Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#4349 - 06/18/02 04:09 PM Madrid in November 2002
AnotherAtlantaMike Offline

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
First off, to MM, great site. I've found a lot of useful information here.
My 1st trip to Spain was just 4 weeks ago in May. Spent a great week in Barcelona. Enjoyed it so much, I'm looking at spending the last week of November in Madrid.
I need suggestions on areas and hostals for accomadations. I'm looking for a happy compromise between the bar areas for a 42 YO-GWM and a 52 YO-SWF. I know I want to be close to the Chueca area, but where would an area be that my traveling partner would feel safe on her own, and letting her hair down, so to speak. Gran Via ? Puerta Del Sol ? Plaza Mayor ? Salamanca ? Any others I haven't read about ? I want to be within walking distance for both of us, but am having a hard time gauging distances in central Madrid. As far as the hostal itself, I know she'll want 2 beds, full bath, 24 hour access, and to have a safe available.
On a 2nd front, what kind of weather should one expect for the last week of November ? Are all the outdoor cafes closed tight for the season ?

#4350 - 06/18/02 06:04 PM Re: Madrid in November 2002
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello AnotherAtlantaMike! Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board! I'd be happy to give you my opinion on your situation. And really, I think it's a pretty easy answer to/for me.

Me, being a 36-YO SWM with a "ladyfriend" IN Madrid, EVERYTHING in central Madrid is within walking distance. I suppose if you wanted to save 5-minutes walking then find a hostel (called "hostal" in Spanish) along Gran Vía as it is about 5-minutes closer to Chueca than is Puerta Del Sol and maybe 10-minutes closer than Plaza Mayor.. maybe even less if you walk swiftly.

I can personally recommend Antonio's Hostal Chelo ; and NOT because he's an administrator on this message board but because I have spent a comfortable night there and visited him a number of other times during the day. It's located on Calle de Hortaleza, about a block north of the Gran Vía and 2-3 blocks south of Chueca. I don't think they have safes available in the room though.

Not many hostels have safes in rooms, but some do. I recall that Hostal Cervelo on Calle de Atocha & Hostal Aresol on the Puerta del Sol did.

There are many many hostels from which to choose in the Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol, and Gran Vía areas.. all are a short walk to Chueca and also the other hot spots of Madrid. The Huertas area might be just a little too far to walk after a long night of dancing/partying in the Chueca area, though, but it's also in the heart of the another HOT nightlight area in Madrid (in Huertas).

And yes, all outdoor cafés will be closed by, probably, the end of October. Weather will be cold at night, but Madrid rarely gets below freezing (32ºF/0ºC) in the heart of winter. I was in Madrid over Christmas/New Years and while it did snow one day, I was perfectly comfortable with a leather jacket and liner and not wearing a hat. You can see Madrid's month-by-month climate guide HERE on the USATODAY.com weather page for that city.

Have a GREAT time! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#4351 - 06/19/02 02:36 PM Re: Madrid in November 2002
AnotherAtlantaMike Offline

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
MM, thanks for the comments. Soulds like I can get anywhere in the central city in about a 15 to 20 minute walk, where ever we decide to stay at. That's cool. For someone who gets to NYC as often as I can, that's no big inconvenience. Now if it's 0 degrees Celsius at the end of November, with a full pitcher of sangria under the belt, I might regret having said that ! rolleyes
As personal input, for 1st time travelers to Madrid, what neighborhood would you suggest to stay in that best represents the best that Madrid has to offer ? Don't mean to put you on the spot - I'm sure for you every neighborhood as it's positive points. wink

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments