Well, I'm back, after a wonderful trip. In the spirit of giving back to the board, here's my feedback on the places I stayed in:

Thumbs up:

Madrid: Hostal Cervantes

All in all, a good experience. I stayed there at the beginning and at the end of my trip. Was surprised that, although I had spoken with folks on the phone who spoke a small amount of English (which is one reason I decided to stay there), when I got to the hostal, those people were nowhere in sight. The owner, Jorge, and his wife keep the place spotless, and are very nice, however. A second surprise was being given a tiny room with a bathroom down the hall when I had reserved one "en suite." In all fairness, the bathroom was all mine, and I was charged less for that room, but again, it wasn't what I had planned on . . . Upon my second stay, I received a much larger room with two beds that had its own bathroom. My third surprise was that I was asked to pay in cash, although I was under the impression that I could use a credit card. The birdcage elevator was a plus, as was the phone box in the reception area (no phones in the rooms). The bottom line is that I would stay there again because of the great location (minutes from the museums), the hostal's cleanliness and safety, and the friendliness of the owners (even though most of the time we couldn't understand each other!). Financially, however, I'm not sure that it was such a bargain--the tiny room was 33 Euros, and the larger one was 45.

Granada: Hostal Lisboa

Only stayed there for one night, so have a brief impression: clean, with elevator, and telephone in room. Inexpensive (around 25 Euros for single room with bath). Good location. Would stay there again.

Sevilla: Hotel Murillo

Good, good experience. Nice room with two beds, helpful, English-speaking staff, great location in Santa Cruz quarter. Phones in rooms, air conditioning, but didn't see an elevator. Was originally charged 44 Euros for single room with bath but when I added an extra night to my four-night stay, they lowered the price to 41 without my asking, which I thought was classy. Breakfast, which is about 3.75 Euros, is good. Would definitely stay there again.

No-no's:

Sevilla: Hostal Arenal, Hostal Buen Dormir/Good Sleep

The first is in a good location near the bull ring but is a dump (although the room there which must be the equivalent of the "honeymoon suite," which I ended up staying in because the first room I was assigned was simply terrible, did have a Jacuzzi!) . . . The second place, in the Santa Cruz quarter, I had inquired about, but was turned off by the person I spoke with on the phone. Later, I met someone who stayed there and moved out after one night because she had such a bad experience, so I'm glad I opted for elsewhere.

Hope this has been helpful!