Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#43345 - 03/18/01 01:04 PM A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Could some one please translate "no hace falta"? Gracias!

#43346 - 03/18/01 06:11 PM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
Arturo Offline

Loc: New York, NY USA
"It is not necessary"

I double checked this at http://www.altavista.com

The translate link is pretty good for translating from English to Spanish or Spanish to English. You can even enter a web page in Spanish and get a reasonable English translation. This has been helpful in planning my trip to Malaga next week.

#43347 - 03/18/01 06:30 PM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
some nuances of "no hace falta": "oh, please don't bother" (said to decline something politely). "It's ok, I can do it" (again, politely declining something).

#43348 - 03/18/01 08:43 PM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Thanks, folks, for the translation. The Hotel Esmeralda in Comillas replied by fax with "no hace falta el numero de Visa" and I couldn't figure out whether they do or do not need my credit card number.

#43349 - 03/19/01 06:29 AM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Maybe they are referring to Visa (Pasaporte) and you are referring to Tarjeta de Credito (Visa). I don't know about that hotel but several (incl. CondeDuque in Bilbao) asked me for the Credit Card No. to guarantee our reservation. I avoided semantic difficulty by using my MasterCard (which has a smaller foreign exchange surcharge).

'No hace falta' means it's not necessary.

#43350 - 03/19/01 10:42 AM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Some hotels won't require your credit card number if you plan to arrive early in the day. I made most of my reservations over e-mail, and didn't want to send my credit card info over the internet, and several of the hotels were fine with that as long as I assured them we would be arriving by about 2:00 (14h) p.m.

#43351 - 03/19/01 12:50 PM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Some hostales have wanted our credit card number (especially if we are planning to arrive late) but others have said "no hace falta..." which I now know means "no es necesario." I really don't have a problem with providing this information when it's needed.

#43352 - 04/12/01 10:21 AM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

A question for the Spanish speakers. Como se dice? "We visited Spain fifteen years ago." I know it goes something like "Hace quince anos..." Thanks for your help!--Carole

#43353 - 04/12/01 10:40 AM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Here I have some suggestions based on context:

- Estuvimos en España hace quince años
- Nuestro último viaje por España fue hace quince años

In conversations, I don't think I'd say "visitamos España hace 15 años". In my opinion visitar is more for visiting people than places.

#43354 - 04/12/01 11:23 AM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
«Hace quince años que pasamos por (venimos a) España.»

Although this could also mean "We've been in Spain for fifteen years...I would use "venimos"...

Of course you could say «Y a tí, ¿qué te importa si vengo o no?» Which of course would be quite rude, and would cause people wonder if you're really from France... smile

#43355 - 04/12/01 11:31 AM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
connie Offline

An important thing to bear in mind in the usage of venir: as far as I know, you cannot say venir unless you are physically present at the place you are referring to- venir and come are not identically used. Hence, you can ask someone on the phone who intends to visit you: ¿Cuándo vas a venir? -but the other person cannot answer: vengo mañana-since he or she is still at a different location.

#43356 - 04/12/01 08:09 PM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

It's the "ago" part that I'm having trouble with. If I want to say "I read it ten years ago," do I say "Hace diez anos que lo leo (or lei)?" Or "I saw her five years ago"--Hace cinco anos que la veo (or la vi). Do I use present or preterite tense and do I begin with the "hace" part?

#43357 - 04/12/01 08:35 PM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Both possibilites are correct but meaning is different though.

Hace diez años que lo leo - I've had the habitude of reading "it" for the last ten years.

Hece diez años que lo leí - Ten years ago I read it once.

#43358 - 04/12/01 08:39 PM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
perfecta Offline

Loc: Minot, ND, USA
To my ear to say something happened a certain time ago you need the preterite verb. The same expression with a present tense verb would indicate the activity began a certain time ago and continues.

Hace 3 anos que estudio espanol.
I have studied Spanish for 3years.

Hace 3 anos que comence la clase de espanol.
Three years ago I began Spanish class.

#43359 - 04/13/01 03:58 PM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Hey connie, thanks for the tip on usage of venir. I observed that there was something different between our come/ go and venir/ ir, since if the phone was for my Spanish sister she would say "Voy!" not "Vengo!" But I never made the connection to it having to do with where the speaker actually is. Cool.

#43360 - 04/14/01 06:20 AM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
Rafael Offline

Loc: Riverside, California, USA
to key the ñ you have to press ALT + 164

I am seeing that some persons are using n instead of ñ.
the word "año" means year
the word "ano" means anus

Rafael

#43361 - 04/14/01 11:47 AM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
perfecta Offline

Loc: Minot, ND, USA
Gracias por avisarme de las distinciones entre la n y...bueno la otra...pero por ser vaga (y no muy sabia con el PC de la casa) no las marco....intentare (falta de tilde) comunicarme desde el ordenador 'manzana' de mi escuela y asi (falta de tilde) evitarme la critica (falta de tilde).......Creo que es el momento de mencionar mi libro favorito, 'Cien Anos de Soledad' (!!!???) laugh

#43362 - 04/14/01 02:05 PM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
Tia Offline

jajajajaj ¡pobrecita, Soledad!
Quiero recomendar un diccionario: www.vox.es
Saludos de tiajohanna

#43363 - 04/14/01 11:14 PM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Sorry, I don't know how to make the "enye" on the computer. Como se hace?

#43364 - 04/20/01 09:35 AM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
davej Offline

Loc: Nerja, Málaga, Spain
To type the ñ character on a non-Spanish keyboard, first make sure the number pad is set to numbers (i.e. switch on Number Lock). Then press the ALT key and hold it down, while keying in the number 164. (Trying to use the numbers along the top of the keyboard will not work.)

This produces the lower-case ñ. For the upper-case Ñ, type ALT+165.

Any character not on your keyboard can be accessed this way if you know its 3-number "code". For example, I'm from the UK and here in Spain, to type the British symbol for the pound (£) on my Spanish keyboard, I have to type ALT+156.

Hope this helps!

dave

#43365 - 04/20/01 07:36 PM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for the help, Dave. Now--how do I make an accent mark?

#43366 - 04/20/01 07:59 PM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Carole Chiaro, you'll find full instructions about how to make accented Spanish characters in the " Spanish on US computer keyboards " thread from last month.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#43367 - 04/21/01 12:39 PM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Thanks, MM. Don't know how I missed that thread.

#43368 - 04/21/01 02:23 PM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Hola a todos-
-That was hilarious about Cien Años de Soledad! Quizá, por lo menos, ¡se pueden juntar, pá que no estén tan solos!
-By the way, to do the ñ on a Mac (MM's favorite, I know!), you press, at the same time, option and n- then release and press the n again. ¡Voila! You have your ñ! (to do the exclamation mark on a Mac, just press opiton and ! and the same time, then release)
-Hablando de ir/venir...
Me gusta, no sé porqué, la frase "ahora vengo", cuando uno quiere decir que "I'll be right there", o algo así... (dicho con acento andaluz, por supuesto)

"Volando voy. Volando vengo. Volando voy. Volando vengo. Por el camino yo me entretengo. Por el camino yo me entretengo....Enamorao de la vida, a veces duele,
enamorao de la vida, a veces duele... (Camarón de la Isla)

Hasta luegoooo
Jen

[ 04-21-2001: Message edited by: Jen ]

#43369 - 04/29/01 04:04 AM Re: A question (translation) for the Spanish speakers.
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Rafael

Have a look at

sitios favoritos, by marval96

and then do a Spanish to English translation (eg with Babelfish) on it.

It gave my children some amusement! laugh

Jo-Anne

[ 04-29-2001: Message edited by: Jo-Anne ]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments