer or felt shy about responding. But, at the same time, it would have been not only fun to have a group to hang out with after class, but I would have learned from them too especially with practicing Spanish after class.

This trip was my fifth to Madrid, and it was disappointing. I had hoped that I would have met a lot of people from the school and kept busy doing different things than on previous trips. Instead, after classes, I did the usual shopping and museums. It was fun and better than sitting at home, but not what I expected or was hoping for.

#44039 - 12/03/02 09:45 PM Re: Madrid:Academia Contacto Review
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Sorry to hear about your disappointing experience, Katherine. That's a shame. Soooo... you'd say you DID NOT get your money's worth? Didn't you go out with ANY Spanish-speakers outside of class hours? My goodness. frown

Better luck next time! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#44040 - 12/04/02 09:22 AM Re: Madrid:Academia Contacto Review
Katherine Offline

Well, I did not meet anyone at all--Spanish or otherwise. I was thinking that since I did learn some Spanish that I got my money's worth, but really, I picked that school for the lunches with the class and the activities. I didn't get any of that, so, no, I didn't get my money's worth. However, surely if people were able to get into a class, even without the lunches and activities, it would be possible to have a good time and meet people.

One day, I did get a coffee with my teacher after class. I embarrassed myself pretty good by responding over-enthusiastically when she asked if I wanted to get a coffee. After the fastest coffee I've ever had, I followed her around while she ran an errand. I don't think she meant for me to do that actually. She finally shook me off when she went in the Metro. I was just so happy to finally talk to someone besides giving my order to a waiter.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments