Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43662 - 02/17/02 01:43 PM Singers
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
In trying to improve my Spanish-speaking abilities, I like to listen to recordings of entertainers who have a tendency to sing slowly and clearly (for example Vikki Carr) on either my Walkman or portable CD player as I amble along the sidewalks of New York. Any recommendations from fellow MadridMan members as to specific Spanish language singers whose CDs I might purchase would be very much appreciated.

#43663 - 02/17/02 10:46 PM Re: Singers
nevado Offline

Here are a few to start:

Maná
Ella Baila Sola
Los Secretos
Rosana
Ana Belen
Serrat
Jarabe de Palo

#43664 - 02/18/02 11:43 AM Re: Singers
arthurg Offline

Many thanks, Nevado

#43665 - 02/18/02 04:21 PM Re: Singers
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Arthurg, you can often find the lyrics of Spanish songs online if you type in the name of the song and the artist's name (they are often available as guitar-playing charts, with chords or whatever). I have found it helpful to have the lyrics in front of me as I listen, too.
Tara smile

#43666 - 02/19/02 04:29 PM Re: Singers
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
arthurg: I've found that the castellano-speaking singers have a little more clarity in their voice as a rule than the Latin American singers. There are exceptions, but as a whole, the Spaniards seem to be clearer.

That having been said, I actually recommend an Italian, Eros Ramazzotti, when people ask me for some good "easy (to understand) listening" Spanish music. The upside on that is that it's not horrible to listen too, either!

#43667 - 02/19/02 04:43 PM Re: Singers
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I would agree about Ramazzotti--he's nice to listen to and his lyrics are easy to understand.

Tara smile

#43668 - 02/19/02 06:13 PM Re: Singers
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Yes! Eros is one of my favorite singers. However, I have found two Latino singers easy to understand too.... Marc Anthony (salsa) and Jon Secada (Latino pop).

Duncan Dhu, although old (15 years or so ago), is still great and also easy to listen to.

I just consulted my CD collection... Ilan Chester (Venezuelan) is easy listening (latino pop) and is easy to understand as is Orquestra de La Luz (a Japanese group that sings in Spanish...salsa!).

viva la música!

#43669 - 02/19/02 09:39 PM Re: Singers
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
I think Jose Luis Perales is probably the easiest singer to understand. He sings soft ballads. I used part of one of his songs in the first week of a beginning Spanish class I once taught.

Also try: Joan Manuel Serrat (when he sings in Castellano) and Silvio Rodriguez. Silvio's album Cuba Classics contains English translations of all songs.

#43670 - 02/20/02 03:58 PM Re: Singers
Tia Offline

There are many different ways to improve the language skills and listening to great music is excellent. Several good singers have been recommended above but I thought of something else. I went to the library today to find a pocket book in Spanish and came home with a box with four tapes. smile It´s Laura Esquivels book 'Como agua para chocolate' (I think it´s a movie too) read by a Spanish speaking person. I´ve never LISTENED to a book before so it´ll be very interesting. I don´t know if these things are common in the US. Here in Sweden the elder people who have some problems with reading listen to those tapes (usually in Swedish though ;)) but nowadays even others who are 'too lazy to read themselves' borrow the tapes. They are for sale in the book stores too, but I don´t think they´re worth buying.

#43671 - 02/20/02 09:56 PM Re: Singers
arthurg Offline

Many thanks to nevado,taravb,CaliBasco,Chica,caminante and Tia. You've all made some wonderful suggestions and given me a lot of food for thought. I'm really impressed by your collective creativity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments